Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Diesel vs Gas help

I know this will stir up a bunch of debate. I know a 2500 Chevy Gas will tow a bass boat fine. I am wondering if anybody here has gone from a diesel to a gas? I have a 2007 Silverado 2500HD Classic. I have had it for 8 years. It has 155k miles on it (Just getting broken in). But it was used hard before me. The dash rattles, the doors rattle , the steering wheel clanks and clunks. But it is a diesel and it is paid for. I am looking at a 2014 Silverado 2500 HD Gas. It is loaded and has 55k miles on it. I will have to finance around 15k.

I pull a 8k pound camper 3 times a year and a Ranger z21 during the fishing season. I really want a nicer truck (inside). Wondering if I will be disappointed going to gas? Anyone made that switch?

thanks

Don
    2007 Ranger Z21
    Yamaha SHO 250

2. Joe4d
    I went from Dodge Diesel, to a Chevy 2500 6.0 gas,, No regrets whatsoever. I tow a 5-7000 lb loaded weight Gooseneck horse trailer. No problem doesnt have the pure UMP power of that turbo diesel but I dont drag race pulling horses and that includes going to Grayson Highlands and Iron Mountain. No problem at all up and down.
    Truck about 15 k cheaper to purchase, cheap oil change, simple maintenance, I get 11-12 mpg towing. But does it on 87 octane, Newer diesel will only get about 15,
    I work on marine diesels for a living, I wouldnt consider a modern diesel truck unless I was towing 10k.. Or towing that 8 k all the time. For ur 3 times a year thing ? Not worth it. What does ur ranger weigh ? Maybe 4 k ? Not to mention a boat is alot easier to tow on highway than a camper .

3. Member
    Joe--that is what I was thinking--oil changes, price of fuel. If I get a newer diesel, I have to add blue def. And now maybe a turbo issue. The cost seem to add up with my diesel. Thanks for the input--truly appreciate it
    2007 Ranger Z21
    Yamaha SHO 250

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    If you haul a lot of weight regularly, a diesel is a more pleasant vehicle to drive. A gas engine needs RPMs to make torque so they downshift and rev up under load. It will still get you there.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    That is why I am thinking gas--I do not hall a lot of weight on a regular basis. Just my bass boat on a regular basis and a camper maybe 3 or 4 times a year. But my diesel does pull like a champ
    2007 Ranger Z21
    Yamaha SHO 250

6. Joe4d
    bigger is better but you gotta pay to play... Want vs need,,, and is the wants worth the extra cost, you could probably find a shop to fix those rattles and replace some worn front end and steering parts.. Plus 2007 is prior to alot of the silly stuff. Is this your DD as well and do you need a truck daily ? I ended up getting a small car and just use truck for towing, again less than 15k in debt.
    No idea about ur situation,, but to your actual question as stated I really like my truck and its got one more payment. and 35,000 miles on it :)

7. Member
    Very good point. Just talked to a mechanic who owns diesel trucks. He says he can fix all issues for a lot less than the 15k I would be out for a new to me truck. In addition, like you just said, the 2007 Duramax is prior to all the emission requirements. My Duramax is not my daily driver. Just weekends usually. But usually a 2 hour trip or better so I was looking for some additional comfort. He also has his Duramax for sale and had trouble selling it for what it is worth because banks aren't loaning 20k for a 11 year old truck. Lots of things to think about--thanks for the input-it makes me consider things I have not before
    2007 Ranger Z21
    Yamaha SHO 250

Why not give the interior some TLC and get the steering looked at ? Dynamat in doors, new clips, tint, dash clips, dynamat under flooring, a good cleaning all will cost less than taxes and will make that machine better than new
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

9. Member
    Man, I would fix that truck up in a heartbeat if I was you. A pre DEF/DPF Duramax is one great machine. Put just a little back into it and enjoy. I pull with a Tundra with 200K on it and it's still going strong but I hate all the RPM's it has to pull and shifting it does to make power. I have a Duramax in my van that I made into a little fishing camper and love it. It makes me really want a diesel in my pickup too.

10. Banned
    I would go for a 1500 mode! truck with the 6.2 motor for the weights.you tow. It is.preferred over the 6.0 cast iron motor in the 2500. And fuel mileage is actually not.had for.such incredible.power. I suggest the Max Tow and RV options and possibly rear,and have it you experience rear squat towing the travel trailer.

11. Member
    Leaning that way of fixing it up. After much research, it seems the 2007 Duramax was one of the best models they made. I don't really need all that power now as i dont pull my camper as much. But, like everyone says, it is nice to have
    2007 Ranger Z21
    Yamaha SHO 250

12. Member
    To be honest, until I started researching, I did not even know GM made the 6.2. Just wondering about brakes and suspension of 1500. Also, i think they require or at least recommend premium fuel. What year did they start with the 6.2 1500?
    2007 Ranger Z21
    Yamaha SHO 250

Quote Originally Posted by lunker56 View Post
    Very good point. Just talked to a mechanic who owns diesel trucks. He says he can fix all issues for a lot less than the 15k I would be out for a new to me truck. In addition, like you just said, the 2007 Duramax is prior to all the emission requirements. My Duramax is not my daily driver. Just weekends usually. But usually a 2 hour trip or better so I was looking for some additional comfort. He also has his Duramax for sale and had trouble selling it for what it is worth because banks aren't loaning 20k for a 11 year old truck. Lots of things to think about--thanks for the input-it makes me consider things I have not before
    With exception to a cat's in 2004... I use to tow with a 2500 6.0, it did good, it would hunt for gears at times, definitely not the power of the diesel but did fine. My main issue was the gas mileage 12 towing and 14 daily driving.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

14. Member
    I only get 14 mpg with my Duramax. I do have 295 tires on it. But I always felt I should get better. I drove a 2014 2500 and a 2015 1500 with the 6.2 yesterday. Liked the 1500 but I just felt like I was sitting lower and in a much smaller truck. But a very nice truck. Still debating on what to do, but I appreciate all the input from you guys on this board--thanks!
    2007 Ranger Z21
    Yamaha SHO 250

15. Joe4d
    no way I would buy any half ton with intent to pull 8k...

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe4d View Post
    no way I would buy any half ton with intent to pull 8k...
    Its not only the pulling its the stopping

17. Member
    If your camper is a fifth wheel then I would not consider a 1500, can be done but it can be a hassle unless you get a long bed. I vote for fixing the one you have.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

18. Member
    My travel trailer is a pull behind. I think I have settled for sure on a 2500. And leaning toward fixing the one I have
    2007 Ranger Z21
    Yamaha SHO 250

I've owned three GMC 2500 HDs (all gas). I traded my first one at 125k (with zero problems)...my second at 175k (with zero problems). My current, a 2015, has 112k, with zero problems. I am pulling my boat nearly every single weekend nearly year round. The only reason I've traded was because I get lured by shiny things occasionally. Which explains why bassboats use gelcoats. Only complaint, as already mentioned, is the gas mileage.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

20. Member
    What are you seeing in gas mileage? 11-13?
    2007 Ranger Z21
    Yamaha SHO 250

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast