Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Towing with a Z520

The family wanted to try tubing today so we sent out. I already know I need to get something to get the rope up. I have an 08 Z520. Can I get a ski pole for it? Should I or would one of the to balls be better?

Also to keep her at bout 20mph or less the bow was still up pretty high (these things want to run as you know). Any suggestions on keeping the bow down? I kept the trim all the way down and tried adjusting the jack plate but did not seem to make much difference. Is it prop? Weight? etc..

You need a lower pitch 4 or even 5 blade prop. Time for a reata?

3. Member
    I know .. just hard to give up the best fishing platform on the planet. I have a spare 5 blade that I used to carry around for my previous Ranger with a yamaha 225 on it. I wonder if I can get that set up to run on my 250 Rude? There was talk about a second boat last night so that means B reak O ut A nother T housand X2 = BoatX2.

I'd try that 5 blade if you can get a hub kit to make it fit.

5. Member
    I will have to see if I can find a hub kit for it or get a demo prop from a dealer.

Does anyone know if I can put a ski pole in the rear seat post hole?

6. Member
    You can,I think Ranger used to make a pole kit with two braces down to the corners but you had to install a bracket for the braces to fit. You could try a lower pitch four blade as suggested and/ or install a fin. There’s a guy on here that makes a very attractive and functional one. You could also add weight to the front,such as sand bags in the front storage.

7. Member
    I got home... climbed up to the top shelf to discover my 5 blade lost a blade and is now a 4 blade 25 p trophy. I think the 5 went with the previous rig.

8. Member
    Ok so i am going to try one of the balls for pulling a tube. Any advive on prop if i can find a used one... brand pitch #blades. I have been told from a prop shop th hat this furry would not do what i am looking for. He indicated a 21 p 4 blade but no brand.

9. Member
    Anyone Put a Turbo Swing on their boat? I am prepping for a vacation and this may be a good option for us to have some water fun and fish while we are there.

To add a "Ski Pole" you need to have an additional hole behind the seat post hole and a bracket that mounts in the bilge. All can be gotten from Ranger, but then you get to do the mounting, lol !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

11. Member
    So with these two seaters, where does everyone sit? Two girls and the wife ...just thinking about this summer’s set up.

12. Member
    I called Ranger - they had nothing for me. I think the newer ones come with the capability. I have an 08 and I don't think they re-enforced the seat post hole. I could be wrong or talked to the wrong person. That said I have looked at a lot of posts similar to this and see someone keeps posting "Turbo Swing" I like the concept but looking for anyone who has used one on their bass rig? Was it installed on the jack plate? Did it work well?

13. Member
    I have a full Bench.. one can sit on the step as a spotter.

14. Member
    I pulled kids on an inner tube twice last year using my Z21.

The inflatable football shaped ball placed between the boat and tube kept the rope off the water's surface and worked very well. I would go that route rather than a ski pylon. Rope was a "Y" shape and was tethered into the transom tie downs.

I had installed a Bailey's foil on my boat so I did not need to re-prop by rig. I use a 25P tempest plus and had no issues getting or staying on pad at slow speeds.

One tip I can give is buy a 12V inflatable pump and keep with you while on the water. Inflate the ball and tube when you get to your destination as they are a PIA to store if inflated before hand. Also I found that I had to add some more air to the tube and ball later on in the day to keep fully pressured.

I bought all the items off Amazon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by capt1fish; 05-07-2019 at 05:03 PM.

15. Scraps
    I've done this the last three summers. I was thinking a four blade would be better to use than the three blade I have, and the pylon on the back deck instead of just hooking the tow rope to the transom tie downs would work better. Issue with the tie downs is that the rope catches on your wake when turning and then whips the tube if you're not careful when the rope clears. I priced the pylon and seem to think it was around $300.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

16. Banned
    Worst thing I ever did was succumb to the family boat theory....just make due or buy an extra boat....

17. Member
    Well my kids are only young once so i see it as an investment in family time. We will buy a bow rider soon for around here but that does not fix vacations when we want to do it all. Has anyone put a Turboswing on? I certainly cant be the first to try it

18. Member
    Has anybody used a transom harness that clips to the transom hooks to pull tubers and has Power Poles also? Does the base/bracket of the PP get in the way?

19. Member
    I have used a harness it works but your rope will be in the water while towing. I then bought one of those inflating balls and that works great for tubing (only tubing). You can not use it for sking or boarding it will throw the rider too much. That gets you back to the rope in the water. What I am looking to put on is one of these https://turboswing.com/. I am curious if anyone has had one on their Bass boat? and on a jack plate. I did come across this afternoon a 17 post with a reata that had one. https://www.walleyecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=621017

They are expensive but Overtons has them and they are running a 25% marine deal right now. I have to buy the big one so it is very expensive - only money right :)

Anyone else use a turbo swing?

20. Member
    Thought I would update you all on my experience - maybe it will help others. I ended up buying the Giant Turbo Swing from Gander Outdoors they were running a %30 off deal. Install was easy (although drilling through the jack plate took some time that is very hard metal.) I also went to a 25P Bravo LT 4 blade. This setup worked very well for me. I may have been better off with a 23P for a little more hole shot when full of fuel.

My experience: the Turbo swing does well at keeping the rope up especially for board and ski's. The Tube however still drug just a little at slower speeds but not bad. We had the tow ball anyway so we just kept using that at the same time. Tubes just pull the rope down naturally.

I only wish that I had electric assist steering and the ability to switch from hot foot to hand throttle (and a adjustable seat for the wife).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast