Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trick worm vs floating worm on a Shaky Head

My go to bait this summer has been a Zoom trick worm on a tungsten shaky head. As a test I have been switching between a trick worm that sinks/lays on the bottom and an identical elaztech worm (floating) which stands up off of the bottom. After 4 days on the water of doing this I have caught over twice as many bass on the Zoom worm than I did on the worm that floats (stands up) on the bottom. I caught 5 bass over 5lbs on the Zoom worm and the largest on the elaztach was in the 3lb. It seems like a worm that floats and stands up off the bottom would get more bites but my results have shown the opposite. Thoughts?

2. Member
    Keep throwing the trick worm.
    Brandon
    1996 Ranger 362XT
    Johnson Faststrike 150

Quote Originally Posted by bschwoep View Post
    Keep throwing the trick worm.
    LOL, yep.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwasham View Post
    My go to bait this summer has been a Zoom trick worm on a tungsten shaky head. As a test I have been switching between a trick worm that sinks/lays on the bottom and an identical elaztech worm (floating) which stands up off of the bottom. After 4 days on the water of doing this I have caught over twice as many bass on the Zoom worm than I did on the worm that floats (stands up) on the bottom. I caught 5 bass over 5lbs on the Zoom worm and the largest on the elaztach was in the 3lb. It seems like a worm that floats and stands up off the bottom would get more bites but my results have shown the opposite. Thoughts?
    The curse of our past time right here. It could be that the trick worm really is more effective, because 4 days is a small sample size. It seems that a bait that stands up should catch more fish, that just makes sense! Still it's very, very had to go against what is working, and I have to agree with the other posts that say stick with the trick worm. I'd fish that because it is working.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hugo_stiglitz View Post
    The curse of our past time right here. It could be that the trick worm really is more effective, because 4 days is a small sample size. It seems that a bait that stands up should catch more fish, that just makes sense! Still it's very, very had to go against what is working, and I have to agree with the other posts that say stick with the trick worm. I'd fish that because it is working.
    Agreed, It is hard to get a true gauge on which one is better because I may have caught every fish that I put each worm in front of and just happened to put the trick worm in front of more fish. Curious if anyone has any opinions on if fish react differently to a worm standing up or just laying on the bottom. Each will probably shine more in certain situations but for me the trick worm has worked better. Also, the hookpoint comes out of the elaztech worm when I skip it under docks/cover and the Zoom does not.

6. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    If you are prey, I really don't think you want to stand up saying "here I am , here I am" do you ?
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

7. Banned
    Some zoom trick worms do float

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkyarcher View Post
    If you are prey, I really don't think you want to stand up saying "here I am , here I am" do you ?
    I read your post and considered it seriously. You make a lot of sense man, a lot of sense.

9. Member
    Either way they will both get bit. It moved. Either way the bass will suck it off the bottom, standing up or laying down.. T-rigged worms have been working for decades now, and they lay down. There are no miracle baits made yet guys.

10. Member
    My motto is I don't argue with success.

11. Member
    Don’t focus on the worm but the jig head. For big fish I use a 1/2 or 3/4 football head shakey head. It’s the jig head that dictates the bait action.

12. Member
    I really like the Big Bite Squirrel Tail with the hollow floating tail for shakey heads. Another is the Zoom Fork Tail preferably in Watermelon Candy.

13. Member
    I like the trick worm getting toward the dog days of summer.

14. Member
    I actually use both. One works better than the other on some days and on other days it doesn't matter. So, the answer is alternate between the two and let the fish decide.

15. Banned
    I have had sucess on the BB Squirrel Tail also in clear water when the bites are sloooooow. Always heard you can not do much with the dead/lay down worm anyway

16. Banned
    Maybe it's like how you get more bites on a Carolina rig, but get bigger bites with a jig on the same spot.

17. Member
    I think you are also focusing too much on how it looks on the bottom. A trick worm, especially on a light shaky head, has great action on fall. When they are really on that bite, the bait won't even hit the bottom. Bass like easy prey, and a falling trick worm probably looks like something dying to a fish. Something that looks like it's dying and then laying on the bottom afterwards is going to look more natural than a worm floating off the bottom.
    Brandon
    1996 Ranger 362XT
    Johnson Faststrike 150

I use trick worm 90% of the time but when the bite slows down I go to a Zoom swamp crawler. It's just a thin straight worm. I seem to get more bites on it on those real slow days.
    My favorite color is clear.

19. Member
    There are two types of Zoom trick worms, those with salt (sink) and those without salt (float). Both work good for me.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by waco oso View Post
    Some zoom trick worms do float
    ^^^^^....yes....a big reason I use them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast