Thread: Armadillos

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince F View Post

Build a trap like this. The first one you catch will be the most difficult. You want to get the smell of armadillo in the trap, then the rest will be easier. My mom had caught 19 in her trap like this one.

I like that! Damned if I can get one in my live trap just positioning it where I know they've traveled.

You have to "channel" them into walking in to a trap.

"ain't too smart.....but I'm always thinkin"

2. Banned
    I've seen them on the side of I-24 just outside of Chattanooga so it won't be much longer for us. I'm ready when they do show up and the neighbors are none the wiser.

Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

That ought ta let the air out of em

"ain't too smart.....but I'm always thinkin"

4. Member
    go buy a really big jar of cayenne pepper and sprinkle it where they are traveling onto your property. also around any porches and holes. It'll get rid of them for about 6 months, then just do it again. My neighbor and I share this and when the Armadillos do show up, about 10 minutes spreading the pepper takes care of them.

Quote Originally Posted by 12poundbass View Post
    ^^^^^this! Watched a show where a kid got it from an armadillo and it damn near killed him and he's all messed up now because of those damn things.
    I saw the same documentary. The one where the teenager kicked a dead armadillo and got Faust a drop of blood on his shoe, wiped it off with his finger. The Hospital and doctors could not figure it out until he was just about gone.

Troy Jens told me about the armadillos spreading the disease years ago. He knew someone that died of leprosy.

6. Member
    You all talking about those Turtle Rat creatures ???

For 20 years I've been traveling from just south of St. Louis down hwy 55. Back in the late 90's I would see them "sleeping" on the side of the road starting about 100 miles S. of my exit but every year I would see them just a little further north. Well, last week I seen one "sleeping" on the shoulder right at my exit so I guess they've made it this far north. I'll keep my .22 handy in case I see a live one but does anyone know why they always like to sleep on their back on the side of the highway? I swear that's the only place I ever see them.

Quote Originally Posted by Davecon View Post
    If we lived closer I’d send over my brother-in-law. He’s eaten so many of the darn things he rolls up in to a ball when he hears a dog bark !
    Damn, now that's funny...……..

Spanky

9. Member
    Chances are 1 in 5 that the freakin critter has the disease. BUT, you have to come in contact with the fluids (eg blood) which is very remote. I chootum at night then let them be. Next morning I use surgical gloves to pick it up and haul it to the boneyard out behind my property for the vultures to consume. Last count I think there were around 60 I tossed out there.

“Scientists have suspected that armadillos could harbor and transmit the bacterium responsible for leprosy, known as Mycobacterium leprae, since the 1970s. ... Fortunately for people in the southern United States, only around one-fifth of the nine-banded armadillos there seem to carry signs of leprosy.Jun 28, 2018”

10. Member
    They will destroy a fire ant mound. Americas anteater
    Hi Mike.

11. Member
    4 years ago never even heard of them being in Tn only place i ever saw them was in Texas now in my 5 mile ride to work i will see at least 3 dead in the road every morning
    They said there following the fire ants but who knows..

12. Member
    From what I understand they are used in research trying to find a cure for leprosy. They are marvelous study subjects as they are one of the few animals known that can contract leprosy and the way they have their young provides four identical subjects. Once an egg is fertilized it splits in to two parts then those two parts split again thus four virtually identical subjects are produced. I also heard that there is a research center somewhere near Orlando that uses them trying to find a cure for leprosy. The comment I made earlier about my brother in law was true. He used to eat them all the time. I’ve eaten them a few times. Not too bad. However, when we found out about the research center in Orlando we thought that it is remotely possible that one of the critters could escape (we aren’t that far from Orlando) so we don’t eat them any more.

13. Member
    Taste like chicken!

14. Member
    Dad use to call it possum on the half shell.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassworm1 View Post
    Dad use to call it possum on the half shell.

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    For 20 years I've been traveling from just south of St. Louis down hwy 55. Back in the late 90's I would see them "sleeping" on the side of the road starting about 100 miles S. of my exit but every year I would see them just a little further north. Well, last week I seen one "sleeping" on the shoulder right at my exit so I guess they've made it this far north. I'll keep my .22 handy in case I see a live one but does anyone know why they always like to sleep on their back on the side of the highway? I swear that's the only place I ever see them.
    Ive seen them all the way up to Arnold.

BTW, the ones sleeping on the side of the road with their legs sticking up in the air are waiting for a belly rub.

17. Member
    Keep one of these at the lake just for the little bas*ards. Tear the thunder out of my yard. The neighbors love it when I get one at 2am but it kills them dead!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 BassCat Lynx
    Mercury 300R

Beautiful Grand Lake
    Grove Oklahoma

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    A seven iron to the head works.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

19. Banned
    Had a buddy swear that blood meal works great.

20. Member
    I used to hear it said that if you ever get lost in the woods; just find one and follow him. It'll lead you right to the nearest road!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast