Thread: SMALLMOUTH

Question SMALLMOUTH

So I live in the Suffolk/ Chesapeake area and was curious if anyone could guide me in the right direction to the best / closest body of water I can fish for smallmouth out of my bass boat. I have heard there is a great body of water on the west side of the state but that's a 5 hour trip for me and well if I don't have to travel that far to get some bronze backs in the boat than why travel that far

any and all assistance would be highly appreciated

Wait till october thru may and make that drive west and fish south holston watauga and Smith mountain while you are at it. Can catch them now but its alot tougher

3. Joe4d
    not gonna find them till you get some altitude or go farther north... 4-5 hours.. James river has plenty around scottsville but it isnt bass boat doable. No idea if there are any around Powatan bot ramp. Could use ur boat there, but dont know what fish are there. I'll probably find out this winter

4. Member
    There are smallmouth in the Nottoway River and Pamonkey. They are hit and miss when you go. I have better luck in the Pamonkey. Water temp for me has to be in the mid to lower 50's and below. Just my 2cents.

5. Joe4d
    Thats kinda wild on the Pamunkey,, looking like its all tidal , wouldnt have expected it. Never been on it, How far up river is it fishable with a glass boat ?
    I actually caught one on the North River one winter, up river,, well across then up river from the Coinjock Canal. No idea how it got there or if there were others.

6. Member
    James river just below the fall line.

7. Member
    If you know the river up to 360 bridge is as far as I have been. This is from Williams landing. I have caught SM below Williams landing so you do not have to go that far. Out going water and in the50ss. Need to go with someone that is familiar with the river is a must. Good luck

I caught 2 small ones in the James near Richmond. Smith Mountain and Philpott both have them.
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole