Thread: Boat Loan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Dealers usually know where to go based on credit scores, but rates have gone up. This current boat has the highest interest rate I have ever had on a boat. And the longest term, but I had to take it to get the rate.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

2. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    credit union

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

3. Member
    Yep mortgage rates have been creeping up so I would imagine boat loans are starting to get up there pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    So you always have a boat payment?
    No I buy in 1st year or payoff however you say it. But I get Team deal and pay the minimum plus 200 bucks to principle . that way we see the interest paid quick and gets you below loan value faster. I generally buy outright but on team deal boats I do this as I can write off use.
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

Try your local credit unions. Membership has it’s benefits. And if you have really good credit their rates are sometimes negotiable.
    We bought a new car yesterday so I called our CU to compare to what the dealer was offering. Starting rates were 3.25% for up to 72 months. Told them I was looking for something around 3%. When they called back they offered 2.79%. Couldn’t ask for better treatment on loans, or higher rates of return on a money market account.
    I also asked about boat loans purely out of curiosity. Same rate. 2.79% up to 72 months. Variable up to 4.79% for up to 8 years depending on credit. They wouldn’t go longer than 8 years.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    Try your local credit unions. Membership has it’s benefits. And if you have really good credit their rates are sometimes negotiable.
    We bought a new car yesterday so I called our CU to compare to what the dealer was offering. Starting rates were 3.25% for up to 72 months. Told them I was looking for something around 3%. When they called back they offered 2.79%. Couldn’t ask for better treatment on loans, or higher rates of return on a money market account.
    I also asked about boat loans purely out of curiosity. Same rate. 2.79% up to 72 months. Variable up to 4.79% for up to 8 years depending on credit. They wouldn’t go longer than 8 years.
    So they give you 1.5% on your money, then turn around and loan your money to you at 2.79? I'm being a bit snarky but I don't see how that's a good deal.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by b*******51 View Post
    False....you can live in a boat....but YOU CAN"T fish out of a house.....
    Can I hire you as my wife’s financial consultant?

redstone federal credit union.'Think they are located in Anniston Al. current rate is 5.45%
    I want our country back !!!

Quote Originally Posted by froggerbass View Post
    Heartwood Fence Co.

10. Member
    When I bought my boat last Oct got 1.9% from the cu. Just bought a new truck and negotiated to 1.9% from same cu. Hang in there and haggle with them.

11. Member
    Reclending here, too. Super nice folks, and very easy to deal with.

12. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lakefolk View Post
    credit union
    Usually a great rate but check with the board sponsor and others. Remember, they are working for you, shop around for the best rate regardless.

13. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    Your rate is dependent on your current and past credit rating.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

14. Banned
    Shop around lower rates are available if you have a good credit rating... Dan

Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    So they give you 1.5% on your money, then turn around and loan your money to you at 2.79? I'm being a bit snarky but I don't see how that's a good deal.
    We keep enough available funds in a CU MM account for emergencies, and occasional unscheduled expenses. Much better rates than any savings account I’ve found. A place to park money so it’s readily available same day. The rest is invested to generate compound interest rates that far exceeds that of any loans I might ever take out. I’d never consider taking money out of an investment account that makes 3-4 times the current rates I can borrow at in order to pay “cash”. That’s just me.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    We keep enough available funds in a CU MM account for emergencies, and occasional unscheduled expenses. Much better rates than any savings account I’ve found. A place to park money so it’s readily available same day. The rest is invested to generate compound interest rates that far exceeds that of any loans I might ever take out. I’d never consider taking money out of an investment account that makes 3-4 times the current rates I can borrow at in order to pay “cash”. That’s just me.
    I have enjoyed on conversations on this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by froggerbass View Post
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

18. Banned
    I shopped around when I purchased. My best deal came from a local credit union. Even the dealer finance person couldn't beat the rate I got with a CU.

Really, it's all dependent on your credit score/history and how willing a dealer is to not make much on the financing side of the deal.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass8 View Post
    When I bought my boat last Oct got 1.9% from the cu. Just bought a new truck and negotiated to 1.9% from same cu. Hang in there and haggle with them.

and I thought I got a great deal two years ago with 3.2% from my Credit Union ha. Wow!!!

Curious if these CU rates are for 10 years, or are they 5 years and less?
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast