Another re-power question.

Almost ready to pull the trigger. I know about the water pressure sensor that has to be purchased, but can a Merc Monitor from my current Opti be reset to 0 hours, fuel used etc, or do I need to purchase a new monitor? Thanks

2. Member
    Just reset the merc monitor for fuel used it will read the hours off the motor.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Actually, perform a "Reset to Factory Defaults" on your MercMonitor. It will then go through the same steps as a brand-new gauge.

Hours are stored in the Engine PCM, so that's no problem.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. mikesxpress
    This is what actually happens:

The pic below is the Monitor just after repower hookup. I did nothing to it. Mercury loaded .8 hours on the new engine at the factory which jives with the G3 engine report. The fuel used was also zero.

Previous Opti had 420 hours on it and on the monitor prior to taking it off so when you hook up the new engine it just starts over with whatever the PCM says.
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 08-14-2018 at 03:15 PM.

I would still to be on the safe side go into the options on the Monitor and do a factory reset. When I did mine and you turn the key on it should read on the mercmonitor Mercury V8 for the initial start for communication.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Can-P Data is still the same, regardless, so yes, it would function as Mike described.

However, you should DEFINITELY reset to Factory Defaults and allow it to identify the engine properly, so as to activate the appropriate features within the instrument, based on the engine type.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. mikesxpress
    Based on Don's and Ryan's input I completed the reset and nothing changed except it wiped out my settings and favorite screen settings (to be expected). Still the same inputs available for selection and no Mercury V8 title at start up? It does it's system check, all ok, then goes to the monitor screens same as before.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Appearance of the instrument does not change. What does change is the data protocols (opening the items specific to the 4-stroke model, especially those not present on 2-strokes).

For instance: Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, etc.

9. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbeefishin View Post
    I would still to be on the safe side go into the options on the Monitor and do a factory reset. When I did mine and you turn the key on it should read on the mercmonitor Mercury V8 for the initial start for communication.
    Ryan please post a pic of the Mercury V8 startup screen.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I believe you will find that is the customizable startup message (you can even program it to say "Mornin Mike").

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Ryan please post a pic of the Mercury V8 startup screen.
    My mistake on the initial startup during first communication when it recognizes the motor it recognizes it as mercury 4 stroke, after that on each startup it just goes through check process.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    My mistake on the initial startup during first communication when it recognizes the motor it recognizes it as mercury 4 stroke, after that on each startup it just goes through check process.

13. Member
    Hey Don, do you have a list of what SC functions are available on each engine? That might be an interesting thing to keep in the FAQ
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Have one in there, but it's an earlier version list. Will check for latest/greatest and get an updated one when I can get my hands on it.

As of this time, the latest one Mercury has out is:

Smartcraft

15. mikesxpress
    Yep. Same thing when we just plugged the new 4 stroke up and same thing again after the reset.

16. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I believe you will find that is the customizable startup message (you can even program it to say "Mornin Mike").
    I saw that when I first installed it years ago but never changed any text. It's ok like it is.

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Also keep in mind that a Smartcraft Instrument (depending on Version) would need to be reset to Factory Defaults, and reconfigured as a 4-stroke in order to take advantage of the Maintenance Reminder features.

Maintenance Reminder features are not active on 2-stroke product.