The Wi R is super cool and challenging (long read)

Spent the last six days fishing the WI R from L WI to a little below Castle Rock dam. Was able to fish out of the jon boat and bass boat.

Lake WI- This is one of the coolest lakes I've ever fished and one of the most challenging. This is where the locals have such huge advantage over a touron like me. There is no great mapping on this lake for lowrance and being outside of the original river channel had some pucker factor. After two days of running it though I developed a bit of confidence running around over some sand bars and tree lines. I think the best fishing was under a couple bridges I couldn't get the bass boat under behind the grade and gallus slough (I couldn't get my front seat out of the damn seat post base). I did crank/c-rig some treelines with points and drops on the original channel with some success for largies surprisingly and sheeps, but nothing over a couple pounds. They're not dense treelines, but there is a bunch of stuff on the bottom on some of the channel swing and confluence areas. This lake fishes much like falcon. I did fish bluffs for smallies and they were there. It was fun running the river to the interstate, running the champ over 12" and feeling the skeg rub sand definitely gets your attention. Bluffs with current had smallies and largies mixed in and there were a few over three pounds. What really amazed me on this lake was the huge amount of great looking shallow water that is dead, that is what forced me to structure scan the river channel. I wish I had time to scan the bays as that is where the majority of schooling fish were, but they are large shallow bays, and it was tough to understand where the drops and channels went. I really wished I had humminbirds with auto chart. I am looking forward to getting back there in Oct when it should fish a lot easier.

Portage to "The Cables"- Super cool area with smallies everywhere. Late morning with shade find a bluff/deeper water near shore with current and you'll catch bass. If you can find five feet of water there's a decent fish in there just gotta make her bite. This area fished super easy and fifty fish was pretty easy, just a ton of 13-15" fish, but did get into a few 4# fish also. They are all rockets though. 19"-20" fish only weighing 4#, they are not Sturgeon Bay studs.

Lower Dells- Typical beat up tourist area. Super cool area to fish and there were a ton of fish, just not the quality found below the cables.

Upper Dells- This was a place I fished with the bass boat and jon boat. Just like above Portage, the skinny water was better. Pretty typical of river fisheries in mid summer.

Overall, I am really looking forward to fishing in mid-Oct when these bigger smallies are all grouped up this fall on L WI and lower Dells lake area. I really want to to spend more time on L WI too. I am betting that lake is way better than it's reputation. There is spawning area, plenty of nursery area, a ton of structure with cover, and ton of undiscovered water for me because of the crappy mapping available.

This was my second favorite area I have fished in WI behind the Red Cedar L area. I'm guessing there were over 35 smallies over 4# caught this past week.

CLOSED GAMEFISHING SEASONS IN WI HAS NO BIOLOGICAL CREEDENCE!!!

2. Member
    Good read I always wanted to fish lake Wisconsin.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

3. Member
    The river north of the lake is much better, but L WI is worth fishing just due to its diverse habitat and uniqueness.

4. Member
    I was reading that lake wisconsin has a decent gizzard shad population in it. It makes me wonder if this lake would fish much more similarly to the lakes down south where bass school up on the shad. Great report though! I need to get back out on lake wisconsin some more especially living in Prairie du Sac..

5. Member
    Wi river is one of a kind, great fishery with big river smallies to be had! Good read.. I dislike lake Wi in the summer
    Cheese County Bass Club

6. Member
    I've fished the river a little bit where it runs into pool 10, getting in there will pucker your butt and have fished Lake Wisconsin a bunch of times. Never have run up the river from there but maybe I'll have to check it out. I'm with Uno on Lake Wisc in the summer, I'll pass. If they're not on in Gallus or Whalen it's 12" smallies all day for me on the main lake/river.

7. Member
    I put a hurting on the dink smallies on tipperary and the bluff to the south of tipperaray.

I have my room booked for Oct and am really looking forward to catching a bunch of schooled up smallies. Hopefully by then they have some winter weight on them.

8. Member
    Spent some time out there this morning and caught a couple smallies, biggest was just short of 14" Ned rigs and square bills produced the smallies. To go with them was a few drum, had one hammer a carolina rig! Coulda swore it was going to be a 3 pound large mouth the way they fight! I'm going to head up the river and try Tipperary and up by the 39/90 bridge tomorrow..