Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Soon I am gonna go out on a limb and buy a single 24 volt 50ah battery for my 24v 80# thrust motor. I think I will be fine but, if I need more I will buy the other 24v 50ah battery and that will give me 100ah's. I seldom fish any entire day and more than not I fish for about 4 hours give or take an hour.

2. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Soon I am gonna go out on a limb and buy a single 24 volt 50ah battery for my 24v 80# thrust motor. I think I will be fine but, if I need more I will buy the other 24v 50ah battery and that will give me 100ah's.
    That may be a good way to test.

Lithium Ion cells come in different sizes. Per their manufacturers they will though provide shorter lives the more heavily their repeated discharges are. So two ran in parallel would be expected to provide more than twice as much power over their lives as just one assuming one cell did not fail early.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 08-15-2018 at 09:02 AM.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou r Pitcher View Post
    A 50 AH 12 volt battery combined in series with another 50 AH battery only provides up to 50AH at 24 voltts..... the AH don't add.

If you mix two different capacity batteries, you should only discharge such that the smaller one if at its discharge limit. So for example 50Ah and a 75AH series batteries should be allowed only to provide current until the smaller (50AH) battery is at its discharge limit.
    I dont think that's right. If he has a 24v 50ah battery and adds another 50ah 24v battery it should be 100ah. The situation you describe should be for 12v batteries hooked together to make 24v. So if I hook 3 12v 50ah batteries together to make 36v then in that situation it wont make more amp hours, just volts. I would then have a 50ah 36v set up. In k-dawgs case he should have a 100ah 24v set up with those 2 batteries if they are 24v batteries

4. Member
    Sorry, See my earlier already edited post as at 1st, missed the 24 volt mention.

Lithium cells do come in different sizes. With larger cell sizes used in a 100AH battery than in a 50AH battery then there would not be double the numbers of cells and much less necessary cell balancing duties of the BMA electronics.

As cells are already used in parallel within all lithium batteries and it only takes one cell failure to fail the battery, the parallel setup he may soon find he needs using smaller and more lithium cells needing frequent balancing seems to increase the risk of premature failure.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 08-15-2018 at 09:58 AM.

5. Member
    Sorry, See my earlier already edited post as at 1st, missed the 24 volt mention.

Lithium cells do come in different sizes. If a larger cell sizes are used in a 100AH battery than in a 50AH battery then there would not be double the numbers of cells and much less necessary cell balancing duties of the BMA electronics in the larger battery.

As cells are already used in parallel within all lithium batteries and it only takes one cell failure to fail the battery, the parallel setup he may need one day using smaller and more lithium cells seems to increase the risk of premature failure.
    I see. Theres 2 sides to that though. It may create more possibility for failure but with 2 batteries you still have the other battery to rely on. With one big one your sol unless you go buy 3 conventional ones. What you bring up is good food for thought though

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    Soon I am gonna go out on a limb and buy a single 24 volt 50ah battery for my 24v 80# thrust motor. I think I will be fine but, if I need more I will buy the other 24v 50ah battery and that will give me 100ah's. I seldom fish any entire day and more than not I fish for about 4 hours give or take an hour.
    In a 24 volt setup a single 50 ah will not be enough IMHO. Go with a bigger size at least 100.
    Egret Moccasin 210 Mercury 225

7. Member

Lithium cells do come in different sizes. With larger cell sizes used in a 100AH battery than in a 50AH battery then there would not be double the numbers of cells and much less necessary cell balancing duties of the BMA electronics.

As cells are already used in parallel within all lithium batteries and it only takes one cell failure to fail the battery, the parallel setup he may soon find he needs using smaller and more lithium cells needing frequent balancing seems to increase the risk of premature failure.
    Actually this is not true you can have a cell go bad or malfunction and the battery will still work. Also the cell or cells can be replaced Per Relion
    Egret Moccasin 210 Mercury 225

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flatsboy View Post
    Actually this is not true you can have a cell go bad or malfunction and the battery will still work.
    The point presented was that when a lithium battery has cell failures, it no longer meets its rated capacity and soon becomes unable to satisfy its needed application. The battery shuts down when its charge level drops sensing that it is about to become depleted.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flatsboy View Post
    In a 24 volt setup a single 50 ah will not be enough IMHO. Go with a bigger size at least 100.
    Not true...I run 2- 12v 50aH Battleborns for my 80# Ultrex...no problem what so ever...wind current etc...12hr days....recharged in approx 30-45mins everytime.
    Haven't done so yet, but I believe I could go 2 days before actually seeing anything.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

I cannot begin to understand the theory of although I’ve had a bunch of electrical type training over the years. I do know that I have used my 3x50ah batteries for long (10-12hrs) tournaments in heavy wind and in current. They have never failed. This on my 112 Fortrex. I do not have the “charge while you run” type charger.

My son fished everyone of his college tournaments with this setup. Not once did they come up short. He loves to be out in the wind, usually runs the TM above 80% and is always on the pedal. I thought sure he would drain them but did not.
    Last edited by 06 SB; 08-16-2018 at 12:57 PM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jphillips2546 View Post
    I have read pages and pages of reviews and post so wanted to do a thread on exactly this. What is the "just right" size for an Ultrex 36v TM for lithium batteries. I fish the conditions, sometimes fast, sometimes slow, wind or not. What size have you guys been running and have you ever ran out of juice?
    I've got a 24V Ultrex running off of 2 100amp Battleborns and I've never run out of juice. I've had a few days where I thought for sure I would but didn't. Probably the worst was on Sturgeon bay with 20+mph winds and 3 foot rollers. I know that the Ultrex was on 80 or spotlock for at least 5 hours. Not I was out 5 hours, the motor had my foot on the pedal at 80 or it was holding me in that wind on spotlock for at least 5 hours.

If I had a 36V Ultrex I'd be using 3 100amp Battleborns.

12. <B>BBC SPONSOR</B>
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    I cannot begin to understand the theory of although I’ve had a bunch of electrical type training over the years. I do know that I have used my 3x50ah batteries for long (10-12hrs) tournaments in heavy wind and in current. They have never failed. This on my 112 Fortrex. I do not have the “charge while you run” type charger.

My son fished everyone of his college tournaments with this setup. Not once did they come up short. He loves to be out in the wind, usually runs the TM above 80% and is always on the pedal. I thought sure he would drain them but did not.

Glad to hear these are working out great for you!!!!

Most of the guys i know that have 12v lithium’s, chose 80ah or 100ah

14. Kayak fishing most wanted ClaytonHaske's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blkfalc4 View Post
    Not true...I run 2- 12v 50aH Battleborns for my 80# Ultrex...no problem what so ever...wind current etc...12hr days....recharged in approx 30-45mins everytime.
    Haven't done so yet, but I believe I could go 2 days before actually seeing anything.
    do you run an additional battery for your electronics/accessories? also, what starting battery do you run? looking to upgrade to lithium, and would appreciate the info. thanks.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ClaytonHaske View Post
    do you run an additional battery for your electronics/accessories? also, what starting battery do you run? looking to upgrade to lithium, and would appreciate the info. thanks.
    3 Battleborns total:

1 - 100Ah for motor/boat...pretty much everything except the Ultrex.

2 - 50Ah for 80# 24V Ultrex

All charged with a Dual Pro Professional 3 bank programmed just for the Battleborn batteries. Setup the charger to be remote to get it out of the boat as well.
    Couldn't find an extension cord long enough for on the lake.....
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

16. Member
    Any suggestions for a lithium cranking battery for a 200hp merc that will also support lots of bass boat accessories, graphs, etc.?

17. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    ReLion RB-100 HP.... will handle any motor up to 250 plus all electronics and accessories....

Not a problem!

Roy

18. <B>BBC SPONSOR</B>
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarrow View Post
    ReLion RB-100 HP.... will handle any motor up to 250 plus all electronics and accessories....

Not a problem!

Roy

Not entirely true.
    This battery is not recommended on some earlier model motors.

19. <B>BBC SPONSOR</B>
    Quote Originally Posted by bgreig2 View Post
    Any suggestions for a lithium cranking battery for a 200hp merc that will also support lots of bass boat accessories, graphs, etc.?

Which make and model motor do you have?

20. Member
    I run a 112 ultrex on 3 of the k2 48ah batteries. I recently found the end of a charge on them.

I fished 8 hours on Friday and 7 hours on Saturday with them and they shut off on me late Saturday evening.

I was was way more than impressed with how long they lasted. I was in Venice Louisiana fishing against heavy current at every stop. The only time that I was off of the troller was to grab a bite, water, or run to the next stop. . When I’d break off or catch a fish I would spot lock to hold my position in the canal. So my troller was running most all day. I got back to the marina and plugged my charger in a they were charged within a couple of hours.

I’ve had 3 group 27 leads die on me in less than a day fishing Venice.
    SUSHII
    21XRS/SHO

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast