Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    Soon I am gonna go out on a limb and buy a single 24 volt 50ah battery for my 24v 80# thrust motor. I think I will be fine but, if I need more I will buy the other 24v 50ah battery and that will give me 100ah's. I seldom fish any entire day and more than not I fish for about 4 hours give or take an hour.
    if you have a 3 bank charger, what do you do with the wires where the 3rd battery should be? tape them up? I thought about the same thing, but assumed if no battery was attached to the 3rd bank, it would damage the charger.
    2016 Ranger Z518
    Mercury 150 HP Fourstroke

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blkfalc4 View Post
    It would work I suppose, but don't think it will get them to 100% as the lithium setup has different requirements.

This is where I got the charger that's programmed for my BB lithiums. Also, got the extensions there to make my charger remote.

https://www.batterymart.com/p-ps3-li...m-charger.html
    this is from the BB website, implies any charger will work, which based on the conversations on here, is confusing:
    The Battle Born Battery also requires no new hardware to run in your boat, RV, trailer, or golf cart. Just pull out that grungy old lead acid battery (use two hands, those suckers are heavy), drop in this elegant upgrade, and get yourself out there.

2016 Ranger Z518

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blkfalc4 View Post
    They are 2 -12V 50Ah lithiums from battleborn wired in a normal 24V series setup.

The Dual Pro is a 3 bank 12V PS3 charger.
    blkfalc4 - Are you cranking your outboard motor with a Battle Born 100Ah 12V lithium deep cycle battery? What year, brand, model, and size outboard motor?

Howard Harris
    Phoenix, Arizona 85048
    2019 20'9" Ranger Z520C
    250 Mercury V8 Pro XS Four-Stroke/Serial #:2B644590
    Minn Kota Ultrex 36V 112LB 45"
    LiveScope LVS34 Plus & Garmin 102SV (Bow)
    LiveScanner Motorized Pole/RyTek Marine Bracket/Garmin LVS34 Plus Xducer)
    Lowrance HDS 9 Live (Bow)
    Lowrance HDS 12 Live (Driver's Console)
    Precision Sonar Plates, Brackets, and Gimbals
    23P Mercury Fury-3 Blade
    Email: azhohar@centurylink.net

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azhohar View Post
    blkfalc4 - Are you cranking your outboard motor with a Battle Born 100Ah 12V lithium deep cycle battery? What year, brand, model, and size outboard motor?
    Yes, one in my sig.

The battery works fine, I've had not one issue, *knock on wood*
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badMackrel View Post
    if you have a 3 bank charger, what do you do with the wires where the 3rd battery should be? tape them up? I thought about the same thing, but assumed if no battery was attached to the 3rd bank, it would damage the charger.
    Every multi bank charger I've seen has wiring diagrams in the manual for how to wire up with less than the specified number of banks. Every one I have seen specified that every single lead must be hooked up to a battery. You can hook multiple leads to any one battery, btw.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

6. BBC SPONSOR
    our single 36 volt battery for all day use or the 2 36v battery kit will keep you going all day plus some Lithiumpros.com

I have a dual pro 3 bank sportsman series. I don't know about other chargers but, dual pro chargers have separate chargers in one unit for each bank. I would tape the ends for sure but, don't know if they would even come on if it didn't sense any voltage. For the 24volt battery I would need a 24 volt charger.

this is from the BB website, implies any charger will work, which based on the conversations on here, is confusing:
    The Battle Born Battery also requires no new hardware to run in your boat, RV, trailer, or golf cart. Just pull out that grungy old lead acid battery (use two hands, those suckers are heavy), drop in this elegant upgrade, and get yourself out there.

I know my Dual Pro will work on lithium's. It can be sent back to the factory and have the lithium profile programed into it.

9. Member
    Well, i just ordered 2-50AH battleborn batteries. did lots of research and decided to pull the trigger. a couple of things to mention.
    1) I was worried that 50AH wouldn't be enough, however i realized i have AGM deep cycles 100AH, which when discharged 50%, they don't supply 24v. I have never had any issues with them dying. so i am thinking 50AH lithiums will be just fine. I did call Battleborn and they were very helpful. They told me if the 50AH batteries don't work from me, i can exchange them, however i would have to pay the return shipping. note that i am just a weekend warrior, if i were semi-pro or pro, I would opt for the 100AH. I also spoke the Relion battery guys, also very helpful, and they also said they recommend the 50AH batteries for the weekend warriors, and have sold lots without any returns or negative feedback.

2) what type of charger? Well again I spoke to Battleborn and Relion , and both companies' batteries are designed to be "drop in replacements". Meaning a special battery charger or charger profile is not required to charge the batteries, as well as your existing charger will not harm the batteries. However, your existing charger may not charge the batteries a full 100% capacity. I also had a less than satisfactory email exchange with Pro Systems, the folks who make the Dual Pro chargers. They are capable of updating the charge profiles in certain models of their chargers. If you contact Pro Systems support, they will give you a bit of a run around, and they don't seem to be aware of the fact they can update the profiles. Contact Battleborn, Relion or the manufacturer of the battery you want, and they will give you the direct contact for the person at Pro Systems to check if your charger can be updated. As they did with me. Battleborn also gave me chart which I will try to post, which can give you an idea of how much your charger has actually charged your battery. Basically, put a volt meter on the batter, if you get 13.6 volts or above, then you are charged 100%

3) Cranking battery. Through my research, i found a few companies make lithum batteries which are considered dual purpose. At some point i may purchase a 100AH dual purpose. Relion indicated their batteries are engineered to start the motor once per hour. They also indicated they will start more frequently, but the battery is rated for that. For now, i am going to stick with a 100AH AGM battery for cranking and dual purpose.

4) Trolling motor ratings. right from the Minn Kota website:
    Minn Kota does not recommend the use Lithium Ion batteries. Lithium Ion batteries run at a higher voltage for longer periods versus traditional lead-acid batteries. This can lead to overheating of the motor circuitry and cause premature failures. Due to this Minn Kota does not support the use of Lithium Ion batteries for powering our trolling motors.

https://www.minnkotamotors.com/support/faqs/can-i-use-lithium-ion-batteries-my-minn-kota-trolling-motor

this has me rethinking this whole thing.

Update: I called Minn Kota, and this does not void the warranty. It is just their recommendation.
    Last edited by badMackrel; 09-19-2018 at 10:16 AM.
    2016 Ranger Z518

10. Member

here it is
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2016 Ranger Z518

11. Banned
    https://www.minnkotamotors.com/suppo...trolling-motor
    Sorry but that does not make sense to me.
    The last thing any electric drive motor wants is low voltage.
    I could get into a lot of theory but essentially DC motors like peek voltage. I am curious about the statement from MinnKota.
    This is a long way from the original post and could use its own topic.
    For the original post, I would look to match the AMP/HOURS I know work with the current batteries.
    At 120 Amp/Hours I have 75% battery after a windy day and 50% left when in current.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D-wayne View Post
    https://www.minnkotamotors.com/suppo...trolling-motor

For the original post, I would look to match the AMP/HOURS I know work with the current batteries.
    At 120 Amp/Hours I have 75% battery after a windy day and 50% left when in current.
    A 100 AH AGM is only usable to 50% anyway, so that would be 50 AH, correct? I will give it a try, and post what I find. There are others who are using 50AH just fine. I think sometimes we always feel bigger is better. and it probably is, but is it really needed?
    2016 Ranger Z518

A 100 AH AGM is only usable to 50% anyway, so that would be 50 AH, correct? I will give it a try, and post what I find. There are others who are using 50AH just fine. I think sometimes we always feel bigger is better. and it probably is, but is it really needed?
    Sent you a PM.

14. Member
    The battleborns showed up today. swapped out the batteries. FYI, both do not actually fit in a group 31 battery tray. However i am going to look around a bit to see if i can find a tray they will both fit into. Also, my stock Dual Pro charger charged them to 100%. I took a volt reading on each battery and got 13.8 & 13.9 volts. as per their chart above, that is 100%. I will check again over the nect few cycles. this weekend will be the first test run. Will let you know. So far, looks like my charger doesn't require an update. cossing my fingers.....
    2016 Ranger Z518

15. Banned
    What have the sponsored pros got in their boats for batteries?
    That might give you a reference point to start with.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D-wayne View Post
    What have the sponsored pros got in their boats for batteries?
    That might give you a reference point to start with.

If I got batteries for free or a big discount, I imagine I would have the whatever the sponsored pros would have. since I have to pay for them, I am starting with the 50's.
    2016 Ranger Z518

17. BBC SPONSOR
    Most of our pros are running 2 36V 40ah TM batteries and M3110 12V for starting and Graphs

Only $6397.00 worth of batteries!
    2017 Legend SS 1860 Semi-V
    2013 Evinrude Etec 150/105 jet drive
    Minn kota Ultrex Quest Trolling Motor
    Humminbird Helix 9 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N (console)
    Garmin Echomap Ultra 106sv with LVS32 transducer (bow)
    YouTube: youtube.com/Etec86

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by st041986 View Post
    Only $6397.00 worth of batteries!
    No one is forcing you to buy them.
    2018 BassCat Lynx
    Mercury 300R

Beautiful Grand Lake
    Grove Oklahoma

P
    The battleborns showed up today. swapped out the batteries. FYI, both do not actually fit in a group 31 battery tray. However i am going to look around a bit to see if i can find a tray they will both fit into.....
    Call or PM Wackyriggers. They sell Relions and make trays to fit the various Relion battery sizes. I would imagine one will work with your BBs.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast