Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Member
    I have a 2016 merc 200ProXS and lots of electronics. So the Relion 100 can be used for cranking too?

Quote Originally Posted by bgreig2 View Post
    I have a 2016 merc 200ProXS and lots of electronics. So the Relion 100 can be used for cranking too?
    No problem at all. The word on the street it is the older carb motors that crank and crank and crank are not good for lithiums.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    No problem at all. The word on the street it is the older carb motors that crank and crank and crank are not good for lithiums.
    Also was quoted by a Lithium battery sponsor.

What if a newer motor had a fouled plug or similar reason causing it to need being repeatedly cranked longer than normal?
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 08-30-2018 at 03:41 PM.

4. <B>BBC SPONSOR</B>

Correct the Relion Rb-100hp is the battery recommended.

5. <B>BBC SPONSOR</B>
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou r Pitcher View Post
    Also was quoted by a Lithium battery sponsor.

What if a newer motor had a fouled plug or similar reason causing it to need being repeatedly cranked longer than normal?
    An occasional occurrence will not harm the battery. It is the repetitive long starts that will damage the BMS .

6. Member
    What do you mean when you say" programmed just for the Battlehorn batteries."? Won't a regular 15amp charger work?

Quote Originally Posted by blkfalc4 View Post
    3 Battleborns total:

1 - 100Ah for motor/boat...pretty much everything except the Ultrex.

2 - 50Ah for 80# 24V Ultrex

All charged with a Dual Pro Professional 3 bank programmed just for the Battleborn batteries. Setup the charger to be remote to get it out of the boat as well.
    Couldn't find an extension cord long enough for on the lake.....

7. Member
    What do you mean when you say" programmed just for the Battlehorn batteries."? Won't a regular 15amp charger work?
    It would work I suppose, but don't think it will get them to 100% as the lithium setup has different requirements.

This is where I got the charger that's programmed for my BB lithiums. Also, got the extensions there to make my charger remote.

https://www.batterymart.com/p-ps3-li...m-charger.html
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB
    The word on the street it is the older carb motors that crank and crank and crank are not good for lithiums.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter689 View Post
    An occasional occurrence will not harm the battery. It is the repetitive long starts that will damage the (Lithium's) BMS .
    I know of no modern electronics circuit design that fits such a behavior. Either the electronic components such as those of a BMS can handle the stresses presented or they don't.

Your source?
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 09-02-2018 at 04:02 PM.

9. Banned
    Actually some systems are finicky. Take the older deep cycle batteries. The way they were made gave them great ability to be drawn down without having plates collapse but they were very prone to developing a "memory" if they were drawn down to a certain level repeatedly. The prevention was to totally deplete them every so often. Any old RC enthusiasts would recall those days.

10. Member
    DWayne,

You seem to have missed that Hunter's reported failure/weakness of the lithum batteries is in the all electronic components of its BMS....not due to the lithium cells or its chemical properties.

11. <B>BBC SPONSOR</B>
    I know of no modern electronics circuit design that fits such a behavior. Either the electronic components such as those of a BMS can handle the stresses presented or they don't.

Your source?
    From the lithium battery manufacturer. Several years ago they had a failure on a battery being used on one of the older motors with the BMS engaging and shutting off the power. Which led them to test for root cause. Through additional R&D they found out above information.

In this instance only the BMS was damaged and not the actual cells.

12. BBC SPONSOR
    The clamp on meters can be indeed accurate for measuring continuous direct current or proper RMS AC currents if setup and used properly. (The arrows on the sides of the clamp probe are for properly positioning of the wire before zeroing the unit. )

Minn Kota trolling motors though use neither continuous DC or RMS AC......they use a pulse DC method of controlling the speed of their motors.

The published draw of the 80 lb Terrova trolling motor shown in the video per Minn Kota is 56 amps'''' not close to the meter readings shown on the video.
    However, if the clamp on amp probe is clamped on the trolling motor input wires directly from the batteries. That would still give you the DC current draw of the different speeds the gentleman was cycling through in the video. What I'm trying to say it wouldn't really make a difference what the circuitry in the trolling motor was doing with the power. You would still get the DC current drawn directly from your batteries in the video shown, and know what the current draw at the given environmental conditions.

Maybe I misunderstood your post, but it seems to me you was saying you cannot get the correct dc amp draw the way the gentleman in the video shown. If he took the readings from the input wires going into the trolling motor he did it correctly.
    Last edited by Buck456; 09-03-2018 at 07:18 AM.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck456 View Post
    However, if the clamp on amp probe is clamped on the trolling motor input wires directly from the batteries. That would still give you the DC current draw of the different speeds the gentleman was cycling through in the video. What I'm trying to say it wouldn't really make a difference what the circuitry in the trolling motor was doing with the power. You would still get the DC current drawn directly from your batteries in the video shown, and know what the current draw at the given environmental conditions.

Maybe I misunderstood your post, but it seems to me you was saying you cannot get the correct dc amp draw the way the gentleman in the video shown. If he took the readings from the input wires going into the trolling motor he did it correctly.
    The MK uses a chopper circuit to control the speed...the chopped power to the motor is not from a regulated power supply with the ability to store energy from the battery. An oscilloscope shows the pulsed current draws from the battery.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 09-03-2018 at 04:53 PM.

14. Member
    Those amps would go up if the load was higher on the motor. Bog it down with grass or in a stiff wind and those amps would go up. That's the same with all electric motors that I've ever seen.

15. BBC SPONSOR
    The MK uses a chopper circuit to control the speed...the chopped power to the motor is not from a regulated power supply with the ability to store energy from the battery. An oscilloscope shows the pulsed current draws from the battery.
    I'm familiar with an oscilloscope. I still believe you can check current draw from the battery with a clamp on amp probe.
    It's also more common to be pulling less amps at top speed than the motors max amps. Readings he was getting doesn't seem out of line to me, but if in doubt call Minn kota.

16. Member
    3 Battleborns total:

1 - 100Ah for motor/boat...pretty much everything except the Ultrex.

2 - 50Ah for 80# 24V Ultrex

All charged with a Dual Pro Professional 3 bank programmed just for the Battleborn batteries. Setup the charger to be remote to get it out of the boat as well.
    Couldn't find an extension cord long enough for on the lake.....
    blkfalc4 - Just to be clear. The #2 batteries, quantity of 2 for the 24V 80lb Ultrex are 50Ah 24-volt batteries (with emphasis on them being 24V batteries)?

And also, isn't that 100Ah 24V battery you use for your motor/boat a deep cycle battery? If it's a deep cycle battery you can use it to crank your outboard motor?

Howard Harris
    Phoenix, Arizona 85048
    2019 20'9" Ranger Z520C
    250 Mercury V8 Pro XS Four-Stroke/Serial #:2B644590
    Minn Kota Ultrex 36V 112LB 45"
    LiveScope LVS34 Plus & Garmin 102SV (Bow)
    LiveScanner Motorized Pole/RyTek Marine Bracket/Garmin LVS34 Plus Xducer)
    Lowrance HDS 9 Live (Bow)
    Lowrance HDS 12 Live (Driver's Console)
    Precision Sonar Plates, Brackets, and Gimbals
    23P Mercury Fury-3 Blade
    Email: azhohar@centurylink.net

17. Member
    They are 2 -12V 50Ah lithiums from battleborn wired in a normal 24V series setup.

The Dual Pro is a 3 bank 12V PS3 charger.
    Mike

18. Member
    @blkfalc4: a couple of question.
    1) when you installed the 2 - 50A hr batteries, did they fit well in the existing battery trays or did you get new ones? Or could they both fit in one tray?
    2) I saw your earlier post, that the 50A hour is plenty for a 12 hour day. Is that heavy use?

Everyone or Anyone:
    I have the Dual Pro 3 bank battery charger, and I have heard that it can be "re-programmed" to charge lithiums. Has anyone done this here? If so, who did the "re-program"?
    2016 Ranger Z518
    Mercury 150 HP Fourstroke

19. Member
    They are 2 -12V 50Ah lithiums from battleborn wired in a normal 24V series setup.

The Dual Pro is a 3 bank 12V PS3 charger.
    Thanks blkfalc4!

Howard Harris
    Phoenix, Arizona 85048
    2019 20'9" Ranger Z520C
    250 Mercury V8 Pro XS Four-Stroke/Serial #:2B644590
    Minn Kota Ultrex 36V 112LB 45"
    LiveScope LVS34 Plus & Garmin 102SV (Bow)
    LiveScanner Motorized Pole/RyTek Marine Bracket/Garmin LVS34 Plus Xducer)
    Lowrance HDS 9 Live (Bow)
    Lowrance HDS 12 Live (Driver's Console)
    Precision Sonar Plates, Brackets, and Gimbals
    23P Mercury Fury-3 Blade
    Email: azhohar@centurylink.net

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badMackrel View Post
    @blkfalc4: a couple of question.
    1) when you installed the 2 - 50A hr batteries, did they fit well in the existing battery trays or did you get new ones? Or could they both fit in one tray?
    2) I saw your earlier post, that the 50A hour is plenty for a 12 hour day. Is that heavy use?

Everyone or Anyone:
    I have the Dual Pro 3 bank battery charger, and I have heard that it can be "re-programmed" to charge lithiums. Has anyone done this here? If so, who did the "re-program"?
    1. They both fit in one tray. The Battleborns use a vertical drilled post that I made a threaded rod from brass to make my series connection.
    2. I had to purchase a new Dual pro with lithium profile as my older one was not compatible. https://www.batterymart.com/p-ps3-li...m-charger.html

Mike

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast