Water in Transom?

I drilled 2 holes to mount my transducer, and after drilling the holes a tiny bit of water started dripping out. I wouldn't even call it dripping, it was like 5 or 6 drops. Where could it be coming from?

Is this a concern? I applied masking tape to the boat before drilling to prevent cracks/damage.

2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

2. Member

USA

The ransoms are not wood, so no rotting problems, I would call a dealer or the factory. I don't know why water would be there, unless there is a gap between the transom material and the outer glass and water is in there. Good Luck.

3. Member
    O no the dreaded waterlogged transom. Good luck with that.
    2015 189 trx

4. Member
    It means you need to check all the openings in the transit and reseal them

I wouldn’t call it waterlogged, as mentioned above it’s 100% fiberglass. I guess I’ll check all penetrations and reseal if necessary. Roadrunner I’ll check to see if there’s a gap between the actual transom and outer fiberglass, I’m hoping there is.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

May even check your the bolt holes in the transom for the jackplate....just because wood is not present doesn’t mean you can’t have water intrusion...
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

7. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Have seen this on a few brands when installing transducer ,more like condensation inside the fiberglass.Looks like since the materials used today do not absorb like wood use to it just hangs around. Don’t really know the answer but have seen it before.

8. Member
    Never liked drilling holes into the hull of my boat but guess you didn’t have another mounting option? I would check everything and don’t forget to silicone the two new holes.

9. Member
    Use 3M 5200 and not just regular old silicone. I agree with the holes in hull below the waterline. I would have been more opt to look into a jack plate mount if that was an option.

I could have mounted the TotalScan to my jackplate, but I saw multiple threads of guys, even dealers, mounting it to the hull below the jackplate. And my LSS2 was mounted to the jackplate and my returns weren't all that great. Riverrat I was already planning on using the 3M 5200.

I'm not extremely concerned about it, but still think it's odd that water came from the holes. I haven't had a chance to do much investigating, but gonna try to look into it more this week. Like I said, there was only about 5 or 6 drips - but the fact that water came out is still somewhat eye opening. I'll post an update.

Thanks for all the help/opinions.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO