Johnson 150hp Fuel Issue

Johnson 150hp 2001
    Model: J150PLSIF

Heres what has been done:
    New plastic carb bowls
    New rebuilt carb kit
    New jets

Issue:
    Started out not idling. Would have to constantly choke it to get it to run and to get it to plane out. Took to marina to get it fixed. Idles great now but still have to hit the choke when shifting into drive. Wants to die out when giving giving it gas. This seems to me it’s a fuel issue. Marina thinks it’s a electrical issue. Runs great once u choke it when throttling up. It like pauses and then dies when throttling up but if u choke it when it does this it runs fine. Marina is unsure what is causing this. Past owner had a new vro pump installed. One thing I noticed the bulb goes flat. Does not hold prime like it should. However this does not seem to affect it idling just when I try to throttle up I notice that pumping the bulb has helped sometimes. Ideas? This is a new boat so don’t know the full history of the motor. Runs great once i choke it. Does 58 mph on gps on a 2000 Javelin 19 Renegade.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Are you getting any LED's on your system check tach/gauge? Has the timing been checked using a ignition analyzer? Has a sync n link been out. performed? With the bulb going flat th.e anti-siphon valve may be stuck/sticking, you may want to knock the ball/spring out of the fitting.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Are you getting any LED's on your system check tach/gauge? Has the timing been checked using a ignition analyzer? Has a sync n link been out. performed? With the bulb going flat th.e anti-siphon valve may be stuck/sticking, you may want to knock the ball/spring out of the fitting.
    Yes it does a system check when the key is turned on. No LED’s are staying lit. I know the marina has messed with the timing and syncing the system but whether it was with the proper equipment and process I can’t verify that. I will try getting a new bulb to see if that will fix it going flat.

Could an exhaust leak inside of the cowl/outboard cause this symptom of starving for gas when throttling up the motor? I spoke to the previous owners marnina and they said it had a bad gasket for the exhaust and the diaphragm for the vro pump is leaking. Causing oil to sometimes pool up and to smoke badly. Think I’m explaining this correctly.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    One way to check for that is to run it with the cowl on and if it messes up then run it with the cowl off and see if it goes away. If the diaphragm was leaking, it would be happening all the time. Did the previous owners marina replaced the adapter gasket.

5. Member
    Got it running really good now on lake but when power loading boat onto trailer I have to press in choke if not it dies. Some one told me to remove the back draft nozzles on the carbs and it may help with this. Not sure where they are located?

6. Member
    Dock talk, forget it.

Adjust the idle air orifices on the carbs to 6 turns out, I like the idle rpm to be around 800, in the water boat unrestrained and in forward gear. This should help with the trailer thing.

7. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 316jughead View Post
    Dock talk, forget it.

Adjust the idle air orifices on the carbs to 6 turns out, I like the idle rpm to be around 800, in the water boat unrestrained and in forward gear. This should help with the trailer thing.
    Trailer thing?? I know we banned the "C" word on here, but surely we're still allowed to say traileritis!
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by headhigh View Post
    Trailer thing?? I know we banned the "C" word on here, but surely we're still allowed to say traileritis!
    Couldn't spell it

9. Member
    Ok I will try what you recommend, but to satisfy my courodisty would you explain where the backdraft nozzle is?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4Brian View Post
    Ok I will try what you recommend, but to satisfy my courodisty would you explain where the backdraft nozzle is?

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4Brian View Post
    I have no clue what you are talking about.

12. Member
    Had a tech at a well known marina told me to do this. From the reaction from you guys and what research I’ve done there is no such thing on this outboard. Makes me pissed someone would make up stuff to avoid helping someone.

13. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    NO Back Draft Nozzles
    Last edited by omcforever; 08-18-2018 at 03:50 PM.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!