des plaines river off of I55

So I am getting pretty desperate here as the fishing around here is grinding to a halt for me and am looking to try some new places. Living in the western suburbs I am wondering what is the best spot within an hour. Braidwood has been tough and Geneva and Delevan have just been flat out too rough and frankly have not fished well for me this year. This time of the year is always tough for me as all my trips south and way north are finished, I am looking for like the best places to go on say a 4 hour afternoon stretch. My two new choices would be the des plaines river or Hammond and fish lake Michigan for some smallies. What say you are either worth the time, specifically the des plaines can you put in off 55 there and boat safely and catch some fish or is it not worth it? Also thoughts on the big pond?

I am open to anyone who is catching right now where are you going?

2. Member
    I went to big basin marina just last weekend. Fished 4 hours and only caught 1 fish. It was the first time I went there so I believe I can do better I just need to find more spots.

I usually go to waterfront marina or howes landing in alsip and fish the cal sag channel. I do better going there. I've been through the lock a bunch of times but I usually catch more fish without locking through. I'd be happy to meet ya there one weekend and show ya some spots.

3. Member
    We both have BassCat Margays I believe.

4. Member
    I might take you up on that, yes my brother and I have a margay. I have a college buddy who has a new sabre and we might go out sunday afternoon to give it a try, if you stay in the channel area can you run safely or are there hazards to look out for? We would put in at that ramp right off of 55, better fishing south or north from there?

5. Member
    Just stay inside the channel markers when your running and you’ll be fine
    Nitro z21

6. Member
    The Happy Hookers Bass Club hosts Wednesday night tournaments all summer long out of the DesPlaines Conservation Area (off I-55) and Stratton Park in Morris, alternating each week. It's quite common for 10+ lbs to win with only 3 hours fishing. Like anywhere, putting time on the water, you'll find the fish.
    Michael J. Koenig

7. Member
    Michael, what's the river condition tonight after the heavy rains last night? I expect the same this weekend. Does the current pickup and the water level raise significantly like the West Branch of the DuPage?

Would also like to hear the results of tonight's tournament!