1996 Mariner 150 magnum 3 few questions

Hi all,

Moved from the stock forum because I like starting off on the wrong foot. I just picked up a new ride with a 1996 mariner magnum III 150. Serial number 0g216527. Currently it wont idle but all other rpms it runs great. Only starts if the throttle is advanced and cold or warm if you drop it back to idle it dies immediately or struggles for a few seconds then dies. I was gonna start with the carb rebuild/sync n link since I dont know much history on this motor yet. Motor has new fuel lines, ball and fuel pump. Service manual also on the way. Anything else I should examine first?

Also since im here the motor has a bent propshaft. Like easily noticeable when I spin the prop. Is having the propshaft replaced the best option or should I just look for a straight used lower unit instead? I can change a lower unit but I dont disassemble lower units. Lol. Looks like a PO had the skeg welded back on so im assuming its from that... Will any ~90's lower unit fit with im told 1.87:1 ratio? Im assuming its only a matter of time before the lower falls apart in the bent condition.

Thanks in advance for any assistance
    2000 Skeeter ZX202
    Yamaha VMAX OX66 225

2. Member
    I think you are on the right track with the idle issue. Starting with a full link n sync is a good idea.
    If it was my motor I would probably buy a use lower, evidently he hit something and there is no telling what damage was done to the internals. I believe a rebuild for the lower would be more costly than a used one but you can inquire with a local dealer, probably depends on if it needs new gears or not. But wing as it has been welded back together I would buy a used one.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would suggest checking spark and compression before dealving into the fuel system (if everything there is ok, fuel system is next step).

Rebuild carbs, inspect reeds, perform synch-n-link (complete) and see how it does.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor