Spinner Bait advice

I am trying to improve my confidence with a spinnerbait. Most of the books and articles I have read suggest that spinnerbaits are best in cloud cover or lower light conditions and some wind. I mainly fish the catawba and yadkin river/lakes. What clues should I look for that would show that it is a good time/place to throw a spinnerbait on these lakes?

When the water is dirty or when the wind is blowing.

3. Member
    If the wind is blowing in clear water,use a willow leaf silver blade in a Shad color. Dirty water,with or without wind,use a thumping blade,like a Colorado or Indiana blade. I like gold blades n dirty water but some guys use painted blades in white, chartreuse,orange or red. For the skirt,I like white with gold flake or some combination of chartreuse but some use dark colors like black,black-chartreuse or red- black. I doubt the skirt color matters much in muddy water,they are striking at the thump and movement.

4. Scraps
    If it's flat calm, no spinnerbait. I've been experimenting with heavier, say 1/2oz, baits when for 20 yrs my go to was a 3/8oz. I think it's easier to fish the 1/2oz cuzz it stays down and in the strike zone longer despite how fast I wanna reel it in.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    When the water is dirty or when the wind is blowing.
    This...

6. Member
    If there is grass, a spinner bait will work any time.

spinner bait is a confidence bait (like a jig) that work in every situation and any lake in the nation ...... altho so time better than others! I've can truly say some form of spinner bait has accounted for at less 60% of the bass I've caught since 1978.
    my advise is experiment blade size and type. keep it simple. find a weight that you can fish in your area of lakes. colors that work then utilize different size blades to make it effective the conditions you have that day.(clear the water the smaller and faster you want the bait to travel } my all round weight starts out as 1/2. most Yadkin lakes double willow gold and chrome blades. muddy water change from willow to Indiana and muddier go with Colorado the size will be predicted by the clarity & temperature of water and the depth you need to have the bait run " above" you bass. another tip is you will have 50% more strikes when you use a trailer. there again experiment on how the trailer effect the bait and what the fish want that day. alright ..there yall go any more and I will have to shoot all of yall
    Last edited by Frank A; 08-14-2018 at 08:38 PM.

2006 RANGER 519VX
    200HP MERCURY OPTI-MAX
    Sole member of " THE FISHERMEN FOR LIFE" a fisherman that knows one can make the difference!!

8. Member
    Frank A is as good a spinnerbait fisherman as I have ever been in the boat with or fished with.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank A View Post
    spinner bait is a confidence bait (like a jig) that work in every situation and any lake in the nation ...... altho so time better than others! I've can truly say some form of spinner bait has accounted for at less 60% of the bass I've caught since 1978.
    my advise is experiment blade size and type. keep it simple. find a weight that you can fish in your area of lakes. colors that work
    ^^ This.
    I love chucking spinner baits, always get great strikes!...Black and orange work well on my local lake...work in all conditions for me...even in the dark! I like the control I have over depth and speed and cover a lot of water. Always use a trailer hook.

10. Member
    Two years ago in a Wylie Thursday nighter i had a friend with me who does not fish much, its July and HOT with bright blue sky and no wind at blast off at 6.30pm. Water is clear. I head down lake to a point looking to throw a spook at some small schoolin fish. My partner had a big ugly chart spinner bait with colorado blades tied on. He makes a long cast almost to the bank and says i got one. I was thinking stick ? Nope it was a 6.5lber. Only fish he caught all night and we won with around 11lbs. I learned that day that u never know when they want a spinner bait. Lol
    I don't always find schooling fish but when I do I backlash on the first cast

A multi bladed spinnerbait with clear,glimmer skirt fished fast across points in the clear water at Norman will get your arm broke
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rb View Post
    A multi bladed spinnerbait with clear,glimmer skirt fished fast across points in the clear water at Norman will get your arm broke
    Your killing me buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Your killing me buddy.

I'll post which ones next
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southfork View Post
    Two years ago in a Wylie Thursday nighter i had a friend with me who does not fish much, its July and HOT with bright blue sky and no wind at blast off at 6.30pm. Water is clear. I head down lake to a point looking to throw a spook at some small schoolin fish. My partner had a big ugly chart spinner bait with colorado blades tied on. He makes a long cast almost to the bank and says i got one. I was thinking stick ? Nope it was a 6.5lber. Only fish he caught all night and we won with around 11lbs. I learned that day that u never know when they want a spinner bait. Lol
    Had the same thing happen to me. Handed my girlfriend a spinner bait and she caught a 3lb by casting out into the middle of the creek. The only time I have really busted em up on a spinner was in the early hours at Kerr on points. I usually have one on deck and throw it in between docks when I am flipping a series of docks or laydowns but rarely get bit doing that. My uncle told me to go out with just a spinnerbait tied on...

15. Banned
    Like any other lure. Color, size, blade count and type, retrieve speed all play a role. You and your co could both be throwing a 3/8oz white/chart double willow spinnerbait, only the co's has something just barely slightly different. Maybe one of the willows is slightly bigger or smaller. He's smokin em and you can't get bit.

Luck of the draw from the ole tackle box, really.

size of the blade will make it run higher or deeper in the water just as the weight and even line size and speed of retrieve. all make the spinner bait a very adaptable tool.

2006 RANGER 519VX
    200HP MERCURY OPTI-MAX
    Sole member of " THE FISHERMEN FOR LIFE" a fisherman that knows one can make the difference!!

17. Member
    Go back and look through past episodes of Let's Talk Fish (letstalkfish.com) and find the one with David Williams (NC FLW) pro. He provided the easiest to understand explanations I had ever heard.