Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Lots of people looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, just tie a double uni.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesjet View Post
    Probably not the best, but I use a blood knot. I have never had one fail and it goes through the guides well. I have been tying it since I was 10 though, grew up flyfishing and making leaders myself.
    Nothing wrong with a blood knot. We've traveled the same road. I also use a knot that Bryan Thrift showed me years ago. Must be a good one or he wouldn't have used it! Really don't know what it's called though.

Shin's knot is my all-situations knot now. I recently learned it's also often called the "lazy" or "half" Alberto.

I used to be an FG disciple, but really don't like the fact that a bad knot might not show itself until after a couple hundred casts as it slowly works its way loose. I also eventually decided that the "thin" factor is overrated. Sure it's thin, but it's also about 4 times as long as other options. A long knot struggles getting through the guides almost as much as a fat one.

I can tie Shin's knot MUCH faster and more reliably than an Alberto, somewhat faster than an Albright, it's slightly thinner than both due to the braid not being wrapped over itself, and it's very strong. Win-win-win.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DougL58 View Post
    I have been using Lefty Kreh's knot for a few years now. Very easy to tie, no glasses needed, can even tie while on the boat no problem.

Doug, thank you for posting that knot. Finally a knot I can remember how to tie. Just went out to the boat and tied that knot about a dozen times. Simple and effective.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    Doug, thank you for posting that knot. Finally a knot I can remember how to tie. Just went out to the boat and tied that knot about a dozen times. Simple and effective.
    Lefty was a fly fisherman with quite a career. He passed in March. Look him up. Love the knot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    Lots of people looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, just tie a double uni.
    My problem with the double uni was every time I got snagged, I always broke off at the leader knot instead of the hook. Never lost any fish, but found it annoying. With the alberto, I almost always break off the at the bait when I get snagged. Fishing open water I'd probably tie a uni/uni as it is quick and easy.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

Tied the uni uni today. I'm tired of messing around with it. Blood knot looks easy I might try it out.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel14 View Post
    Tied the uni uni today. I'm tired of messing around with it. Blood knot looks easy I might try it out.
    Don't give up... I wish I could paint you a better picture with words. The system I tried to explain will produce a knot that is extremely strong and the most compact you can get

9. Member
    Alberto knot... i like, easy, whatever u use, get it tight and it will be fine

10. Member
    On the boat the double uni. Off the boat, I've been tying the FG. Here was the trick that makes it easier for me. I tie a loop in my main line, then slip it on the split ring or clip on my line cutters. Lay the line behind my neck and lean the rod away so that the line is tight. After that, I just do the wraps (typically 30, 15 each side). Overhand knot in the leader around the main line 2x before cutting the tag, then 2 overhand knots of the mainline before cutting the tag.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

11. Member
    Double uni is very simple to tie and, if done correctly, very strong and reliable. However, any knot will give you problems if your using light lines and and have the hook set of Popeye on roids. I no longer have problems since I dialed the hook sets down and lightened the drag.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DougL58 View Post
    I have been using Lefty Kreh's knot for a few years now. Very easy to tie, no glasses needed, can even tie while on the boat no problem.

This

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12