1984 Ranger 373v - Recessed trolling pedal tray

Hey all -

I put on a new Minnkota on this boat, and have yet to even screw down the pedal. I am thinking of installing a recessed tray, but this boat is old and I have no idea of stringer/bracing configuration up front. Any one know of any diagrams online or have any experience with this? Is this even a good idea, or should I just screw the darn thing down and be done with it?

Thank You!

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    I've done a Chit load of them in rangers, and I can tell you Rangers SUCK!!! I have one. Any way you won't hit any kind of support at all. What you will hit is a Shiat load of foam, and the front storage compartment. I have a template made out of 1/4" plywood, I set it in place and screw it down. If it has carpet I cut the carpet, pull up the template and then the carpet, and then cut the hole. A jig saw will work for most of it, I'll use my 4" angle grinder to cut the front of the compartment straight, just enough to get the tray in. You will have to dig out the foam and run a hose down to the drain in the compartment. It takes me about 30 minutes to put one in.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

3. Member
    Cool, thanks Scott - been out of town and just getting to read this.... I hear ya on the foam - just dealing with the bow electrical panel and running some wires was a PAIN. Foam EVERYWHERE! Again, thanks for the advice.

Drill a 1/4" hole at each corner of your outline. I used a cutting wheel on my die grinder after breaking the 3rd blad on a jig saw. After you cut the outline in the deck, cut an X corner to corner. Use a claw hammer to pry up each piece. 4 pieces are easier to remove than 1 big piece as it will have foam stuck on the back. You may cut into your center storage so be mindful of a wire from the front panel to the storage light. Use the claw hammer to dig out the foam for the pedal box and also a drain hole all the way to the keel. If your recess box has a curved side, be sure you mark the cutout facing the right way. I'd locate the position of the box as if you were sitting on the butt seat and using the pedal. In the older Rangers this means as far forward as you can.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

5. Member
    Hey Kick Bass, the other thing you have to consider is the front live well on the 373 is pretty long and when you cut out for the recess you will be cutting into the live well area. Also there isn't much room forward of your front seat post for anything, I didn't even screw my foot control down so I could move it around depending on what side of the boat I am fishing on.
    1987 Ranger 373V 150 Yamaha proV still going strong.

6. Member
    X2 ON WHAT OLD373GUY SAID.

7. Member
    I am in progress on refitting an 84 373v and most of the plumbing and electrical is gone so I have little to work from. If you wouldn't mind posting some detail pics of your boat like inside the battery/fuel tank area and the live well pump/plumbing it would really help me out. If not that's ok. I don't expect you to go out and pull a boat out of storage just for me lol.

8. Member
    Yep in most of these older 3 series you'll be cutting into a front compartment or a livewell. It's not a big deal if you go slow and use a fiberglass tray. Turned out really nice on my 354V. I did have to contour the back wall of my front storage compartment to my tray. Also the foam... these Rangers have a lot of foam up front. Be prepared for that.

9. Member
    did you put the tray in yet. Waiting to hear before I do my 91 370 v

10. Member
    If you have any inkling that you may go to an electric steer TM in the future, don't cut your boat. I contemplated for years about putting in a recessed tray in my old Ranger, but I never did. Time came to upgrade my MK 42AT TM, to an #80 Terrova with it's low profile electric pedal. I am sooo glad I didn't cut my boat. Most of the time my pedal is laying on the bow between the bow light pole and the TM base, I use the remote to control the TM. This really clears up the front of the boat and makes it fish larger.