Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newer Suburban/Tahoe rear axle ratio towing

Anyone here own a newer burb/Tahoe that you tow with? I'm looking at buying a '16 or '17 year model but it seems the majority of them have the 3.08 rear axle. I have only found a few with the factory tow package with the higher gear ratio. I'm also currently boat shopping and the boats on my list are the Lund 219/209 GL or Lund Baron. I would be driving the Indiana/Ohio toll road towing the boat to Lake Erie. Mainly flat with some hills. Any thoughts on the 3.08 axle?

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FishFish View Post
    Anyone here own a newer burb/Tahoe that you tow with? I'm looking at buying a '16 or '17 year model but it seems the majority of them have the 3.08 rear axle. I have only found a few with the factory tow package with the higher gear ratio. I'm also currently boat shopping and the boats on my list are the Lund 219/209 GL or Lund Baron. I would be driving the Indiana/Ohio toll road towing the boat to Lake Erie. Mainly flat with some hills. Any thoughts on the 3.08 axle?
    Your way over thinking this subject. If your towing loads upwards on 8-10,000lbs, then gear ratio is an issue. Hills as well. Buy the one you like and dont worry about ratios.

3. Member
    This

4. Member
    FWIW, I have a 2015 Tahoe. I believe you would be better served if you could find one with the factory tow package. In addition to the lower gear ratio, you also would get coolers for the transmission, hitch receiver, and trailer wiring from the factory. It's a big, heavy vehicle and the 3.42 will also give you some more pep on take off. Hope you find one you like. They are a real nice vehicle.
    Last edited by jbh3; 08-14-2018 at 07:13 AM.

5. Joe4d
    search the LTZ or Z71 trim lines I think thats what you are looking for

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbh3 View Post
    FWIW, I have a 2015 Tahoe. I believe you would be better served if you could find one with the factory tow package. In addition to the lower gear ratio, you also would get coolers for the transmission, hitch receiver, and trailer wiring from the factory. It's a big, heavy vehicle and the 3.42 will also give you some more pep on take off. Hope you find one you like. They are a real nice vehicle.
    This is what I was curious about. My current suburban is an 04 and has the factory tow package and it tows a lot better than my 02 Avalanche did with non tow package.

7. Member
    I had a 14 Silverado with the 3.08. My FIL has a new Tahoe with it. It’ll pull a bass boat. IMO it just feels gutless. It’s the transmission programming GM uses to get the extra MPG. I won’t own another without the 3.42.

8. Member
    My old truck was an 11 silverado with 3.08 that was great for a daily driver. I tow a 1990 Ranger 362V, 6000lb travel trailer, and a 27 ft enclosed snowmobile trailer. It pulled those but didnt like it much. With a stiff tailwind going down hill i might be able to hit 75mph. Tried pulling with an 18 suburban with 3.42 and it wasn't much better, it would do it but she didn't like it much. Would be better if you could get the MAX trailering package that would come with the 3.73. Or do what I did and upgrade to 2500HD Diesel. Couldn't be happier!

3.08 is fine with the 6 speed or 8 speed transmission. I have a 2014 GMC Sierra. I pull my Skeeter up and down a 3000ft grade once or twice a week with the cruise control on at 75 to 80 mph. Speed limit is 80mph so you get run over if going much slower. It pulls the boat easily. The 3.08 still comes with a tow package. Having said that the 3:42 is the way to go if your going to tow heavy and can find one.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

10. Member
    Thanks for all the info guys.

11. Member
    FWIW, a mechanic at a Chevy dealer told me this regarding the towing package (I have a 2013 Suburban w/ the factory tow package).
    The response was to answer a question I asked my salesman...who was trying to convince me I didn't need the towing package (which includes Transmission Cooler, Engine Oil Cooler, 3.42 Rear End, Brake Controller, and a 2 speed transfer case, including Neutral). Salesman claimed because the vehicle he was steering me to had a hitch, it was "good to go."

"If you are only going to tow your boat once a year or something, you might be able to get by with it. If you are towing your boat every time you go fishing, you NEED the heavy duty trailering package. You boil that transmission fluid once, you are done. Besides, extra cooling never hurts, even when not towing." The look on the salesman's face when we got that answer from the mechanic was priceless...I told his boss, and the young lad got an education that day.

Why they bother making trucks w/ out the package, makes no sense to me...most of the used Tahoe's and Suburbans seem to come from the rental fleet...and they never have the towing package.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

12. Member
    Finding a 2016 or newer suburban with the tow package and not in black has been like finding a unicorn. I refuse to buy a black vehicle! The boats I'm looking to buy are all heavy boats and I would be towing it around 75-80mph for 2.5-3 hours one way depending on what launch I go out of on Lake Erie. I usually get in around 30+ trips per year so a lot of towing goes on.

13. Member
    FYI, Yukon Denali has all the cooling and towing standard...
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

14. Member
    And a 6.2

15. Member
    I’ve got a 2013 Silverado with 3.08 gears. While I wish I had lower my rig weighs ~4500 lbs (near to slightly lower than those you listed) and I pull about 30-45 mins each way most trips no mountains but some stop and go in town stuff and some decent hills in and out of the river valley. I’ve never noticed any struggling and I’ve never noticed trans temps over about 170 F but I do have the trans cooler. IMHO opinion you would be happier with the lower ratio but I don’t think you would be unhappy or have a single issue with the 3.08.

16. Member
    Well I went and bought a 2015 GMC Yukon XL Denali today with the 6.2 engine. It is one smooth ride!

17. Member
    You got the best of the best there, my friend. Only down side, it will take a good while to find out what all those buttons do. LOL. Enjoy!

18. Scraps
    I tow with the 3.08 and it does great.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

19. Member
    I just traded my 2014 4WD, GMC Yukon with 3.08 gears for a 2018 4WD Ford F-150 with 3.55 gears. The Yukon was awful at towing my Basscat Puma. We live in Northwest Georgia and tow through the mountains of Northeast Georgia. Lots of hills and mountains, a real struggle for the Yukon. Don't, don't, don't get any GM product with 3.08 gears, the 5.3 engine and tow on anything other than perfectly flat terrain.

20. Member
    I have a 2007 LTZ Tahoe and Looking at the RPO codes I have, GT4, G69 and G80

Not sure what G69 code is.

GT4 Axle Rear (Dup of 5X1) 3.73
    G80 Not Open Diff – Positraction / Limited Slip / Typ. Gov-Lock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast