Anyone dable with trim tabs?

Well sorry to keep posting about my stratos lean problem on here but I am determined to figure out a cure and make the ride more bareable and easier. I'm contemplating installing trim tabs either the hydraulic or automatic ones to see if that will finally help. We know that the boat leans left badly so was thinking if it would be appropriate to just add one automatic tab to the left side and see what happens? Have any of you tried this out?
    2018 Nitro Z21

I'm better than you
    http://www.facebook.com/vincent.hytry

2. Member
    If your lean is that bad, it’s a set up or prop issue. We all have a little Lean but it should not be horrible. Nothing should be to the point that you need trim tabs.

Prop wise I have a tried a 24p trophy plus, 24p tempest plus. Hole shot is not bad at all now unless both wells and gas tank is almost full. Rpms at wot are 5600 maybe 5700ish. Best way to get on plane is to turn boat to the right while throttle is down to get the lean side out of the water. I also moved in the talon brackets as far in possible to the point where they are just about touching the run rail so that they don't drag as much. The skeg was bent a bit and was able to bend it back to nearly perfect. I removed the entire engine from the boat and the factory holes are crooked from the factory by about .5 inch. I was afraid to redrill those holes that close to one another so figured that a self leveling trim tab might be best so that I wouldn't compromise the hull with new holes so close to each other.

Just a thought, but rather than experiment with trim tabs, could you take up the 1/2 offset in your transom holes by modifying the holes in your jack plate? It seems it would be a lot easier to take the jack plate off, weld (or take to be welded) the holes shut on one side, then redrill them so the outboard is level on your boat. I have actually had to move the holes in a jack plate once for a similar issue, and it was not a hard job at all. I suck at welding but got the job done easily enough, and it has lasted now for over 13 years and 2 different boats.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI

Well just talked to Bub at ranger boats since that is where all of the stratos calls go now and he told me for starters to move my 3 agm group 31s to the driver's side and take it for a ride to see how much it helped then go from there.

Well finished up that project and it looks great! Redid the whole bilge and cleaned it all up and hung all the wires in lumes and what not. So in total I moved about 250lbs to the driver's side to hopefully offset the terrible lean.

Finished the bilge area and moving the batteries to the driver's side and took her for a test drive and all I can say is wow I have a new boat!!! Thing rides soooooo much better now it's unbelievable!!! Still has a little lean but I can actually manuever at will and stay on plane at 22ish now without porpoising and I can turn left at higher speeds without the fear of causing damage to me or the boat. This is just outstanding!!! I may add self leveling trim tabs just for when the livewells are full and heavy tournament load purposes or rough water. Might as well try it just to see how much better I can make it!

8. Member
    When you install trim tabs post results. I have seen newer gambler Sterling boat with dual tabs and owner said it was rock solid even in rough water.

Will do! Think I'm going to order the Bennet self leveling 10" tabs just to see what happens.

My hole shot still kinda sucks due to the duel talons with the brackets dragging plus full livewells but it got much better!