Are battery terminal covers required by law?

Was looking at the TH Hydra Multi-Connection Marine Battery Terminals and one of the review said it's the law that a battery cover over the terminals are required? I'm talking about those rubber or plastic red and black covers that goes over the terminals on the battery. Currently I dont have any should I be concern? Do I need to get some for all batteries or just the cranking?

I honestly don't know if it's the law.
    But I would be concerned !!! For all batteries.

3. Member
    If it is a law I would think it is a USCG rule. But, I think it is a good idea to cover the terminals. I figure the way a boat bounces around it is a good idea. I remember a couple of months ago Scott Martin had some youtube video where his jumper-cables got thrown on top of the battery while running down the lake. Made for an interesting time - looked like. I have covers on mine.

I am not sure what kind of terminal block you are looking for but Blue Sea makes some nice ones with covers.

The protectors are there to prevent shorting of the battery when using tools to disconnect the terminals. Shorting the terminals together can destroy the battery.
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

5. Joe4d
    Can use terminal covers or an entire plastic box.

FEDERAL LAW: CFR 33 183.420 Batteries.(b) Each battery must be installed so that metallic objects cannot come incontact with the ungrounded battery terminals.

If an ungrounded battery terminal is left exposed, it is possible that an accidental connection to ground could occur. The use of, or dropping of, tools nearby could make such a connection during routine engine servicing. This connection could result in a spark of sufficient energy to ignite any explosive vapors that might be present or to start an electrical fire.To prevent accidental contact with the ungrounded battery terminal, it may be covered with a boot or non-conductive shield. The battery could be installed in a covered battery box

To be pedantic though, this only applies to the cranking battery. Just a loophole of ommission I assume. As the trolling motor batteries dont run a gasoline engine, the regulation doesnt apply... Id still have it covered though. But to answer your actual question..
    (Pet peeve of mine list of comments that dont actually answer the question you asked)

Edit,, now I think its not the law, exception for outboards it looks like... But I am probably wrong again..
    Last edited by Joe4d; 08-14-2018 at 03:36 PM.

6. Member
    I thought outboards were exempt from CFR 33 183.420. But I could be wrong.

CFR 33 183.401 reads - (a) This subpart applies to all boats that have gasoline engines, except outboard engines, for electrical generation, mechanical power, or propulsion.

This is all from Subpart I.

But again, I don't know for sure but that is the way I read it. I figure it is a good idea to cover them.

7. Joe4d
    Humm you may be right,, scrolling down in the Coast Guard Boat buildign guide it has a note, but its kinda screwy verbiage..

NOTE:Boats powered with outboard engine(s) are not subject to these regulations unless there is also a gasolinepowered engine installed on the boat such as a gasoline powered auxiliary generator. The outboardmotor and its associated control wiring are excepted. Associated control wiring includes power cables,ignition wires, gauge wires, etc. A battery used only for the trolling motor becomes part of its associatedcontrol wiring and is therefore not subject to the regulation’s requirements, including the battery securingand restraint requirements of 183.420.

Youd think they coulda just ended the note after the word "generator"
    Last edited by Joe4d; 08-14-2018 at 03:34 PM.

I recently had my boat inspected by the USCG Auxillary and needed to cover the negative battery terminals in order to pass. They provided black electrical tape to accomplish this.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

9. Joe4d
    CG inspectors make up stuff all the time that may or may not be actual law...Plus they will always find something to gig you on.. Just about always easier to agree with them and fix it.
    I have the wonderful enjoyment of being near the school that teaches Coast Guard inspectors.. So they use are vessels as training aids..

10. Member
    Law or not, it's common sense. I saw those T&H multi connect things and thought they looked like an accident waiting to happen. Unless the plate that the terminals are connected to is insulated in some way it looks like a really good way of attracting misfortune to me!

11. Member
    A set of these on the crank battery.

https://www.amazon.com/Mercury-Mercr.../dp/B00N9HMN1A

Your choice on a set for on each Tmotor battery.

https://www.delcity.net/store/Batter...sulators/p_109

Fish the Great Lakes and CG is happy with covers and just a safe practice all around.

Good Luck

I had to get my boat inspected as a part of getting certified to guide on the Great Lakes. They required that the positive terminals be covered on all my batteries.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Joe4d View Post
    CG inspectors make up stuff all the time that may or may not be actual law...Plus they will always find something to gig you on.. Just about always easier to agree with them and fix it.
    I have the wonderful enjoyment of being near the school that teaches Coast Guard inspectors.. So they use are vessels as training aids..
    It wasn’t made up. It was on the official checkout sheet. I never said that it made it a law, just posting my experience. I didn’t get dinged for anything either. I also think it is a great idea to keep posts covered.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

14. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    taken off an industry boating publication....

ABYC E-11 requires any continuously energized part to be physically protected with boots, an enclosure or some other cover. These are usually at the batteries and the connections in the starting circuit. Whether it's a positive battery terminal or the positive starter post, if it's not protected by overcurrent protection (breaker or fuse), then it needs a boot or enclosure.

15. Joe4d
    A checklist is not a law, neither is the ABYC. The question is "Is it a Law ?",, If it is show me the law. As I dont think it is. The only law I can find excludes outboards it seems.
    As mentioned Ive been down that road and seen CG inspectors say something is a gig when legally it wasnt.. Had an issue with a Pressure relief valve,, Inspector said it was no good, and port engineer argued the fact,, PE was 100% correct,, however it was way easier for me just to go get another valve and spin it on.

16. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Reply showing ABYC requirements for the cover was offered information for the original poster....dsdb.

dsdb,
    My batteries can provide a short path with over 2500 amperes and the terminals are equipped with proper ABYC compliant cover protectors.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 08-15-2018 at 12:10 PM.

17. Member
    FEDERAL LAW:183.420 Batteries.(b) Each battery must be installed so that metallic objects cannot come incontact with the ungrounded battery terminals.If an ungrounded battery terminal is left exposed, it is possible that an accidental connection toground could occur. The use of, or dropping of, tools nearby could make such a connection duringroutine engine servicing. This connection could result in a spark of sufficient energy to ignite anyexplosive vapors that might be present or to start an electrical fire.To prevent accidental contact with the ungrounded battery terminal, it may be covered with a bootor non-conductive shield. The battery could be installed in a covered battery box or special, fittedcompartment. (See Figure 14).TO COMPLY WITH THE LAW• Have precautions been taken to prevent metallic objects from coming in contact withthe ungrounded battery terminal when the battery is in its installed position?FIGURE 14 Ungrounded Battery Terminal Connection. (Be it the rubber covers over the terminals or the plastic box)

Taken from this site uscgboating.org

As far as state law they just go with how it was manufactured
    1995 Skeeter 200ZX, 1998 Mercury 200 (OG724176)
    2015 Ram 3500 dually Cummins G56
    The Bible

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by .44mag View Post
    FEDERAL LAW:183.420 Batteries.(b) Each battery must be installed so that metallic objects cannot come incontact with the ungrounded battery terminals.If an ungrounded battery terminal is left exposed, it is possible that an accidental connection toground could occur. The use of, or dropping of, tools nearby could make such a connection duringroutine engine servicing. This connection could result in a spark of sufficient energy to ignite anyexplosive vapors that might be present or to start an electrical fire.To prevent accidental contact with the ungrounded battery terminal, it may be covered with a bootor non-conductive shield. The battery could be installed in a covered battery box or special, fittedcompartment. (See Figure 14).TO COMPLY WITH THE LAW• Have precautions been taken to prevent metallic objects from coming in contact withthe ungrounded battery terminal when the battery is in its installed position?FIGURE 14 Ungrounded Battery Terminal Connection. (Be it the rubber covers over the terminals or the plastic box) Taken from this site uscgboating.org

As far as state law they just go with how it was manufactured

A google search finds alot of different references. This one is a 2003 handbook that quotes the regulation/Federal law refered to above. It also starts out in the "general section" with the below quote. I read this as not pertaining to bassboats in this section. I do think it's a good idea to have insulators on the battery post, and "think" that it's a coast guard regulation that concerns boats being produced for sale. https://www.uscgboating.org/regulations/assets/builders-handbook/ELECTRICAL.pdf

OK, my picture didn't post but basically it says that

FEDERAL LAW:
    183.401 Purpose and applicability:
    (a) This subpart applies to all boats that have gasoline engines, except outboard engines, for electrical generation, mechanical power or propulsion.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

19. Member
    [QUOTE=06 SB;9584802]I recently had my boat inspected by the USCG Auxillary and needed to cover the negative battery terminals in order to pass. They provided black electrical tape to accomplish this.[/QUOTE

The Conservation guy commended me for having mine covered. Said it's one of the best spring revenue generators.
    Please release me,let me go.