Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I have a whole slew of different rods, to include about 4 G Loomis rods. My NRX I got as an anniversary gift years ago. It's a worm rod. I often joke if a fish burps near it I can guess the color of the last worm it took. The sensitivity is amazing. At the end of the day though, it's about personal preference and confidence.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

2. Member
    I had always thrown light lures with Falcons or Avids.
    Then I saw the ad on BBC for a used Legend Elite for $125.00. Without a doubt it is the best fishing money I even spent.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    You can't spank a kid with a trolling motor.
    That's what you think!

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    That's not apples to apples at all Scott. Comparing an ultrex to a maxxum would be a better comparison. My experience on a weekly basis, plenty of guys with "high end" gear couldn't catch fish in a bps aquarium. I use cheap shit and hold my own very well. To each their own.
    Give me a broom handle and I'll still catch them.

5. Member
    I have a mix of rods from gander mtn, to Kistler, to St. Croix, and g Loomis. I actually prefer the gander mtn X factor casting rods over all others that I’ve tried. I have mojos and avid x’s and there is a night and day difference between the two. The avid has better components, crisper feel, and is more balanced. Nothing wrong with mojos but I’d rather save up another $50 and get an avid x.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

6. Member
    Here's my .02. I fished W&M Skeet Reese rods for quite a while (still use a couple). There's one specific rod in that lineup that I really like. I threw a jig on the jig rod (naturally) for 4 years and couldn't catch a jig fish if I wanted to. Looking back, I'm positive I had bites but never knew it. I picked up a couple 13 Omen Black rods about 3-4 years ago. Last year I finally caught a fish on a jig on those rods. This year, I'm using that rod and an iRod Genesis and jigs have become my go-to bait this year. What changed? I went from an $80 rod, to a $110 rod to a $150 rod, and from a $100 reel to a $175 reel. The newer rods have a lighter tip, are lighter overall. The reels are lighter, and I can feel the bite better.

The biggest thing to me, is that more expensive rods are lighter, so it's more comfortable to cast, and I can make better casts, longer into the day, without getting tired. I might upgrade further, but I think there's a law of diminishing returns.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

7. Member
    I am at this point as we speak. I am using entry level rods with revo sx reels. I am good with that’s reels but need to upgrade rods. My brain is fried trying to figure all of this out.

8. Member
    Balance and feel mean a lot to me...I was a naysayer at 9ne point and then I held a higher end rod and was like..."oh wow" that's what i'm missing

Do I feel more fish? Sometimes, does the rod just feel waaay more comfy and light? Absolutely

That said I don't go over 275 for a rod...but I do have some that cost north of 400 but I didn't pay retail for them

My favorite rods in my boat are my 13 Envy, croix legend extreme and shimano expride..all are super light, we'll balanced and very sensitive, but my 13 omens and loomis E6X serve me just fine

Pay what ya want, you will enjoy them regardeless
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

9. Member
    Are the e6x rods pretty good? How do they compare to mojo?

10. Member
    I am proud to own a few custom builds on legend elite and legend extreme blanks. Had I bought those first I could have saved the thousands I spent on inferior rods ranging from $80-$250. Back when I used to play golf I always was chasing the "next greatest" clubs. Never helped my game. When it comes to fishing rods it's two fold. First the extra sensitivity is real and does put more fish in the boat. Second and often overlooked is the lighter rods and components make a day of fishing easier on your body and more enjoyable .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123