Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by howieranger View Post
    Call Tony at Perfect Catch (870 445 2628)marine In bull Shoals, Great guy to deal with and you can go on a factory tour and fish Bull and Norfork when you pick it up.
    Yep I mentioned him earlier, hes a pretty cool guy. Not only does he keep a Ranger but he also has a Stroker

I just bought a Ranger and did the entire deal through email...still have never met the sales guy because he was off the day I picked up the boat. I emailed almost every dealer in Texas and was amazed the price difference for the exact same boat. They all use the Ranger website for initial pricing...but then some take thousands off that price..others don’t. The place I bought from emailed me the exact build sheet showing dealer prep, tax, etc...all the little things that drive up the price by thousands...others refused to do so. If you are ordering accessories, the dealer prep charge will kill you..they charge a fortune to put on accessories...even batteries. Always get the final drive off the lot price and have them send you the build sheet. Do not accept anything other than drive off the lot price. Also ask about engine warranty, the dealer I bought from had a special full 5 year warranty plan...up from the standard 3 year. Know the exact options you want..that’s the only way you can compare prices.
    Last edited by j791; 05-06-2021 at 11:13 PM.

3. Member
    Give Toby a call at 270-395-4030 at Jet a Marina, they still have several in stock with a couple demos. BOARD SPONSOR

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerRodney View Post
    Give Toby a call at 270-395-4030 at Jet a Marina, they still have several in stock with a couple demos. BOARD SPONSOR
    The folks at Jet-a are on the ball. I have great rapport with Knox Marine here in Ohio, but would do business with Toby in a heartbeat, if the occasion arose.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by rangered View Post
    I went to another State to buy my boat because of the lack of a True
    Ranger dealer in central Indiana. Call Dixie marine and ask for Rudy
    he will help you out and put you in a great boat.
    +1
    2021 Ranger Z519 Mercury 225 Pro XS Four Stroke

6. Member
    I ran into largely the same thing when I bought my Z520 about 6 months ago. In my case part of the problem was they are not willing to give anything but list price over the phone. That makes it tough on someone sincerely trying to buy but being hours away. In the end I took a chance, made and appt and got on the road checkbook in hand. It all worked out, but was frustrating that no one wanted to talk/deal over the phone.

7. Joe4d
    Ordering is one thing, but for a boat sitting on a lot advertised ?
    If it didnt have the price on it I wouldnt have even wasted time contacting them. Pretty much rule for me on anything,,,no listed price, I'm scrolling on by to the next one. I mean really how stupid,, after the item name ,, price is pretty much the most important part of the transaction.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffy1337 View Post
    Nearest dealer is 2 hours from my location and it took one dealer 5 days to get back with me and the other I haven’t heard back from. So am I going about this wrong? I call and tell them you have a boat listed on your website that I would like to get a price on. They take my number and I wait and wait. I would think a day or two is plenty of time to price out a boat.

So do I show up at the dealership with a box full of cash and hope they will sell me a boat if I say please?

Getting frustrated

Call Sandy or Nick at Anglers Choice Marine in NC/VA. They will bend over backwards to help you out however they can. www.anglerschoicemarine.com

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    Don't think it's the dealers fault for quoting MAP pricing. They have threatened the dealers pretty good on not selling below MAP price. They know the independent dealers would under cut their company stores if they allowed that. They obviously make more money overall if Cabela's sells the boat.

Winna winna, chicken dinna!

It is price fixing at it's finest and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

My local dealer has a '17 Z521C, 250 SHO, Lowrance electronics and it was MSRP $72,999 IIRC.

The last time I was there and asked about it they said it was $65K but I have to think that if someone with deep pockets came in they might be willing to go lower?

I'm not sure how much lower they could go though with the strict orders from above.
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

What model are you trying to purchase? If a dealer has a 2018 in stock they are going to be willing to deal, if not its a little more difficult with the rules they have in place.

11. Member
    They make more profit off pleasure boats and also know if that ranger sits there long enough it will sell regardless.

We have a really good inventory right now all boats are inside also. If you want to talk tonight or anytime ill pm you my cell number.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

13. Member
    yup... I filled out the ""trade in value part on one dealers website..and they wouldn't respond...only just said boats sell at map pricing when I asked about pricing..I asked 2 maybe 3 times do you take trades...no response... think they had to much new boat inventory and didn't want anymore on the floor...oh well...I understand and will move on

14. Member
    Mare of Aquia in Virginia. 540-657-1136

15. Member
    Try Skyline marina, NC

16. Member
    what if everyone just listed what they paid for their new boats with all the options etc.. or even quotes that they are getting from dealers...some would be lower/higher than others...get it out in the open..???

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerRodney View Post
    I will second this. I talked to Toby a couple of times when I was in the market. Nice guy and very knowledgeable! Although I ended up buying from an individual, if I were in the market they would be on the short list. The local dealers in East TN are just not willing to deal.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonray View Post
    what if everyone just listed what they paid for their new boats with all the options etc.. or even quotes that they are getting from dealers...some would be lower/higher than others...get it out in the open..???
    That reminds me of when I bought my boat. Visiting dealers and getting firm quotes off a build sheet. First dealer was very clear not to take their quote and start a bidding war between dealers. I was not to show that quote to anyone (which I didn't). Second dealer beat his price by $1,500. To my surprise the first dealer then asks to see the 2nd dealer quote because it has to be wrong. Gets very upset when I won't show it to him. Basically asking me to do the same thing he warned me not to do. I quickly decided not to do business with him.

Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    We hear this report all the time: “leave a message and we’ll call you back,” but it takes forever for them to do so. It’s not that marine dealers are all made of money or extremely lazy. I put it down to people being drawn to the business because they love boats/fishing, but loving boats/fishing doesn’t automatically make you tech-savvy or a great online or phone communicator. I’ll also say this, when you find a boat salesman who returns calls within an hour, s/he’s a keeper!

P.S. After reading the latest post from the OP, I’m not terribly surprised to hear that dealers are reluctant to come off MAP pricing over the phone, talking to (what seems to be) a stranger. Ranger expects them to do this. The main savings to be negotiated are on dealer prep, throw-ins from the dealership, and options purchased/installed at the dealership.
    This is how my dealer is. He's a mechanic by trade but started selling boats several years ago. He's more comfortable in the back turning wrenches, but forces himself out front. He comes across as distant or rude sometimes, but he's not. He's very nice, and honest. I wouldn't trade him for another dealer in the state.

I have three dealers within an hour drive. I contacted all 3 via email and asked for their lowest drive out price. Out of the three, two were over 2k higher. To get them to give you a quote, simply follow up with several emails. Then ask for the general manager so you can forward your “non-response” emails. They will give you a quote. Here’s the deal, the dealers get incentives and can choose to lower the MAP pricing or keep the profit. So all Ranger dealers do use MAP pricing, the question is what kind of discount do they give you? What is the dealer prep charge? Watch out for all those fees they add to the price...that’s why you always ask for the drive out...tax, dealer prep, doc preparation fees, etc... I just bought a 2019 Z185 this way...bought all my assessories...PowerPole, 2 HDS 12s, precision sonar plates, three 31 AGM batteries/w trays, Ultrex, transducer savers, etc...separate and installed myself...remember they make a ton on assessories. Also ask if they have deals on extending the motor warranty...my dealer explained they get a certain number of certificates that they pass on to their customers allowing the customer to extend the full warranty for an extra 2 or 3 years for just a few hundred bucks....remember it costs $100 per hour for repair work.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast