Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar

Florida Rain Gear??

This topic must get beat to death but the search didn’t help much and clothing changes so much so I’m gonna ask...

For us people in the south, what raingear do you use? I know what I spent on my hunting stuff but that’s for cold weather. I can’t believe you have to spend $300 to get decent rain gear but it seems like it goes cheap Frog Toggs, or ultra expensive $500 rain suits!

Can someone steer me toward a rain jacket and pants that work, don’t feel like a rubber suit and don’t cost $500?

Id appreciate any advice. Here in Florida it rains when it’s not supposed to, like today, 30% chance and I got a helluva storm at 3:15!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

2. Member
    Isn't a 2 to 3 o'clock down pour standard in Fl during the summer? Every time I stayed at my parents in Naples it sure would. I have no problems with my Cabelas Pac-lite suite. I get more use from it than either of my guide ware suites. Thin goretex and light weight. Great for a cool morning when you forget the sweatshirt also.

3. Member
    Nothing will be as comfortable as thin Gore-Tex, as noted.
    However, it’s very expensive unless you find it on clearance.
    My personal choice - Marmot Precip Jacket and Pants.
    Find them on sale and you’ll have packable gear for $150.
    Both the top and bottom have vents, so they do breathe.

4. Member
    Jim your right, 100 for the pants and 130 for the jacket. The things have gone up since about 10 years ago.

5. Member
    Heavy duty 3MIL garbage bag, with holes. You're welcome.
    Works for me.

Frabill F1 Storm ....Frabill's F1 Storm Gear is built for anglers that know all about overheating. Coastal and freshwater bass anglers are subjected to some of the worst weather imaginable. When it’s pouring rain, but the thermometer still reads 80-degrees or higher, you can get drenched on the inside even if your raingear keeps outside moisture out. Frabill developed F-Series raingear with the specific purpose of keeping you dry inside…and out.

https://www.fieldsupply.com/frabill-...rm-jacket.html
    https://www.fieldsupply.com/frabill-f1-storm-pants.html

under $80
    Allen
    911 Bass Anglers
    Bucks County PA

7. Banned
    Hit the Tampa area golf courses and country clubs; they have by far the best rain gear for the conditions of Fl. If You buy junk, You end up more wet from perspiration than precipitation. Look for FootJoy™ If You can Golf in it, You can fish in it.

A lot of the Country Clubs don't take outside sales or even cash but being a Barrister, I'd opine You know some members already..

8. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    You have a point there, my golf rain gear does allow a lot of movement even though the sound of it distracts me in my swing, I’m no Tiger! I do happen to know a PGA Pro at a private course here in town, might have to give him a ring! Thanks.

The Frabill stuff is something I’ll look at, I can’t possibly mismatch outfits! That would look unprofessional!

I think there’s a bubble around me though, it won’t rain while I’m on the water this summer....I think they want me to keel over from heat stroke!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by allen656 View Post
    Frabill F1 Storm ....Frabill's F1 Storm Gear is built for anglers that know all about overheating. Coastal and freshwater bass anglers are subjected to some of the worst weather imaginable. When it’s pouring rain, but the thermometer still reads 80-degrees or higher, you can get drenched on the inside even if your raingear keeps outside moisture out. Frabill developed F-Series raingear with the specific purpose of keeping you dry inside…and out.

https://www.fieldsupply.com/frabill-...rm-jacket.html
    https://www.fieldsupply.com/frabill-f1-storm-pants.html

under $80
    It does not matter if it's 80 degrees or 30 degrees wet always will equal freezing.Light gortex hiking jackets and pants should be going on sale to make room for heavier fall and winter ones

T-shirt and shorts in Florida rain this time of year , its like taking a warm shower , 80 degrees is at night in Fl. not the same as the great N West .

Check with Sierra Trading Post. Hiking gear works just as well as fishing gear. Thin and breathable (Gore Tex or similar material) is the only way to be halfway comfortable in the heat and rain.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

12. Member
    Whatever brand you choose make sure to buy several pairs of those sweat bands that fit over your wrists. They only cost a few bucks and I store them in the rain jacket pockets.

They keep the water from running “up” your arm all the way to your armpit when you raise your hand/arm to cast. When the first pair gets soaked put on a dry pair. Works like a champ and they are real cheap.

13. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Yeah I’ve always used a wide rubber band on each arm when bow hunting, and to keep the jacket from hitting my string when I shoot at odd angles.

I have all kinds of rain gear, just nothing that I trust to work every time, not make me sweat like a pig, keep me somewhat dry and will be comfortable.

The Frabil F1 stuff looks nice...I looked on Amazon and came up with 37,000 results. I hate buying stuff I can’t touch and try on first. Oh what horrible problems!

I do appreciate the suggestions though, it’s strange that there can really be THAT many different freakin rain jackets/pants/bibs/etc. I’ve looked for hours to find one I like then I see a different one and start over my thought process.

14. Banned

15. Member
    Grudens Weather Watch Jacket
    https://shop.grundens.com/shop/jacke...ooded-jackets/

Not FL warm but, living in SC it gets warm enough.

Recommend longsleeve performance shirt, keeps the jacket off your skin.

These jackets run small, get a size bigger than normal.

16. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I’m doing the “looking for work” right now! I left my firm 15 months ago to take care of my mom when her lung cancer became...also brain cancer. She passed March 14th...getting my little boat has kept my brother and I sane but I’ve been so work focused the last 15 years (except for when Lyme Disease tried to kill me) that I never thought of having a little fun doing what I loved to do when I was younger.

The last few months have been a roller coaster, hell yesterday I had to call 911 because my brother was calling me sounding like he was dying...I was sitting in the school line to pick up my daughter.

Ended up being kidney stones but walking back into that hospital messed me up.

17. Member
    I got the HUK 200.00 light weight for hot weather. 100 MPH with liner for winter.

18. Member
    I have a set of Grundens for colder months, a lightweight breathable Marmot jacket and cheapo columbia pants I'll wear for a long run back in the rain, but I also have a set of those really cheap frog toggs that I cut the sleeves and pants legs into shorts for fishing through some rain when it's hot. I wear sandals in summer so I don't worry about feet getting wet. I'll take my long sleeves off and go shirtless under the short sleeve top. It's almost bearable. I just hate having soaking wet stuff after it stops.

19. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I’ve noticed the HUK and the Gruden stuff looks pretty good and found a lot of surprisingly affordable Columbia pfg rainwear that appears to be thin. I’m not getting rain without massive lightning right now anyway so the cheap FrogTogs are working but I hate being uncomfortable.

20. Banned

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast