Heading to Cumberland (upper end)

My son and I are going on an adventure together and it's been a long time coming. Not asking for anyone's hotspots but any info on the upper end of Cumberland would be awesome. Leaving this Saturday and staying for a couple days. I've been told to stop by Burnside Bait and Tackle so will try and do this too.
    Thank you

2. Member
    I had been doing well almost exclusively on largemouth on upper end- night fishing mainly , fishing around bait— if u see a bunch of bait on th surface—and u will- fish around said areas— jigs and 10 inch worms were working, but the bottom kinda fell out a couple weeks ago , now catching a lot of spots— at least at night, I think most better fishing is down lake, probably below fall creek

3. Member
    I agree totally with what HH45cal said. It's definitley better down lake. Be prepared to night fish & don't be afraid to get deep.

4. Member
    Thank you much....do you know what depth the thermocline is by chance?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Always want to be Fishing View Post
    Thank you much....do you know what depth the thermocline is by chance?
    Cumberland is so clear in some areas does it even get a thermocline.

The only time I have done well on Cumberland is up fishing creek. Granted I only go a few times a year and its always in the dead of summer. Ive always been told to fish at night but I just don't have that option.

6. Member
    ^^^ That's what I do, where the water gets some color. Same at Laurel River Lake, way up the feeder river. I suck at super clear water fishing lol I just gave up.

7. Member
    Had a fishing friend back in Oregon who's saying was....Why fish at night and ruin two good days!!!

8. Member
    If u daytime fish- drop shot or shakey head in the flooded trees— deep edge , better if u can find bait. Topwater should start getting good as well, jigging spring on etc

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeKz View Post
    ^^^ That's what I do, where the water gets some color. Same at Laurel River Lake, way up the feeder river. I suck at super clear water fishing lol I just gave up.
    hahahahaha same here. Deep clear water kicks my butt.

10. Banned
    What's everyone's opinion for the best ramp to use for fishing? I've only been on Cumberland once I always fished in Tn growing up and never really wanted to go anywhere else until now.

Burnside Island is a good ramp on the upper end.
    2021 Ranger Z519 Mercury 225 Pro XS Four Stroke

12. Banned
    Is the upper end better for fishing? I've only fished the lake once and I put in at Conley Bottom.

13. Member
    Actually conley bottoms & on down towards the dam are usually way better then the upper end this time of year.

14. Member
    Just got back and I want to thank you all for your input....my son and I had a great weekend and you were all right...the farther down we went the better. Caught a ton of spots and a few nice smallies. Did not do any night stuff but then weather was awesome.
    Thank you all again.

15. Member
    Just got back and I want to thank you all for your input....my son and I had a great weekend and you were all right...the farther down we went the better. Caught a ton of spots and a few nice smallies. Did not do any night stuff but then weather was awesome.
    Thank you all again.
    Okay then you gotta help me out. How exactly did you all catch a bunch of spots and smallies in the middle of summer? Cumberland has been kicking my butt for years and I also cant night fish. I also am down there in the middle of summer.

16. Member
    Thank you all again.
    Glad you guys had a good trip.