Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Wanting a price on a new Ranger and dealers don’t seem interested. WTH!!

Nearest dealer is 2 hours from my location and it took one dealer 5 days to get back with me and the other I haven’t heard back from. So am I going about this wrong? I call and tell them you have a boat listed on your website that I would like to get a price on. They take my number and I wait and wait. I would think a day or two is plenty of time to price out a boat.

So do I show up at the dealership with a box full of cash and hope they will sell me a boat if I say please?

Getting frustrated

2. Member
    I would just call a Phoenix dealer and be done with it...You are welcome ...SB...
    2006 Ranger 188 VX with 150 E TEC and I EAT BASS!!!

3. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Nope, scratch them off the list...

I hate being ignored.

I called every Ranger dealer east of the Mississippi (and one west) last year and gave them my build sheet of what I was wanting and a detailed report with pictures of my 2009 Z520 trade in. I put them at battle with each other, the one that gave me the highest value on my trade in was the winner (Renegade Marine here in KY). You shouldn't have to hound them, the dealers should all be blowing your phone up... Dealer service wasn't an issue in my case, I have an Evinrude service shop within 5 minutes of my house.

I did the same with my wife's new Grand Cherokee and with my new truck... I'd call or walk into the dealership with a copy of the build sheet of the exact vehicle I wanted built and let them look at the trade in, if they couldn't beat my lowest offer I'd been given I'd walk.

Good luck....

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

4. Banned
    I tell them what I want, either a car dealership or a boat dealership. I ask once and never call back, why should you chase someone to give them money!!!!!!

5. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Ouch....

Quote Originally Posted by Biggin2 View Post
    I would just call a Phoenix dealer and be done with it...You are welcome ...SB...

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

6. Member
    It's not just you. I called a dealer in TN and they never called back. Called another and they were not very accommodating. I have so far had fantastic response from a dealer that may not be too far from you - Pro's Choice Marine! Get a Ranger or you will still want one ....

7. Member
    The first dealer that called back after 5 days priced out the boat full retail off Rangers website but threw in a couple of small items. The second dealer no response yet. I did call an out of state dealer that is 4 hours from me and they gave me the price over the phone. Again with full retail pricing. I would prefer a dealer close to me and in my state for service but with their lack of enthusiasm I highly question how they would service the boat if a there was a problem.

Yes there are are other brands to consider but it’s always been my dream to own a Ranger. I will be 60 in a couple of years and this will more than likely be my last new boat.

Just hard to fathom that when someone wants to spend this kind of money that the dealers don’t seem so interested. I’m not even asking for deals or talking trade ins. Just want the damn price of the boat. The two dealers in my state certainly won’t get my business. I run a business and I get very busy but I will always return calls the same day.

If if any of you are a Ranger dealer and want my money contact me. I’m a buyer.

8. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    We hear this report all the time: “leave a message and we’ll call you back,” but it takes forever for them to do so. It’s not that marine dealers are all made of money or extremely lazy. I put it down to people being drawn to the business because they love boats/fishing, but loving boats/fishing doesn’t automatically make you tech-savvy or a great online or phone communicator. I’ll also say this, when you find a boat salesman who returns calls within an hour, s/he’s a keeper!

P.S. After reading the latest post from the OP, I’m not terribly surprised to hear that dealers are reluctant to come off MAP pricing over the phone, talking to (what seems to be) a stranger. Ranger expects them to do this. The main savings to be negotiated are on dealer prep, throw-ins from the dealership, and options purchased/installed at the dealership.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffy1337 View Post
    Nearest dealer is 2 hours from my location and it took one dealer 5 days to get back with me and the other I haven’t heard back from. So am I going about this wrong? I call and tell them you have a boat listed on your website that I would like to get a price on. They take my number and I wait and wait. I would think a day or two is plenty of time to price out a boat.

So do I show up at the dealership with a box full of cash and hope they will sell me a boat if I say please?

Getting frustrated
    If they can't email you an out the door price, as well as an estimate on any trade then don't even consider walking in the door. A couple days for a quote is ridiculous. Shouldn't take more than an hour tops.

10. Member
    I went to another State to buy my boat because of the lack of a True
    Ranger dealer in central Indiana. Call Dixie marine and ask for Rudy
    he will help you out and put you in a great boat.

11. Member
    Talk to Sam or Karen at Bedford Sales Morris IL. 815-942-1333

12. Member
    Try Pete at Pros Choice in Warsaw MO. He was once very active here but haven't seen him in a while. Also Tony at Perfect Catch in Bull Shoals AR 10 minutes from the factory.

Devil's advocate:
    Maybe they all get a ton of tire kickers in and are tired of people wasting their time. Just like putting offers in on a house, be pre-approved and then maybe they will treat you better.

Don't slaughter me, but if you go to (god forbid) basspro, think how many people ask the price and financing or if there is wiggle room? Most are not even close to actually making a commitment. The sales people should ask if they are going to be purchasing in the short term or not though, that would weed out these individuals.

14. Member
    I’ve found dealers to be pretty unaccommodating as well. Probably because they’ve been puked on too many times quoting their overpriced boat.

15. Member
    Not exactly sure of the rules of map pricing but I think if your calling an out of state dealer your probably going to get the full retail price over the phone....

16. Member
    Don't think it's the dealers fault for quoting MAP pricing. They have threatened the dealers pretty good on not selling below MAP price. They know the independent dealers would under cut their company stores if they allowed that. They obviously make more money overall if Cabela's sells the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by gwa5bfish View Post
    It's not just you. I called a dealer in TN and they never called back. Called another and they were not very accommodating. I have so far had fantastic response from a dealer that may not be too far from you - Pro's Choice Marine! Get a Ranger or you will still want one ....
    Agree...Talk to Pete...Great guy and will give you a fair deal with no BS...

18. Member
    Probably good reason pros choice is one of the biggest dealers around. A buddy got a nitro there, they still are going out of their way for him.

19. Member
    Call Tony at Perfect Catch (870 445 2628)marine In bull Shoals, Great guy to deal with and you can go on a factory tour and fish Bull and Norfork when you pick it up.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

20. Member
    Bought a new boat from Dixie Marine in January. Mike was very good about getting back to me with answers to my questions. They want to sell boats. Give them a call.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast