Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

97 Faststrike 150 High Idle

97 J150GLEUE. I start the motor, and it goes into high idle to warm up ~1500rpm then once warm it drops to ~1200 rpm. In gear it idles at 800rpm and idles nice, goes into gear nice as well. If I run to a fishing spot and go from forward to neutral the motor idles high (1500-1800) and doesn’t come back down to 1200rpm at all. Then if I got to put it back into gear I get a loud clunk, it will idle in gear at 800rpm still but in neutral it idles too high. I’m no expert by anymeans... that’s why I’m posting here but my guess would be it’s time for new thermostats. What do you guys think?

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Check the head temps first before replacing anything. Then if they are good, then ground the quickstart white/black trace wire, it may be the temp sensor on the port head.

okay just to confirm, I am checking head temps to ensure the thermostats are operating properly and not stuck open?

When I ground the quick start wire, what am I looking for? Run the motor and see if it solves my problem when going from forward to neutral?

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Yes checking the head temps will confirm either stuck open or closed you should see temps aroun145* F. By grounding the white/black wire to the engine block, it will confirm that the motor is coming out of quick start, if it does you have a bad temp/quick start sensor if it doesn't then the issue lies in the power pack. All test should be done with the lower unit submerged and not on muffs.

Hey ChampioNman, I got out yesterday for testing and the temperture was within spec and actually it didn’t idle high at all. Not sure what happened but for now is working fine. I do however have a problem now where it will not start sometimes. I get to the ramp, starts perfect, idles good, comes out of quickstart, I go for a ride and it runs perfect throughout the whole throtttle range. I stopped at the cottage For a few hours and when I went to start the motor, it fired right away but didnt start then it just turned over and wouldn’t start. I have a spare power pack so I thought I would change it just to eliminate something on the water and it still just turned over, then all of a sudden it started up and ran like a top. It almost seems as if it was flooded, could this be the case? I at the cottage all day so the motor was cold. I went to the back, pumped the ball hard, pushed the key in to choke it only for a second while cranking.

I had it out again and it took a couple tries to start the first time but it started no problem but it idled really low, It only idled at 600rpm in neutral. I could hear that it was a lower idle as well as the tach reading. Surprisingly though it stayed running and when I shift into gear it didn't stall. Went for a run at wot and there was no power loss. When I came off plane it idled perfect again and ran fine after that.

I know this is going to be a tough one but where do I start with troubleshooting?

7. Member
    You might want to check the timing base, the timing arm might be hanging up, not returning to the stop or not advancing. Woops, missed your last post, might check it anyway.

Okay i will check the timing base and while I’m at it I will check the optical sensor with the ez timer I picked up from you earlier in the year as well.

The timer base seems to be returning freely, Optical sensor is good as per the ez timer anyways (easy check). I checked the carb butterflies and they were closing all the way, I did notice when moving them though they did get hung up just before close the one time. I was not able to make it do it again though. If this were to happen would it cause the symptoms I'm experiencing?

10. Member
    Yes, that would cause a high idle. I like to have just a small gap between the timing roller and timing arm and a small gap at the carb roller, like maybe .030, this will make sure that the timing and carbs will always close. You still need to make sure that the timing and carbs start to advance and open at exactly the same time.

I remember you saying that so I made sure there was a small gap, the timing arm was returned back but the timing roller was stuck on something but I couldn't tell what it was. I'll look further into that.

What about the very low idle on startup? Any ideas where to start with that?

12. Member
    Do you think that QuikStart is working?

Quick start does not seem to be working. The motor starts fine after it’s warm but does not go into quick start.

I have tried looking online here and in the manual for where to start troubleshooting and I keep reading different answers. Maybe that's because there's lot's of troubleshooting to do. What should I try first? I have a spare power pack and have swapped it out and saw no change, I didn't change the optical sensor though. Should I be looking at the optical sensor or stator to be my issue?

15. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Why not the temp/quickstart sensor in the head?

Well Champ, it appears I have done too much reading online from people who don't necessarily know what they are talking about. I read that the temp sensor in the head had nothing to do with engaging quick start but only to disengage it? How would I test the Sensor?

17. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Port sensor has both temp and quickstart on it. Testing procedure in in Chapter 3 page 37 and 38 of your manual.

Okay, I will have time tomorrow to test the quick start with a timing light. Since I'll have the boat out anyway is there anything else I should be testing while I'm on the water?

I was able to test it yesterday and the timing did advance properly and come out of quickstart. However rpm stayed at 600rpm the whole time. I put the timing light on all cylinders to make sure they were all firing properly and the cylinder#3 would occasionally show 6 instead of 3. All other cylinder were firing as they should. That indicates a problem with the power pack?

20. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    very good possibility if you do replace it make sure you get an EET with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast