Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Oil leak...took to dealer

I had suspected that my oil pump was leaking so I decided to take it to my local dealer. They called me and said it was the pump(looked like it was leaking from a weep hole) and gave me a couple options. I could replace with a new pump w/warranty or they could try to replace seal with no guarantees. There was about a $650 difference so I decided to tell them to try and replace the seal since there is nothing wrong with the pump. Next call I get is that supposedly my particular pump doesn’t even have a seal which I thought was strange. They told me that when they removed the pump that there was some hex bolts a little loose so they tightened the bolts and everything on & around the pump. So, is this true that some pumps have no seal? Will tightening the pump and lines stop the leak? I feel a little ripped paying someone to tighten some stuff up. Haven’t taken it out on the water yet but I feel like I may have to buy a new pump...maybe this is all a rant instead of a question.

225 proxs 1B935530

2. Member
    If it’s fixed then what’s the big deal? Go fishing and work a couple extra hours.
    2015 189 trx

3. Member
    All the oil pumps have a seal, but a replacement seal is not available from Mercury, so a Mercury dealer will not try to repair the oil pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    All the oil pumps have a seal, but a replacement seal is not available from Mercury, so a Mercury dealer will not try to repair the oil pump.
    Just have to go a little deeper than the cover, ace hardware has the correct size o-ring, can be replace without removing the pump. assuming it is the same as I have on my optimax
    Thank You Leon Pugh

5. Member
    My 2013 leaked, got it replaced under warranty, only way to go. Apparently your mechanic needs more training, and you are overpaying. I paid $125.00 for labor.
    2013 A211 250 Pro XS
    Bob"s 10" Action Series Hydraulic Jack Plate
    2-8' Power Poles

6. Member
    I am concerned about the responses you have received from this service center.

7. Member
    Me to...I don’t know if it’s fixed yet but I feel like nothing was done.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There is definitely an o-ring in the end of the pump (and seven more inside it). Replacements are not available from Mercury- the book repair method is to replace the pump.

Call me a bit skeptical- but I don't subscribe to the "replace with a generic o-ring" method. Simply not willing to accept that the liability involved for one o-ring.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    There is definitely an o-ring in the end of the pump (and seven more inside it). Replacements are not available from Mercury- the book repair method is to replace the pump.

Call me a bit skeptical- but I don't subscribe to the "replace with a generic o-ring" method. Simply not willing to accept that the liability involved for one o-ring.

In your place I would stick to OE as well, I am willing to take that risk as I do keep a close eye on things. A business can not
    The other O-rings you speak I would never take a risk on them. A leak I can handle not a total failure not so much
    Last edited by lpugh; 08-14-2018 at 08:39 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The one thing I've really pondered here is that, the seven INTERNAL o-rings are of a similar makeup to the end-cap o-ring.

Hypothetically speaking: If the end-cap o-ring is leaking and compromised, what are the odds that one or more of the other SEVEN (which cannot leak "externally") are also compromised?

Just one of those things I ponder sometimes....

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    The one thing I've really pondered here is that, the seven INTERNAL o-rings are of a similar makeup to the end-cap o-ring.

Hypothetically speaking: If the end-cap o-ring is leaking and compromised, what are the odds that one or more of the other SEVEN (which cannot leak "externally") are also compromised?

Just one of those things I ponder sometimes....
    I wonder if the O-Ring leakage issues could be causes by using non DFI oil? I know for fact many European cars will develop leaks when using the incorrect oils as their seals will shrink with many oils on the market

Don or anybody that actually knows the answer: I have another question of interest to me: When the engine mounted oil tank is no longer filling due to no pressure from the reserve tank it would seem to that some loss of pressure may result in lower oil pump output since it would be dependent on gravity flow. Your thoughts...……..I have heard many say just run it for the and be sure you don't run out, Fix it when off the water
    Thank You Leon Pugh

12. Member
    Oil Pump output doesn't change when oil is only present in the Reserve oil tank.

Thanks Savage, Just was not sure if it would be safe
    Thank You Leon Pugh

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    I wonder if the O-Ring leakage issues could be causes by using non DFI oil? I know for fact many European cars will develop leaks when using the incorrect oils as their seals will shrink with many oils on the market

Don or anybody that actually knows the answer: I have another question of interest to me: When the engine mounted oil tank is no longer filling due to no pressure from the reserve tank it would seem to that some loss of pressure may result in lower oil pump output since it would be dependent on gravity flow. Your thoughts...……..I have heard many say just run it for the and be sure you don't run out, Fix it when off the water
    mine is leaking. A 2009. It has only ever seen Premium Plus and then DFI once it was available. I have pondered if the switch DFI caused it or has a different property that makes older pumps like mine leak.

Given the cost of the repair and how common it seems to be, it’s very disappointing. There clearly is a flaw somewhere in the design or in the manufacturing of the part as I’ve always had my motor serviced as recommended - and only 230 hours. There seems to be nothing a customer can do but play the odds. I get that things happen, but this seems way to common and subtle leaks like mine probably go undetected. Sorry, rant over. Just stinks with a family to shell out $700 to keep them on the water.

15. Member
    Hundreds of thousands oil pumps working flawlessly, you only hear about the small percentage of failue....Nobody complains about their oil pump working.
    Pump is 9 years old.......
    Oil type doesn't matter....
    The new replacement pump will help your motor live longer.
    Last edited by Savage; 08-16-2018 at 08:00 AM.

16. Member
    A little update as I suspected the oil leaked is not fixed. After talking to a few locals about the dealership they say there is only one mechanic at the location that they trust and he did not work on my engine. So, I’m thinking that since I may have to buy a new pump that I am considering trying to replace the end seal myself. I’ve read a few posts where guys have had success doing this and if anyone has any tips about this would be greatly appreciated. I figure if it doesn’t work then I could just get the pump replaced. I figure it’s worth a shot to try unless someone convinces me that my thought process is wrong in doing this.?

17. Member
    The o-ring that is an issue is easy to replace. It almost appears that Mercury picked a thickness (diameter of the rubber part) that is marginal and doesn't quite seal the gap between the pump body and the plate you see when looking at it (held on by allen screws). The good news is that if you replace the o-ring and it either continues to leak, or else fails later, the chances of hurting anything are not very high. This is not a high pressure system like the fuel pump. Whether you try the o-ring replacement or replace the whole pump is up to you. The latter is certainly safer, but not much safer since the risk is low. Replacing that o-ring is not very likely to result in a total pump failure. I helped a friend do this 2-3 years ago. We removed the pump, took it to a place in Homewood that sells a zillion kinds of o-rings. He brought out several to try and we picked one that provided a good seal that we could feel, as it compressed a little when tightening the cover back on. It has run flawlessly since, and has not started leaking again.

Only tricky thing is to pick a good fit. These things are made from materials that range from very soft to very hard. Too hard and it might not seal all the way around since the gaps between the screws that retain the cover plate are pretty large. Guy at the o-ring supply house had a gadget to measure the hardness and we stayed close to original. Went slightly thicker to make sure it would seal and not drip. But a little extra thickness is all you need, not something twice as big.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

18. Member
    Good points. I appreciate it

19. Member
    Unless you know how to choose the correct O-ring material (Viton, Buna-N, etc.) and the correct durometer (75, 90,etc.) then should replace the oil pump. Guessing is not good enough when it comes to O-ring selection.

20. Member
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast