Need help Verado won't start

Mercury Verado model number 1251v13ld. I had a bad battery and was switching batteries now my engine won't fire. I thought it might have been the Dts fuse at first but I've replaced that and now that my smartcraft gauges are working I get a short beep followed by a long beep and a message stating low voltage. I switched to another battery and I get the same thing. I need to figure this out quick as I have a week long fishing trip at the end of the week. Thanks

2. Member
    It's actually reading engine actuator voltage is low

3. Member
    I tested the battery with two different testers. One read 13.5, and the other 13.6

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and provide the Required Info with your post. Thanks!

Check the Clean Power Harness and make sure that BOTH the Fused + (Red) wire AND the Ground (black) wire are connected to the ONE Cranking Battery, which needs to be of an ample rating.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Sorry was a long day and I missed the serial number 2b412785. Both the red and black wires are connected to the starting battery only. These batteries were working a few weeks ago. Is the clean power harness the one coming off of the power steering pump?

6. Member
    The battery I was trying to install when my problems started was a sears diehard agm with 1150ca and 205 reserve. It's a couple years old but it's still reading 12.9 at battery but on the smartcraft gauge it's reading 12.2. I think I also realized the clean power harness is the one with the dts fuse. Thanks again

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes- that would be the Clean Power Harness. Check it's connections, and the fuse (test fuse with a DVOM rather than just "looks"). 90% of all such complaints are related to the Clean Power Harness connections or other connections at the battery.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    I had replaced the fuse. I tested the battery at the battery and then followed the clean power into the motor. I pulled the plug and tested it there. Both readings were identical at 12.5 v but the smartcraft gauge is reading 11.5.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Have you LOAD-TESTED the batteries you are trying, and if so, what were the CCA Results? (Note: This is NOT what the battery is "rated" for, this is what the battery actually measured on load-testing equipment).

Beginning to sound like it might, perhaps be just that simple...

10. Member
    I have not load tested the batteries but have tried multiple now. At the start of this the dts fuse was blown. I replaced with a 5a. Today I found the 20a fuse for the ecm was blown. I replaced it and it blew again the second I turned the key. I have a bad feeling the ecm is toast. Btw I really appreciate your help

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Ok... by "DTS Fuse" I suspect you meant the Clean Power Fuse (5 amp).

Since you've had multiple blown fuses here, let's work on the premise that you have a SHORT that is causing it.

First and foremost- triple check all connections at the batteries to make sure that NOTHING is connected REVERSE POLARITY.

Snap a picture of your battery and connections- and post a copy if possible. Also good to see the fuse location that blew (20a).