Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

What Size Lithium Setup

I have read pages and pages of reviews and post so wanted to do a thread on exactly this. What is the "just right" size for an Ultrex 36v TM for lithium batteries. I fish the conditions, sometimes fast, sometimes slow, wind or not. What size have you guys been running and have you ever ran out of juice?
    Last edited by jphillips2546; 08-13-2018 at 03:47 PM.

I have 3x 50ah Relions for my 112 Fortrex. I have fished all day in wind and current and never ran them out. My son fishes like you and always on the pedal. He never ran out either. I had to have a custom battery tray made to fit them. It cost me about $60 to have it made.
    Last edited by 06 SB; 08-13-2018 at 06:22 PM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    +1

We handle ReLion batteries and that is exactly the configuration in my Ranger 521C with a 36V Ultrex. 3 of the 50 Ah ReLion (15 lb ea) and 1 of the 100 Ah High Performance Cranking batteries using a Minn Kota 460 PC charger...really simple stuff.

Fish all day in HEAVY conditions....and barely dents the batteries.

I use all 12 v batteries as they are drop in replacements for what you have now. Took over 210 lb out of my boat...

We also make the custom battery trays for the 3 bank 50 Ah configs....but maybe I missed the boat, we don't charge that much $$$ for them <LOL>!

Roy

4. Member
    Any pics of the trays or batteries in the trays?

5. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    Sure.... Here you go...pretty simple!

Attached Images Attached Images

Mine is a bit more robust and has a custom ratchet strap. None of which are needed but it works!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

7. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    Certainly understood. One of may favorite quotes “adequacy is adequate” So these are cut from .5” Starboard and use two standard straps. Just easy and it works perfectly.
    Last edited by rbarrow; 08-22-2018 at 09:12 AM. Reason: sp

8. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    1. What is the "just right" size for an Ultrex 36v TM for lithium batteries. I fish the conditions, sometimes fast, sometimes slow, wind or not.

Maybe the question needing answered is what is size in number of amp hours that the lithium battery purchased today needs to be so as to still be able to provide you in a few years enough capacity? (after it has had quite a few discharge cycles on it and no longer can deliver its original 'when new' rated amp-hour capacity.)
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 08-14-2018 at 09:38 AM.

9. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    Most of the lithium mfgs state 80% capacity after 2000 cycles. 200 days per year of fishing x 10 yrs and still be at 80%... not too bad for the most part.

I suspect replacement cost will fall rather substantially over that timeframe as well.

When most of us spend $2000-3000 on a depth finder that may last for 3-4 yrs, it isn’t that unusual an investment ��

10. Member
    Yeah I was thinking the same and perhaps getting the 60-80AH range. In 10 years, I would hope to still have 50AH. At the risk of sounding dumb, what does the X really mean in the 60-X?
    Last edited by jphillips2546; 08-14-2018 at 05:28 AM.

11. Member
    Why even worry when you can put 3 Battleborn 100amps in your boat and pay less than anyone else. 3 year warranty with a 4 and 5 year pro rated deal if something goes wrong. It was a no brainer for me.

12. Member
    jphillips,

some examples....

If a 50 amp hour Lithiium battery setup per the manufacturer provides only 40 amp-hours toward normal end of life, if with a trolling motor with its max speed reduced to draw 40 amps, one hour of continuous operation fully discharges all the Lithiums in one hour.

If the trolling motor is operated just 50% of the time, the Lithiums would be die at 2 hours.

If operated 1/3 or the time, they last 3 hours.

To get through a 10 hour fishing day, the trolling motor could only be used 10% of time ( 6 minutes each hour)

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou r Pitcher View Post
    jphillips,

some examples....

If a 50 amp hour Lithiium battery setup per the manufacturer provides only 40 amp-hours toward normal end of life, if with a trolling motor with its max speed reduced to draw 40 amps, one hour of continuous operation fully discharges all the Lithiums in one hour.

If the trolling motor is operated just 50% of the time, the Lithiums would be die at 2 hours.

If operated 1/3 or the time, they last 3 hours.

To get through a 10 hour fishing day, the trolling motor could only be used 10% of time ( 6 minutes each hour)
    To give this perspective, the 112 ultrex is rated to draw up to 52 amps. This is what worries me about the smaller batteries. Saying that though, I've never killed my 27 series but I know I've ran them pretty low once fishing in some HEAVY wind. Plus guys are running these 50ah lithiums without issues so I'm not sure what the normal amp draw is on a 112 motor at around 30-50%

14. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    While not a 112 Ultrex, here is a video showing an 80 Terrova. You can draw some estimates from this I would expect:

I will have to get my meter out and run the same test on my Ultrex 112...

R

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarrow View Post
    While not a 112 Ultrex, here is a video showing an 80 Terrova. You can draw some estimates from this I would expect:

I will have to get my meter out and run the same test on my Ultrex 112...

R
    That does help. I wonder if the 112 is close? I would think it is.

16. Member
    The clamp on meters can be indeed accurate for measuring continuous direct current or proper RMS AC currents if setup and used properly. (The arrows on the sides of the clamp probe are for properly positioning of the wire before zeroing the unit. )

Minn Kota trolling motors though use neither continuous DC or RMS AC......they use a pulse DC method of controlling the speed of their motors.

The published draw of the 80 lb Terrova trolling motor shown in the video per Minn Kota is 56 amps'''' not close to the meter readings shown on the video.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 08-14-2018 at 06:30 PM.

17. Member
    My Relion (3) 50 ah batteries in a 36 volt setup have been in service for just over 3 1/2 years of flawless service. I've used them with two different boat on with a Motor Guide XI5 and now with a Minnkota Ulterra I transferred them from the old boat to the new one. I have not been able to kill these batteries while fishing. I've used them offshore trolling at slow speeds holding in fast current under max load and still produced full power. I've also tested these batteries to see under max load with my Minnkota Ulterra on 10 how long they would last. I have the Victron gauge setup with a shunt to see the amp draw ah left and percentage of usage left in the batteries on every outing and to see how consistent they are over there service. I have not been able to kill them yet.
    So in a normal day of fishing i use about 20% to 30% of the battery. The most I've been able to draw them down is 60% and if they still have 40% power usage left. There isn't enough daylight to use them in a normal day of fishing under normal use. Also the recharge even faster and are always ready the next morning!
    I find it funny that people still think these batteries don't have the life and amp draw to last. I'm a real world tester that has spent there hard earned money on these. I didn't get them for free and have put them thru there passes and despite what they think.What it looks like or works out on paper specification wise in the real world under use the truth is these are the best batteries I've ever owned and yet to have them turn off!
    Last edited by flatsboy; 08-14-2018 at 07:24 PM.
    Egret Moccasin 210 Mercury 225

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flatsboy View Post
    My Relion (3) 50 ah batteries in a 36 volt setup have been in service for just over 3 1/2 years of flawless service. I've used them with two different boat on with a Motor Guide XI5 and now with a Minnkota Ulterra I transferred them from the old boat to the new one. I have not been able to kill these batteries while fishing. I've used them offshore trolling at slow speeds holding in fast current under max load and still produced full power. I've also tested these batteries to see under max load with my Minnkota Ulterra on 10 how long they would last. I have the Victron gauge setup with a shunt to see the amp draw ah left and percentage of usage left in the batteries on every outing and to see how consistent they are over there service. I have not been able to kill them yet.
    So in a normal day of fishing i use about 20% to 30% of the battery. The most I've been able to draw them down is 60% and if they still have 40% power usage left. There isn't enough daylight to use them in a normal day of fishing under normal use. Also the recharge even faster and are always ready the next morning!
    I find it funny that people still think these batteries don't have the life and amp draw to last. I'm a real world tester that has spent there hard earned money on these. I didn't get them for free and have put them thru there passes and despite what they think.What it looks like or works out on paper specification wise in the real world under use the truth is these are the best batteries I've ever owned and yet to have them turn off!
    Well, under full power how long will they last? I mean, dont bash the guys that are asking the questions. We just want to make sure we dont spend 2k on batteries for them to die in about 5 hours thru a tourney day fishing in 20mph winds. All we have to go off of is what's on paper unless y'all guys share some real world test

19. Joe4d
    I think I will just use lead acid and fish with my 150lb wife,,,

20. Member
    I'm confused by you guys using such low rated aH batteries. Maybe I'm misunderstanding things.
    Iirc, minn kota says on 12v systems, whatever pound thrust is, the amp draw. With 24v system, it's about 85% of the draw. And 36v 75%.

So those with 36v systems using 50aH batteries, I assume they are at least 100# thrust, in theory if you ran your trolling motor at max, it's only good for roughly 40 mins, correct?

I don't know what a higher thrust TM feels like, I've only been using a 12v 55# system. I run my motor at 6-7 to maneuver.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast