MSU Percussion Professor bmas13's Avatar

Kenmore Elite Dryer Problem

Wondering if anyone can shed some light on this. My dryer is blowing cold air, so I changed the High Limit Thermostat, the Thermal Fuse, and the Heating element and still, only cold air. I checked the other fuse on the vent/blower and it had continuity, as well as getting ohm readings on the Thermistor. I'm completely at a loss. Once I figured out how to use the multimeter I realized that the parts I replaced weren't defective. The issue lies somewhere else, but I don't know where to look. The dryer is a Kenmore Elite, model number 110.64982301 and was purchased in 2000. Any insight/help would certainly be appreciated, because my next step is taking the plunge on a new washer and dryer combo.

Timer.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Did you check the breakers? I only say this because I went through this same situation once several years ago and learned my lesson the hard way... I went out and purchased a new set just to get it home and have it do the same thing. After calling out a repair man, I was rather embarrassed when he walked over to the panel and reset the breaker, everything then worked just fine.

First check for 240v where the cord connects to the dryer. It will run off of 120v but not heat. If you don't have 240v cut off your breaker an pull the cover off the dryer plug and look for burnt wires. If the wires are burnt replace the plug and the cord. If not check the breaker.

If you have 240v at the dryer then I would look at the timer. If you find the wiring diagram you can determine which terimals operate the heater and ohm them out to see if the timer is bad.

Good luck

5. MSU Percussion Professor bmas13's Avatar
    Thanks guys!!!! I did check the breaker and all was OK there (thankfully was the first thing I did - YouTube had some good info). Onto the cord and timer now.

6. Member
    There may be two cartridge fuses on the back of the dryer where the power cord goes into the dryer. There may also be some inside near the heating element.

7. MSU Percussion Professor bmas13's Avatar
    Again, thanks to all who helped provide expertise and insight for troubleshooting the problem. Because I didn't want to remove the drum and possibly create more problems, I took the dryer to a local repair store. They initially thought it was the timer, but after getting into it, they said the centrifugal switch on the motor was obstructed - so they used compressed air to clean it out and that took care of it. I now have a few extra fuses and a lot more expertise for when it goes on the fritz again...and hopefully I can get another 10 years out of it!

You can get a repair book for Kenmore washers and dryers that will have trouble shooting info and how to instructions. I used to have one and was able to get 20+yrs out of ours and saved a ton on repair costs. Course now, there's YouTube, lol !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

There are 3 controllers,. A high limit, a thermal fuse and a cut out. Change the cutout