Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Loomis NRX and Megabass Destroyer for me. I just enjoy fishing with them. They are extremely light and sensitive. For me they just add to the pleasure of a day on the water.
    I agree, just more fun to fish with. Don't know if it leads to more fish in the boat, but I'm fishing for fun and I like to use stuff that I enjoy fishing with.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Those who dont have them will say no, those that do will say yes. Follow your own preferences.
    exactly, dont try a good one or you'll be doomed. kinda like a good single malt scotch

3. Member
    I build rods so I can have whatever I want. Well within reason. Biggest thing I see as a difference between some of the low end rods I have and the higher end I have built is the components used.

When I say low end I mean I have a couple Berkley Cherrywoods in my boat ill use. Those are 20 bucks at the hated empire called Bass Pro. Ill pick them up and throw them right along with custom stuff I have built without question. And when I catch a cheap rod under a cleat and break it in half I'm way less upset when its a cheap rod HAHAHAHAHA.

Anymore I just go with blanks I find on sale and put more thought into the components and my personal preference on how I like things to be.

4. Member
    I've got about three Falcon spinning rods and never really felt like I needed them. But since I've moved up here to Bull Shoals and Table Rock I find a spinning rod in my head quite often. I have a G Loomis NRX 872S that will be delivered today from the Tackle Trap, we'll see what the hype is all about plus sometimes you have to spoil yourself. Also I have a NRX 853C (casting) coming tomorrow for my wife's birthday gift. Every other rod we own is Falcon Cara with the exception of a few, anxious to see the differences.

5. Member
    I have a couple of Mojo spinning rods and a couple of the Loomis drop shot DSR 822 and I can say that it does make a difference at least at those level of rods. I just can't bring myself to spend over $400 on a rod so can't compare to NRX or Avid types.

That said I picked up a Legend Tournament flippin' (LBC80HMF) that I really like and will probably be sending Tackle Trap some more of my $$$ to get a few more of them to use. Or buy the blanks and start making my own.

You can catch fish with string and a pole if you so desire. The higher end stuff has better components, is built better, more sensitive, lighter, better balanced, etc.... That makes fishing more pleasurable and in turn, can make you a better fisherman. I like higher end stuff, but I can catch them with anything if I need to.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Loomis NRX and Megabass Destroyer for me. I just enjoy fishing with them. They are extremely light and sensitive. For me they just add to the pleasure of a day on the water.
    Well said! For chuck and wind something far less expensive will suffice.

Customs are for those that are picky!

JDM or blinged out rods are more for collectors or those that appreciate higher end things

8. Member
    I guess it's a personal choice. I use more rods in the $100-$150 range than anything else. I had a Dobyns Champion Extreme and hated it. Pretty fair Carolina Rig rod but I believe it cost me several fish on Texas rig that I would have got on another rod I own. So, it had to go.

9. Member
    I've owned (and still do) many St. Croixs over the years; Rage, Premier, Avid, Legend Tournament and Legend Elite. There is a difference in each as you move up in price; physical weight, components, warranty etc. Looking for sales (think small locally owned stores) and getting into the more expensive models without paying full retail has worked well for me over the years. I've also bought some used rods on here in the classified section that have been great deals. However, the decision is ultimately up to you.

10. Member
    I say fish with someone with a high end worm/jig rod that you can use for a couple hours. Most will see the difference in sensitivity. My buddy let me fish a Loomis (can't remember model, but under nrx) he laughed at me cause I set the hook 50 times on stuff I swore was a bite but wouldn't feel with my rod. Now I have a couple nrx's and I've laughed at a couple buddies using mine. Now.....on moving lures, no way do I need this level of rod. I've found several rods from 100-200 that are perfect for cranks, spinnerbait, and other stuff.

11. Member
    All I demand is one piece, IM8 or better, 7 foot minimum, 7+ guides and a thin fast (usually) tip. If it meets all those criteria, I'll usually fish with it. I have one Johnny Morris MH rod and reel for throwing braid in places a lure wouldn't usually come back from.
    Sensitive? Not really I guess, I could call them names and they wouldn't care. I do cash occasional checks.

For the most part I'm happy with middle of the road rods. Rods are so much better now than they used to be, even the 100 dollar rod is pretty sensitive and light. My best rods are imx gloomis rods and st croix avids, doubt I'll go any more expensive than those any time soon. The cheapest rods in the boat are a st croix triumph and a bps bionic blade, and I use them all the time, just not for things that sensitivity matters.

Though I probably will buy some of the alx zolo series this winter, really like the alx ikos promise and use a ikos hammer for fishing football jigs. Think they compare nicely with the avid x, and the ikos is a bit less expensive.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

I’ve fished with SC Premiers for years. Great rods. Then I bought a couple of Avids, and Legend Tournaments. I now own 14 of them. Yeah, they’re worth every extra dollar. I still use my Premiers occasionally, but not often.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

14. Goby King
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    Several rod builders i know claim that the Avid series blanks are the best buy on the Market for dollar to quality. My personal thoughts are that they are, along with a couple other brands in that class.
    I think the SCIII offers the best bang for the buck. I also feel Alconites are the best guide for the money. Just don't ask what I fish with! Lol

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shfishinsticks View Post
    I think the SCIII offers the best bang for the buck. I also feel Alconites are the best guide for the money. Just don't ask what I fish with! Lol
    I know the feeling!

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    This can be answered by asking another question..................why do you need a trolling motor when you can achieve the same thing with a paddle?

Take a look on mudhole, research the rod blanks section. You'll soon see what the differences are.

http://www.mudhole.com/custom-rod-building-blanks
    We need more info on the paddle. What voltage, prop, and batteries are being used on the paddle? This is asking another question.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    We need more info on the paddle. What voltage, prop, and batteries are being used on the paddle? This is asking another question.
    You can't spank a kid with a trolling motor.

Buy what you like and don’t be afraid of a used rod / reel. 90% of my combos came from the swap and sell board on here.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

From time to time, I get whooped by a guy that thinks Ugly Sticks are expensive. I do pretty good with my All Stars and Abu rods. I have some BPS stuff too. I don't fish tournys except for a few charity events. If I did fish for a living, I would up my hardware a bit. I have other expensive hobbies that share my disposable cash.
    2014 X19
    2014 200 SHO

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Those who dont have them will say no, those that do will say yes. Follow your own preferences.
    Yes,that is the way I see it also. I have some high end rods and some mid range rods. I do like the high end a little better but I am a little too rough on my rods and reels to buy all top end stuff. Some people have better feeling in their hands and it may make no difference to them. I have a mixture of brands. BPS,DUCKETT,G-Loomis and Hammer. Some feel better in my hands than others. If I break one I probably will replace it with a Hammer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast