Ulterra As Nice As It Appears

Or as shitty as some reviews I've read. How they crap out quickly. Reliable?

Also, does the Riptide variant come with a foot pedal or not? The price increase is minimal from what I could tell. I'm thinking I prefer the white color since it'll match the boat.

2. Member
    My Ulterra is over 2 years old and has been flawless. I would buy it again. I don't know the answer to your Riptide question
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Mercury Spitfire X7 19” prop
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    4.2 second Hole Shot (measured using Vessel View Mobile)
    Engine mounted in 3rd hole
    Minn Kota Ulterra-Link w/built in MDI 80 lb thrust 60” shaft
    Humminbird Helix 12si Gen1 chirp on console
    Humminbird Helix 15si Gen4 cho on bow
    Humminbird Mega360

Dotline two step transom boarding ladder
    Tracker trailer bow boarding step

3. Member
    I have the 112# Riptide model, it did not come with a foot pedal. I love mine.

I've had mine since Feb and so glad I bought it. Works flawlessly so far and I don't expect any issues.
    Pat Leach

USAF MSgt Retired

1992 Procraft 180 Pro
    2016 Mercury 150 Four Stroke
    2018 Minn Kota Ulterra
    Helix 7 SI/GPS
    Helix 7 Sonar/GPS

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billwahoo View Post
    I have the 112# Riptide model, it did not come with a foot pedal. I love mine.
    can you plug in a foot pedal?

The riptide does not come with a pedal but you can hook one up to it. The plug is already there so just order a pedal,only thing at least last year is the pedal comes in black only.
    Vexus DVX19

No problem with my ultrex , some people have motives that they don’t disclose , every product has some problems but I love mine .

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    No problem with my ultrex , some people have motives that they don’t disclose , every product has some problems but I love mine .
    Can you expound on this?

Quote Originally Posted by BoilermakerRT178 View Post
    Can you expound on this?
    Some work for the other company that makes trolling motors or may have been denied sponsorship by MK , and some bad reviews are due to the fact that some can’t be pleased with anything they buy . Just don’t believe everything on here .

10. Joe4d
    MK tries,, but lots of gadgets means lots of failures,,, i never had an issue wth plain ole hard cable steer... can drive, can not drive, left , right, Im good KISS

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    Some work for the other company that makes trolling motors or may have been denied sponsorship by MK , and some bad reviews are due to the fact that some can’t be pleased with anything they buy . Just don’t believe everything on here .
    Yep, agree on the aspect of don’t believe everything on here. I have also seen forums discourage members from give disparaging opinions on products made by board sponsors. I think that is much more common than you think.

On the people that that never seemed to be pleased, I still want to read their opinion. It might give me something to consider that I might not have thought about before. Also, how much weight to be placed on it should be at the discretion of the reader.
    Last edited by BoilermakerRT178; 08-20-2018 at 10:34 PM.

12. Member
    I love mine. It took me a while to get use to some features but I love it. The stow and deploy are a god send. Didn't trust it until the water was warm enough to swim to boat if it didn't work. But since I took that first leap I do it all the time now. Pull up to the ramp parking lot, un-hook the bow tie down and transom straps, close the drain, and last and most important TURN ON TROLLING MOTOR and make sure you have the remote. All's good. Dump boat in water, deploy and spot lock. Park truck walk to dock and the boat will them come and pick you up. Have had -0- issues.

13. Member
    I have a saltwater and freshwater ulterra and both have been great. Saltwater model does not come with built in transducer, which is the reason I also have a freshwater model.

Edit: I should also add that my Dad has a freshwater one on his boat and it has been great too. I do have a buddy that has one of the first ones of the first generation and it has been nothing but trouble. He has had multiple instances of it getting stuck in the deployed position. It's been in for repairs 3 times but it seems to keep happening.
    Last edited by 91tiger; 08-21-2018 at 07:11 AM.

14. Member
    I posted previously about poor performance in the slop and I have a friend with an Ultrex with same issues. Seems like the motor overload protection slows down the motor so you can't power thru the heavy stuff. I've got a cutter on order that attaches to the motor which I hope fixes the issue. Other than that I love my Ulterra
    Alweld 1856 Stick Steer with 70 Yamaha
    Dual Power Pole Blades/ Helix 10 MSI
    80# Ulterra Link/2 Ionic Lithium 50s/ShuttleSlide Mount

USAF Ret

15. Member
    I'm on my second Riptide. No problems with first one but I wanted the 2nd generation spot lock.

No issues with the second one. Spot lock way better. Foot pedal was extra , but I like it. Guess
    I was just used to having the pedal. The remote is nice to sit back and operate if the grandkids
    are on the front fishing.