ok the fastrike has got a problem with engine keeping primed after shut down

ok got a problem with engine keeping primed after shut down . if I cut the engine off and fish say 15 20 minutes the engine fires off but cuts off, I have to repeat the cycle 6 to 110 times while pressing the choke then it will finale run fine till next stop several time I squeeze the fuel ball to get it going. this has been going on several trips and I've replace the ball and checked the obvious things no fuel leaks ect. I don't run it hard under 4800 rpms it runs ok but if I open it up the alarm come on and it goes into the safe mode like if it running hot but not a over heat or temp sensor problem. If is using a lot more oil than usual and smoke a lot while idling, wondering if the fuel pump has a bad diaphragm. Any Ideas?

2006 RANGER 519VX
    200HP MERCURY OPTI-MAX
    Sole member of " THE FISHERMEN FOR LIFE" a fisherman that knows one can make the difference!!

2. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    fuel restriction. The stratos/javelins of that era have been known to have anti-siphon valves sticking. Knock the ball and spring out or change to normal 90 degree elbows.

got rid of that years ago. what keeps the fuel in the system othr than the carberators?

2006 RANGER 519VX
    200HP MERCURY OPTI-MAX
    Sole member of " THE FISHERMEN FOR LIFE" a fisherman that knows one can make the difference!!

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Primer bulb.

1st thing changed Fred, took cover off and pumped up pressure did not see any visual leaks. Is it possible that the fuel pump side of the vro needs a rebuild kit. or should I look for something else.
    or should I look for something else I know last time I had vro go out it would loose power and I could have brother pump the ball and keep running on plane till we got to landing but this time its running ok after it gets primed up and running as long as I keep it under 4500 rpms
    Last edited by Frank A; 08-15-2018 at 07:08 PM.

2006 RANGER 519VX
    200HP MERCURY OPTI-MAX

Could see anything else so I took the vro apart and found the most outer diaphragm ( white plastic center) has a split. Hope this is it.. going to to try find a reasonable priced kit

2006 RANGER 519VX
    200HP MERCURY OPTI-MAX

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Here you go Frank www.maxrules.com

thks Fred

2006 RANGER 519VX
    200HP MERCURY OPTI-MAX

ok replacing the fuel pump diaphragms in VRO took care of the stalling and hard to start and the heavy smoke at idle.
    But still having a continuous alarm and reduced power/ running of 1/2 cylinders. thought this type alarm was only if engine was running Hot. This has been going on several months and when I found the VRO pump was bad was hoping fixing it would also fix the alarm that happens if I run it wide open throttle for about 1/4 mile. If I reduce speed to a idle the alarm goes out but you have to cut engine off and restart the you cane get back under way and run under 5k rpm all day. I've watched water psi is around 20 psi when this happens. I've replaced thermostats, and the temp sensors in the heads. back flushed the engine. None of this has helped.

2006 RANGER 519VX
    200HP MERCURY OPTI-MAX