Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Spinning rod recommendations?

I am in need of new spinning rods. I have a bunch of 7'1" MH/F st Croix mojo bass rods. The feel was great, the hookset was mediocre. Broke one YESTERDAY hauling in a fish. Called them today Their warranty program is nonsense. I want to buy something new and put a video of these being fed to a woodchipper on social media. Lol

What would you guys recommend in the $150-ish range for a good spinning rod for bass fishing? I fish with Texas rigs, Rapalas, and whopper ploppers.

Thanks!

2. Scraps
    The new Powell Endurance are pretty nice. Might even be able to find the 3Ds on closeout at Powell.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Member
    Following. I use almost all baitcasters, my spinning rods are all light line finesse rods and are mojo bass rods. But I need something heavier for when I take someone who can't use a baitcaster, in case I get on a decent crankbait bite or jig, whopper plopper, texas rig, etc.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

4. Member
    I'll throw my $.02 in. St croix has amazing customer service and a great warranty plan IMO. Hate to see anyone think differently because of this thread.

No issues with there customer service or warranty claims on my end? Also the rod you described is the same specs I have except I could set a hook into a cinder block and move it many feet through the yard... not sure what yours is about.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

6. Member
    Abu Garcia villain 2.0 can be had for $150 online. They are fantastic spinning rods. Or the new Daiwa Tatula spinning rods with the cork grips are worth a look if they’re on the market yet.

7. Member
    I've got a Falcon Cara, formally known as the Squirrel Tail before Kreit left Falcon, CS-4-17 MS. Very versatile I love that rod. But I've got a NRX 892s coming tomorrow from Tackle Trap though.

8. Member
    I really like the fenwick elite tech rods and you can usually find them for less than $150

9. Member
    Falcon. No question on feel and durability.

10. Member
    I love St Croix - warranty program is awesome. My experience with them has been with Avids and up.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    Abu Garcia villain 2.0 can be had for $150 online. They are fantastic spinning rods. Or the new Daiwa Tatula spinning rods with the cork grips are worth a look if they’re on the market yet.
    Yes, I have several Villains and Vendettas - those are what I switched from. They didn't quite have the feel I was looking for.

As for hook-set issues with the mojos, I literally had to yank the rod over my head and bend it up like a candy cane to get a Gamakatsu with a texas rig to set. With Tatsu. The feel of the rods was great, they really do telegraph everything - but they just didn't seem to have much of a spine.

Abu and Fenwick both have warranties FAR superior to St Croix. Abu only wanted a picture of a broken rod, didn't even want it back. Fenwick? I can literally walk into any Fenwick dealer with one of my Elites and walk out with a new rod (my musky rods are Fenwick Elite).

I'm not the only one that's dissatisfied with the level of customer service they "offer". Numerous friends told me not to buy St Croix rods. Even more irritating is they are only a few hours up the road from me, so it was kind of a feel-good thing to support a "local" business. Not worth the headache.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    I'll throw my $.02 in. St croix has amazing customer service and a great warranty plan IMO. Hate to see anyone think differently because of this thread.
    Hate to see anyone buy a st Croix & get screwed because of your comment.

13. Member
    Gawd. Sorry, but you can't fish in my boat with those deplorable St. Croix fishing rods. I am not a big tournament fisherman, but I do fish three clubs and an occasional open tournament. We don't have many bass the size that Wisconsin natives catch on a regular basis so I'll just continue to squeak by on my non-elitist rods and reels.
    If I replaced the rods I have on deck with inferior St. Croix rods at just $100 a pop, I'd have to invest $800 right off the bat. Out of my league. I've scored several St. Croix rods, they seem pretty nice to me, and I've sold them quickly and at a handsome profit at fishing shows and fishing flea markets but alas, what would I know?
    Maybe I'm jealous or just easily impressed.

14. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I only use St.Croix and have had nothing but great luck with them I did have one break and was replaced no problem , the only problem I have is the ceramic coming out of the top eye but that is probably from me running the weight into them to often.lol other than that great rods all mine are mojo's would like to go up to the higher end but can't afford it yet
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

I'll be sticking with St Croix.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

16. Member
    Wow, you guys are so helpful. Wtf...

17. Member
    If you are breaking that many rods and doing it over at least three different brands, you may want to evaluate your treatment of said rods and brands. They are all three very good box store brands. However, if your goal is to get free rods everytime you break one, by all means stick to those brands who give you free ones. St Croix and other high end companies would appreciate it also.

I love all my St Croix's! I have several Avid spinning rods (I've recommended them to several people who have bought 'em and love 'em!). I use 7' Eyecon's to cast crappie jigs and to red ear/bluegill fish. Love them too! As far as warranty is concerned: Filing a claim is super easy, and they have always taken care of me!

Sorry it doesn't help you, but I have had nothing but great experiences with St Croix. Own 20 of them in Premiere, Mojo, and Legend Tournament series. And have sent back somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-6 in the last 10 years.
    Ranger Z-20, Yamaha F225.

20. Member
    Just my 2 cents and I am very far from being an expert but as I fish more I learn more.
    My son-in-law and I have tried a few of the ZX and XML rods from Cabela's this year and like them.
    I personally like the 7ft (drop shot) ZX medium/extra fast...Use it almost exclusively with a tube with 10# braid with a leader. No problem with hook-sets.
    They occasionally go on sale for $79.00-$89.00

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast