Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

buying a boat but noticed these.

before making the 9 hour car ride to the US from Canada, i had the guy selling the 191 take pics of the splash well and noticed these cracks.

Should I walk, run, or are these minor? Both sides of the engine are included. cracking coming from around the gas filler tube, but the one that concerns me is the crack coming from the rubber boot on the starboard side. the guy claims he had the motor checked and reg service performed and the tech claims the transom is solid. Seller also claims to have replaced cable steering with hydrolic, but dont see the hydrolic lines in those photos. Also noticed there doesn't seem to be a transom saver. he did send me a video with the boat in the water running it, but it's unclear as to whether he's got hydrolic steering.

since you guys rock and are far more knowledgeable than i am, i wanted your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

I know the Rite Hite jackplate is horrible. I've read some post here about it, and I'll be replacing with a pro hi jacker manual jackplate.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RickCamilleri; 08-12-2018 at 11:12 PM. Reason: added even more info
    1995 Champion 190 dcx Elite

2. Banned
    I'd be more worried about that gap I see between the transom and the transom cover plate. first pic, lower left corner right below where the steering cables go into the transom. Those are a lot of stress cracks, but Champs have those and they put such thick gel coat on and clear coat, I would be less worried about that.

3. Member
    i see it. looks like a missing screw? simple as that?

The cracking spidering out from the gas filler i can see as being relatively minor. that's a very long crack going from the fuel line cover up over the back.

4. Banned
    I see the missing screw, but it looks like just below that in the pic is a gap where water can come in. Maybe the angle but it looks like a slight gap. Just me. Maybe my eyes.

5. Banned
    I know what I’d do, but I am fairly picky with what I spend my money on. Think about this for a second. If that screw is missing, what’s keeping water from going into that hole, right into the wooden transom??? If the head is broken off that screw, what caused it to break???

How bad do you want this boat? Enough to possibly spend several thousand repairing a possibly bad transom.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    I know what I’d do, but I am fairly picky with what I spend my money on. Think about this for a second. If that screw is missing, what’s keeping water from going into that hole, right into the wooden transom??? If the head is broken off that screw, what caused it to break???

How bad do you want this boat? Enough to possibly spend several thousand repairing a possibly bad transom.
    not bad enough to have the transom shot!

Stupid question, but wouldn't the transom be encapsulated with fiberglass at that corner?

point taken though

I see some discoloration in the splash well looks like it's coming from the transom plate bolt in the first picture that would make me weary it's taking water there.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RickCamilleri View Post
    not bad enough to have the transom shot!

Stupid question, but wouldn't the transom be encapsulated with fiberglass at that corner?

point taken though
    Screw hole runs down into the wood core. I promise that if it’s missing and not sealed up, that waters getting in. Sometimes it takes a lesson in life to remind us that we tend to overlook the obvious things.

In my opinion, those cracks are more than regular stress cracks; but I’m not there in person to inspect it.

9. Member
    If you get it you might want to get that Rite Hite jackplate replaced.

10. Banned
    Is it the same boat that's referenced in the "97 191" thread at that the bottom of the page?

11. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    If you're serious about the boat, I'd for sure try to find someone local to it to look at it and give you the low down on some of the comments above. I'd try to find out where he's had the motor serviced and talk to the tech there about what's been done and when. The missing hydraulic hoses for the steering are the two hoses zip tied together coming out of the rubber boot.

12. Member
    what are the 2 bolts in the splash well

13. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Don't know. Probably something that someone added in the tank compartment

14. Member
    I later realised those were the hydraulic hoses. My bad. I've decided against the boat from the transom cracks and little blobs of silicone sealant + the gap at the corner of the transom plate. The seller said the mechanic who worked on the engine said the engine and transom are solid, but is away on vacation currently.

I also noticed bubbling under either the gel coat or fiberglass. Research tells me it's either air or water causing that. 9 hours is too long to drive for this imo.

The search continues. I might even hold off the search u til I can get a buddy to go look art boats with me, and that wint be until fall. I'm feeling a bit deflated bit better deflated that biting a potentially broken boat.

Thanks all

15. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Probably a wise decision

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    Probably a wise decision

Agreed, because here’s what would have happened. You would have drove all that way and then felt like you needed to buy the boat; because you just drove 9 hours. Those are not typical get coat cracks.

17. Banned
    Good call. Look at the boat Grout Scout just sold. It was immaculate. You just have to wait for the right one.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Agreed, because here’s what would have happened. You would have drove all that way and then felt like you needed to buy the boat; because you just drove 9 hours. Those are not typical get coat cracks.
    Not always....I drove my whole fam to Houston a few years back. 105 degree. A.c. not working that great on my truck. Went to look at a P2 that was allegedly really nice. The pics the guy sent looked good. Met up w the guy at a gas station. Got out of the truck for 2 mins and were back on the road headed home. Total POS...Im sure the seller thought the same thing...that after a 9 hour drive I would buy it. No chance...

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    Nope looks like its structure to me not simple spider cracks.
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BOW4UM View Post
    Nope looks like its structure to me not simple spider cracks.
    Thought so too. I've passed on the boat. The search continues

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast