Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2001 Pantera III Jack plate height?

Re the inside plate, now sets well below outside frame. Seems like it should be closer to level with inside? Plus not sure how this raises as being that old havn't seen one like this before. My last Cat had similar but lowered & raised from top bolt/nut adjustment after loosening the 4 side bolts. This does not have a place at the top for adjusting? Anyone know estimate of how the inner and outer plates should be in relation to each other. Boat is in shop, hopefully coming out tomorrow, has not been run in over one year so don't know anything about how it runs right now - just got it several weeks ago. Has 200hp Mercury Optimax on it.

Mi 2001 PIII with a Merc 200 EFI is running best with plate level on inner and outer and the motor in the 2nd hole. I'm running a 25 Trophy plus prop. 2 holes open and 2 holes with med. plugs. Hope this helps.

3. Member
    Might help - if I remember my 02 Classic with same motor it ran pretty close to even with inner/outer plates but think it was easier to make the adjustments then the III is? Boat is in shop, picking up in the AM and will check but think inner plate is nearly 2" down and that doesn't seem right to me at all. The guy I bought from really did not have much experience with bass boats, not sure if he ever adjusted height at all? BTW how fast was yours with that EFI? THANKS.............................BOB

Quote Originally Posted by bobsquatch View Post
    Might help - if I remember my 02 Classic with same motor it ran pretty close to even with inner/outer plates but think it was easier to make the adjustments then the III is? Boat is in shop, picking up in the AM and will check but think inner plate is nearly 2" down and that doesn't seem right to me at all. The guy I bought from really did not have much experience with bass boats, not sure if he ever adjusted height at all? BTW how fast was yours with that EFI? THANKS.............................BOB
    My motor is pretty stock except with a Brucato ECM and I have seen 71 on the GPS with a light load. I think a Fury 4 would help that but I'm fine with it the way it is.

5. Member
    Yeah, getting my boat back later this morning, hoping running well now. In my case that means "starting" as first time out 2 weeks ago after buying motor would not start. High pressure booster fuel pump was shot. Replaced now and mechanic advises starts easily, runs well. Taking out tomorrow, will find out? It has a 25" Tempest plus on it but depending on how it runs I would definitely consider going to a Fury 4. On my 02 Pantera Classic I had ended up putting 4 props on (Trophy, Tempest, Fury then Croxton - all 25's) and the Mark Croxton Razor3 with extra cup was by far the best in all respects. The Fury was a close second. That rig was 73+ mph with very good hole shot. Expect this one to run maybe 68 - 70mph?

6. Member
    Got to put boat on water yesterday, first time since bought (actually 2nd but previous motor had problem). Had new high pressure booster pump put in and now runs great, got on plane faster than any of the other 9 boats I've had, including the last 02 Pantera Classic with same 200hp Optimax. Last owner had put a very old style whale tail on it, probably helps get on plane so fast but would prefer it not be there. Could only get to 5290rpm, unknown speed though motor/boat seemed like wanted to go higher and faster, just wouldn't? Has 25" tempest + and on jack plate the inner plate is maybe 2" lower than the outer plate, has 2 holes with large plugs in and 1 hole with no plug? According to fishing partner yesterday there was zero "rooster tail" and that does not seem right to me? Have never been in a bass boat with no rooster tail at all at full speed. Not sure plates should be closer to even but don't know what that would do with rpm's?

7. Member
    Got to put boat on water yesterday, first time since bought (actually 2nd but previous motor had problem). Had new high pressure booster pump put in and now runs great, got on plane faster than any of the other 9 boats I've had, including the last 02 Pantera Classic with same 200hp Optimax. Last owner had put a very old style whale tail on it, probably helps get on plane so fast but would prefer it not be there. Could only get to 5290rpm, unknown speed though motor/boat seemed like wanted to go higher and faster, just wouldn't? Has 25" tempest + and on jack plate the inner plate is maybe 2" lower than the outer plate, has 2 holes with large plugs in and 1 hole with no plug? According to fishing partner yesterday there was zero "rooster tail" and that does not seem right to me? Have never been in a bass boat with no rooster tail at all at full speed. Not sure plates should be closer to even but don't know what that would do with rpm's?
    Take the wale tail off and try again, maybe it is digging? You won't need a ton of trim. I still get a rooster on mine, but never over the cowling when I'm dialed in... 02 PIII - 5800 RPM - 25 Fury - 02 200HP Opti

8. Member
    Boat when purchased month ago had the Stingray Stealth hydrofoil on, 25" tempest + with 1 open pvs hole and 2 pvs holes with large plugs and was 4" below the pad. Jumped on plane instantly but could not check speed as speedo nor GPS worked? I removed the hydrofoil, set prop at 3 1/4" below the pad, removed the 2 pvs plugs - took to the Delta waters yesterday and WHAT? Could not get to plane at all, not even close, even had 200# partner and 2 heavy tackle bags on front deck and no plane? Blow out really bad and no way was that boat getting on plane - did see 5700 rpm while trying for couple seconds before shutting down. Prior to removing "foil", etc. boat on plane fast without any attempt at getting there quickly and boat used very little trim. Not really wanting to put foil back on but right now I'm stuck as can only idle around and Ca. Delta tidal waters are huge. Its been suggested to put the 2 large pvs plugs back but I can't see how that alone is going to plane this rig without anything else being done? CaliCatMatt - what is your prop to pad measurement - can the Fury be that much better than the Tempest and are your running no pvs plugs? Do you have reasonable plane time and what about top end, mine shouldn't be much different as have no power poles, etc. on mine, do not carry a lot of extra weight other than probably myself and passenger might go 450# . Any ideas out there?

We suggest a 24” or 23” Fury to try.

Boat when purchased month ago had the Stingray Stealth hydrofoil on, 25" tempest + with 1 open pvs hole and 2 pvs holes with large plugs and was 4" below the pad. Jumped on plane instantly but could not check speed as speedo nor GPS worked? I removed the hydrofoil, set prop at 3 1/4" below the pad, removed the 2 pvs plugs - took to the Delta waters yesterday and WHAT? Could not get to plane at all, not even close, even had 200# partner and 2 heavy tackle bags on front deck and no plane? Blow out really bad and no way was that boat getting on plane - did see 5700 rpm while trying for couple seconds before shutting down. Prior to removing "foil", etc. boat on plane fast without any attempt at getting there quickly and boat used very little trim. Not really wanting to put foil back on but right now I'm stuck as can only idle around and Ca. Delta tidal waters are huge. Its been suggested to put the 2 large pvs plugs back but I can't see how that alone is going to plane this rig without anything else being done? CaliCatMatt - what is your prop to pad measurement - can the Fury be that much better than the Tempest and are your running no pvs plugs? Do you have reasonable plane time and what about top end, mine shouldn't be much different as have no power poles, etc. on mine, do not carry a lot of extra weight other than probably myself and passenger might go 450# . Any ideas out there?
    I am very familiar with early Panteras and Classics:
    Run 24 Fury or a 25 tempest. no plugs in the Fury one large plug in the tempest. In stock form the tempest is a little better than the Fury, however if you have Ronnie Gilbert rework the 24 Fury it will be far better than the tempest. A couple of miles per hour and an better hole shot. Tempest will like about 3 1/4 height stock fury about 3 5/8, Reworked by Ronnie 3 1/2 maybe a touch higher depending on load. In the delta I would expect to see 69 to 71 mph on your rig with the reworked fury, it will run the best at less than full trim and a very low rooster tail, very little if any chine walk at all
    Thank You Leon Pugh

11. Member
    Thanks for the info. Foil still removed from boat, prop to pad at 3 1/4" and right now I had put 2 large plugs and 1 solid back in prop. Have not had a chance to put on water since (health problems/age) but should get out by Monday the 10th for sure and see what's happening. When I tried running it exactly like this, except without any plugs in, it was totally impossible to get on plane as blow out was worse than any I have experienced in nearly 40 yrs. owning bass boats. Hoping this next time can get on plane reasonably and be able to figure out best plug setup - doesn't seem to me like just 1 large plug will put it on plane when zero plugs was impossible to get on plane but since you are familiar with this setup you would know better than me for sure. See what happens and can easily pull a plug or two out - don't have any idea what the plugs I now have in will do? THANKS!! .................... BOB

Bob I will be at B&W this Saturday if you would a little help on setup, my number is 916 813 0321, we could get together about 2 pm when I get off the water, I will be in a white 03 cougar with a 225 optimax towed with a sliver ram echo diesel. You can try my reworked Fury if you want tough it will a little to tall for boat. Might help you in getting a better handle on how to proceed.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

13. Member
    Thanks a lot for the offer - can't get away this weekend at all as my wife of 57 yrs. needs the pickup (only vehicle) to go shopping somewhere as daughter in law finally moving around here and looking for things for where they are going to live. Going local one day and out of town the next. My regular fishing partner called about an hour ago and offered to go with me on Monday the 10th to Mossdale and see if we can get a solution. He also has a Cat, an 06 Sabre and was with me last time on the total blow out. Not really concerned about top speed as long as getting on plane ok and hopefully get rpm's within correct range or at least reasonably close? Taking extra pvs plugs and wench to move jack plate although at 3 1/4" would think that is pretty close. Will let you know results.

Should be very close for the tempest, every pantera and classic I have worked with that the tempest prop was in good shape only required on large plug, if more is need it would indicate not correctly cupped or motor a little high, be sure nothing is mounted on the pad or the two secondary pads that will disturb the smooth flow to the prop. When set up like this as it nosed over it will feel kind of like a automatic trans shifting gears that slips a little. Bow should be dropping in about three seconds or less. Phills Props in Redding does a good job on tempest props. He used to do mine before I started using Furys
    Thank You Leon Pugh

15. Member
    I don't have an exact measurement and my boat isn't kept on my property...Or else I'd get the specs tonight. Prior to the Fury I ran a 24 and 25 tempest plus, the 24 is still my go to prop for a tourney load or when I run up to the local mountain lake (6500ft Elevation). I never messed with my plugs, so I would assume they are all in? I bought the 25p Fury just for top end but the performance is very well balanced and it's the wheel on my boat 11months out of the year... My boat has run the best at the delta, so I'm not sure what the issue is...I was able to hit 70mph with 3 big dudes, full wells/gas tanks there. 24p Tempest should get you up and out, if not it may not be a prop to pad issue?

With that said...I'm envious...LOVE the Delta!!! Here is a light load speed run I did after I got my fury.

16. Member
    Well, here go's: on water this AM with motor at 3 1/2" prop to pad, 2 pvs plugs in 1 open - got on plane with no problem kind of slow with front end jumping up high, chine walking started well under 5000 rpm's. Tried then with 1 pvs plug in and 2 open - got on plane slower, front end popped higher and chine walking quicker. Now, couldn't find my bad of pvs plugs so came home. Not sure what to do now to get on plane quicker - try 3 large plugs maybe or 2 large and 1 solid? Drop prop down a little more? Kind of lost here on what next to try. Suggestions??

17. Member
    Well, here go's: on water this AM with motor at 3 1/2" prop to pad, 2 pvs plugs in 1 open - got on plane with no problem kind of slow with front end jumping up high, chine walking started well under 5000 rpm's. Tried then with 1 pvs plug in and 2 open - got on plane slower, front end popped higher and chine walking quicker. Now, couldn't find my bad of pvs plugs so came home. Not sure what to do now to get on plane quicker - try 3 large plugs maybe or 2 large and 1 solid? Drop prop down a little more? Kind of lost here on what next to try. Suggestions??
    Chine walking that fast...sounds like the motor maybe too low? I'd plug everything and bring her up a 1/4in.

18. Member
    Out again today testing: Best setup no matter what I did was - 3 large plugs in at 3 1/2" prop to pad, planed at 18-20mph but took about 6 seconds with lots of bow lift, front end going too high before settling into plane. Chine walking a lot at 5000 rpm with highest I could get was 5300 rpm at 62mph. Might have been able to get slightly better but for the chine walking, wouldn't have been much more at all. Cannot use much trim up, less than half way or chine gets too bad. Raising motor did no good at all, stats a little worse that way or with less plugs or with 1 plug solid. Right now at a loss as don't have slightest idea of anything else to try, other than a new prop, and that's expensive if don't know for sure its going to help much?

19. Member
    I believe there is a local cat dealer up there? I would give them a call and see if you can get someone to out with you and diagnose the issue?

If you are running a 25p dropping down should help a lot... My P3 has a lot of bow lift on take off and my hole shot is about 4-5 seconds... Sounds like you are close...

20. Member
    Wonder what a 23" Fury 3 blade would do for this rig? Assume no pvs plugs at all and maybe lowering down slightly?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast