grass cut at mosquito lake

i am assuming they cut it down 4 ft or so,heard that is how they do it in florida.does it hurt the fishing or make it better,thank you very much.

2. Member
    The State wants to make Mosquito a walleye and perch lake. They removed over 4000 large bass about 8 years ago and now they will keep cutting the weeds down. Yes, it will not help the bassin.

As of the last 2 weeks it has been pumping out 18 to 19 lb bags to win tournaments and even took over 16 to get a check a couple weeks ago and 15lb to cash a check last week at the NOAA event. I would say it's doing very well

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eriedude View Post
    The State wants to make Mosquito a walleye and perch lake. They removed over 4000 large bass about 8 years ago and now they will keep cutting the weeds down. Yes, it will not help the bassin.
    Yeah when they did that the average tourney weight dropped to 10 pounds. Nice to see it coming back into it's own again.

5. Member
    Seen this rumor on here before, but fortunately its only a rumor. The state does not remove fish from a lake like that. I know that Director of Fisheries Mgt and asked him about this..."can't imagine that anyone would believe something like that" was his response.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flippin 416 View Post
    Yeah when they did that the average tourney weight dropped to 10 pounds. Nice to see it coming back into it's own again.
    2021 Falcon F20 Predator
    2021 Mercury 250 ProXS

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JLeon77 View Post
    Seen this rumor on here before, but fortunately its only a rumor. The state does not remove fish from a lake like that. I know that Director of Fisheries Mgt and asked him about this..."can't imagine that anyone would believe something like that" was his response.
    Well it's an undeniable fact that something happened there whether they moved fish or not because the tourney weights went wayyyyy down for several years.

7. Member
    I know people who watched them do it with a shock boat. Now maybe they were hallucinating I don't know but I do know the result.

8. Member
    This is the best inland lake in Ohio. Has been for the past 8-10 years. As of yesterday it was on fire.

9. Member
    I think it was 2011 when 3 lbers were at a premium. That's when I heard about the fish and grass removal in the fall of '10 . I fished a BASS Weekend series and big fish was 3.25. I had a 3.24 and a 3.11 and won on the co angler side with 7.70. The pro won with 10 something. I know it has bounced back and it is a very good lake.

All lakes go though up and down cycles. The fishing was better a few years back. Then it was mediocre for a couple years. Now, it’s coming back. The NOAA event last weekend shows what Mosquito can still crank out. I have one over 5 in practice and another lever 4. None of our local lakes have very good weed growth this year.
    Last edited by Jeff Hahn; 08-28-2018 at 10:10 PM.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

11. Banned
    If I counted right, at the BFL last weekend, the pro side had 58 five fish limits and the co side had 38 five fish limits. It took 16.15 to win and the big bass weighed 4.12... I say it has to be the top inland lake in Ohio... Dan
    Last edited by Dan21XRS; 08-21-2018 at 05:37 AM.

12. Member
    It definitely is a great lake. I never been there till the bfl and practiced only 1.5 days and caught plenty of fish just never found the right bites on Saturday but did have a limit and culled up throughout the day. The grass is healthy and grows out 5-6 ft. The lake fishes fairly big for it's size with the offshore areas and he extensive grass/pads population.

13. Member
    The state took out 4,000 big bass because they want to turn Mosquito into a walleye and perch lake. And the reason tournament weights are down is because of the state taking 4,000 big bass from the lake. That's some funny stuff right there.

It couldn't be because the lake has and is changing and not everyone has caught up. Couldn't be because maybe the weather on tournament day had something to do with below average weights. It's gotta be because the state did something. I hear the same thing from the walleye guys. The state did this, the state did that, or they haven't done this.

It's not the same lake it was 20 years ago, or 10 years ago, or 5 years ago. And cutting the weeds is not going to hurt the bass fishing, it's going to help it. Despite what some may believe, there is such a thing as too many weeds.

14. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    All lakes go though up and down cycles. The fishing boat was better a few years back. Then it was mediocre for a couple years. Now, it’s coming back. The NOAA event last weekend shows what Mosquito can still crank out. I have one over 5 in practice and another lever 4. None of our local lakes have very good weed growth this year.
    This,,

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

15. Banned
    Mosquito Lake sucks guys..........I'd fish somewhere else!..........

16. Member
    Hey the OP wanted to know if cutting the grass will hurt the fishing . We all know it is good now. We all know what it takes to win a derby there. If they cut a lot of grass there, which they do because they have a lot invested in walleye stocking, will it hurt the big bassin' somewhat? I think it may.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rbass57 View Post
    i am assuming they cut it down 4 ft or so,heard that is how they do it in florida.does it hurt the fishing or make it better,thank you very much.
    I think not! Look at the recent tourney results for the 'FACTS'. Will it change how we fish for them? Of course it will, but that's what we do with electronics, 27 fishing rods, and 100's of pounds in lures!-LOL We or someone finds the fish. BTW my opinion about the fish moving is this: That is simply not true. There is a very clear law that states you cannot move fish from one lake to another. Mostly due to the passing of diseases and such. If the state want to increase the population of a species they would stock fingerling or larger fish not move them. What may have been witnessed (you can go on youtube to see this) the state every spring shocks and takes walleye and take eggs and sperm and mix them at the ramp to use the water from the lake. Then take the eggs to the state fish hatchery.
    1999 Triton Tr-18
    1999 Johnson 150 (J150PLEE)
    Abu Garcia for life