Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2019 Phoenix 920 XP towing long distance???

All, I ordered a new 2019 Phoenix 920 XP a few months ago and was told today it will be ready noon on Friday for pickup. I am flying out to pick it up. I am going to tow it back to Central FL from Kentucky. Any tips on towing that long of a drive? I am new to boating as my 15 year old got me into it and I am hooked. (No Pun intended). Just want to know any tips for traveling over 800 miles home with my new bird. I also have the new v-8 4 stroke merc on it as well with matching colors on the engine. Pretty excited to test it out and fish some tournaments.

2. Member
    make sure tire pressures are good (all 5) before leaving and hubs are full- needs pics!!!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    have the dealer check the torque on the trailer lug nuts in addition to the air.

take your time, keep your distance between vehicles in front of you, and double check your mirrors. I look in my mirrors every few minutes even if I am not making a lane change.

4. Scraps
    I made an 8 hr trip to pick mine up - in KY. Just take your time. Tire pressure is about all you can worry about. On your trip, make sure you're getting brake applications. Look at the discs when stopping to see that they're clean and shiny and working. I think I picked a boat up with the brakes not working 100%.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

5. Member
    In addition to what others have said, make sure you check your straps, winch, and engine on the transom saver whenever you stop for gas and/or food.
    2022 Phoenix 721 / 250 Mercury ProXs / MK Ultrex
    HB Helix 12 G4N / Garmin 106sv / Livescope

6. Member
    Wally World sells a floor jack in a handled case. That and a full size lug wrench and you’re good to
    go. Drove Houston to waynesboro VA (19 hours) to get my used 2 year old rig and it was fine. No issues.
    2014 920/SHO

7. Member
    Hopefully you order the gatorhyde trailer, if not, I would get the Rock Tamers mud flaps for your tow vehicle to protect from rock chips.

8. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Congrats on your new boat!
    The boats tow real nice, you'll be fine. Just keep your wits about yourself.
    When you stop for a break, carefully check your hubs to be sure they aren't real hot.
    Check cover to be sure it's still tight. If not crank the straps a little.
    Be safe and have a nice trip!

9. Scraps
    My dealer suggested I tow back home with cover on.........to save on gas. If you do, might wanna wrap your cap with saran wrap. You'll get scuff marks just under the cap where the cover strap wraps around the hull. I didn't know I got these until I sighted down the side of the boat. They can be buffed out but who wants to do that on a new boat.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    My dealer suggested I tow back home with cover on.........to save on gas. If you do, might wanna wrap your cap with saran wrap. You'll get scuff marks just under the cap where the cover strap wraps around the hull. I didn't know I got these until I sighted down the side of the boat. They can be buffed out but who wants to do that on a new boat.

If you tow with the cover on I would suggest that you remove the windshield(s). As for the saran wrap..... If you learn to put the cover on correctly it WILL NOT scuff the boat. I have towed THOUSANDS of miles with my cover on and have NEVER had a scuff mark. Get the cover tight and then pull the cover down on one side and crank it TIGHT. Do the same on the other side and crank it TIGHT. The other thing I would suggest you bring is a torque wrench as you will have to check/re-torque the lug nuts after about 100 miles. I checked mine twice on my 300 mile trip back home when I picked up my new one. Re-torqued the first time and it was fine the second. Good luck.

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades

11. Member
    Check your ball also on fill ups.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by caddyjoe77 View Post
    have the dealer check the torque on the trailer lug nuts in addition to the air.

take your time, keep your distance between vehicles in front of you, and double check your mirrors. I look in my mirrors every few minutes even if I am not making a lane change.
    No. Take your own torque wrench and check your own lug torque. Check it again after 50 and 100 miles. Don't trust a dealer to do that. I made that mistake and nearly had a wheel fall off on the 1.5 hour drive home with my new boat.

13. Member
    Make sure you have the right adaptor to plug into you tow vehicle. The Phoenix trailer is a flat 5 pin.
    2011 721
    2021 250 Mercury 4S, Fury 24

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMork View Post
    Make sure you have the right adaptor to plug into you tow vehicle. The Phoenix trailer is a flat 5 pin.
    My 17 is the round plug, not the flat

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    My 17 is the round plug, not the flat
    My '15 is the large round plug, a '19 should also be the large round plug.
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

16. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Edwards View Post
    My '15 is the large round plug, a '19 should also be the large round plug.
    they are , they have been a standard 7 pin round for quite a few years now
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

17. Member
    Make sure you carry a ratchet and socket to change a flat. I four way lug wrench won't work on my wheels.

18. Member
    sent you a private message

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tourpro View Post
    All, I ordered a new 2019 Phoenix 920 XP a few months ago and was told today it will be ready noon on Friday for pickup. I am flying out to pick it up. I am going to tow it back to Central FL from Kentucky. Any tips on towing that long of a drive? I am new to boating as my 15 year old got me into it and I am hooked. (No Pun intended). Just want to know any tips for traveling over 800 miles home with my new bird. I also have the new v-8 4 stroke merc on it as well with matching colors on the engine. Pretty excited to test it out and fish some tournaments.
    Where are you renting truck from to tow

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by txbass1 View Post
    Wally World sells a floor jack in a handled case. That and a full size lug wrench and you’re good to
    go. Drove Houston to waynesboro VA (19 hours) to get my used 2 year old rig and it was fine. No issues.
    What he said. Floor jack is your friend & full size 4 way
    Matthew 6:33
    2020 921elite

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast