Fuel Pump Replacement Issue

1997 Mariner 175hp EFI Ser 0G594624. Took my engine to mechanic for service due to head issue. Got the engine back and it was running, but would not start after flushing fuel from tanks, changing hose and bulb, rebuilding lowe pressure pump, changing filter/water separator, taking off VST and changing o-ring and high pressure fuel pump. With the battery "on" there is 12v at the positive lug and the negative lug jumped out the pump does not run. The engine will crank and put fuel into the bottom of the VST, but no fuel pressure.

What should I be checking to get fuel pump to operate?
    1997 Mariner 175hp EFI ser #0G594XXX

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please clarify that you are checking with the key ON, supply a ground to the Negative side of pump, and the pump still does not operate?

If so, do not overthink the situation. 12V+ and 12V- supplied, the pump should be running. If not, it's toast.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 08-16-2018 at 02:50 PM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Good point should be running will order new pump and reinstall.
    1997 Mariner 175hp EFI ser #0G594XXX