Thread: Hook cutters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hook cutters

Anyone here use them? I gut hooked a pretty good fish today and couldn't get the damn hook out. Makes me think cutting it as short as possible might help it survive. Any input would be appreciated. Thinking of getting one.
    I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

2. Member
    Pair of Klein side cutting dikes are always in my boat.

3. Member
    Yeah I keep side cutters on my boat for a couple reasons. For one if I hook one where its really close to the eye ill just cut the barb and remove it without ripping the fishes eye out. Hooks are cheap and it doesn't take much time to retie.

Same applies to hooking them deep if the hook comes through to the outside. Way easier and IMO faster to just cut the barb.

Plus if I put a treble in my hand ill just cut it off the bait vs trying to get it off the splint ring using only one hand.

4. Member
    Have a pair made by a company in Fla. and when I talked to them about 2 years ago trying to get a pair for a friend, no longer made. He eventually got a pair from Northern Bass who had a few pairs left. Give them a call. This cutter had opposing V shaped edges going sideways in the pliers throat and quickly cut, even HD hooks in the U bend and then you can reach in with needle nose and get the end with the barb out.

Quote Originally Posted by bill.s View Post
    He eventually got a pair from Northern Bass who had a few pairs left. Give them a call.
    Not too long ago I could just drive over to ask them. They used to be about 20 mins from me. You're talking Northern Bass Supply/Tackle Depot Supply, right?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Yeah I keep side cutters on my boat for a couple reasons. For one if I hook one where its really close to the eye ill just cut the barb and remove it without ripping the fishes eye out. Hooks are cheap and it doesn't take much time to retie.

Same applies to hooking them deep if the hook comes through to the outside. Way easier and IMO faster to just cut the barb.

Plus if I put a treble in my hand ill just cut it off the bait vs trying to get it off the splint ring using only one hand.
    I also keep a pair in the boat for all these reasons

7. Member
    I use one. Less now since I smash the barb on a lot of my fineness baits. (Tubes etc.)
    And then there's the other reason....cutting the hook that's in my hand past the barb so I can push it through!

8. triton
    I wouldn't leave the dock without a pair....I have the same ones from Northern Bass , bought them a long time ago....Tackle Wearhouse sells a set
    that work fairly well and they come in two lengths....At the weigh ins I would have anyone who had a fish gut hooked hand him to me and I'd snap
    the hook before we released the fish..

CARL MAYER
    SKEETER FX20 2016
    BARRYVILLE NY 12719

2023 FORD RAPTOR

Quote Originally Posted by triton View Post
    I wouldn't leave the dock without a pair....I have the same ones from Northern Bass , bought them a long time ago....Tackle Wearhouse sells a set
    that work fairly well and they come in two lengths....At the weigh ins I would have anyone who had a fish gut hooked hand him to me and I'd snap
    the hook before we released the fish..
    Can you tell me which are the ones TW sells that you're talking about?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chefdlh1972 View Post
    And are they stainless ??

Quote Originally Posted by bill.s View Post
    Have a pair made by a company in Fla. and when I talked to them about 2 years ago trying to get a pair for a friend, no longer made. He eventually got a pair from Northern Bass who had a few pairs left. Give them a call. This cutter had opposing V shaped edges going sideways in the pliers throat and quickly cut, even HD hooks in the U bend and then you can reach in with needle nose and get the end with the barb out.
    I think I've got a pair of what you're talking about, called a D Barb tool. It's like an end cutter and has a magnet in it to catch the barb to prevent it from going down the fish'e gullet. I've honestly never used it...the Klien dykes work like cutting butter.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

13. Member
    I keep a pair in my toolbox onboard for emergency, mainly when the hook gets in me rather than the fish! But it certainly cant hurt to cut out what you can before releaseing a tough hooked fish. Mine are Klein as well

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chefdlh1972 View Post
    Anyone here use them? I gut hooked a pretty good fish today and couldn't get the damn hook out. Makes me think cutting it as short as possible might help it survive. Any input would be appreciated. Thinking of getting one.
    Simple solution, pinch the barb down and you will never have this problem again. You will never lose a fish doing this, try it when fun fishing to see for yourself.

15. Member
    Chef, you got the link to the D-barb. I got mine at NBS...had them for years and work great
    5 Short of a limit

16. Member
    #10Today, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by chefdlh1972

And are they stainless ??
    Most stainless steel is softer by far than a hook. I carry a pair of dikes to cut hooks with if necessary. If you have to cut a hook try cutting it at the loop where the line goes, or if it's a treble cut the loop, it's not tempered there. Although there are stainless plyers with side cutters, I doubt they would last long cutting hooks.

17. Banned
    You really should learn the proper method to remove it.

https://everything-smallmouth.com/gu...-fish-removal/

18. Banned

Thanks Art. I've been able to do this before, but this one was a real pain. Not that I want to keep doing it, but maybe I need practice to learn how best to get those damn things out. Meantime, I figure it can't hurt to have a hook cutter.

20. Member
    Through the gill works, and a good pair of hemostats is a blessing use instead of pliers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast