Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff La View Post
    And legalizing will help??? What you have now is going to continue whether you legalize it or not. People are dying every day from heroin overdose, by your analogy we need to legalize it to help.
    How much illegal moonshine is consumed in the US as a percentage of overall alcohol consumption?
    High school kids can get marijuana easier than an adult beverage. Why? The latter is a controlled sale.
    At a state licensed/inspected dispensary, the purity and quality is completely known. No secrets.

And legalizing will help??? What you have now is going to continue whether you legalize it or not. People are dying every day from heroin overdose, by your analogy we need to legalize it to help.
    So your answer is to do nothing? I say giving legalization a shot would reduce criminal activity associated with MJ. And I hope you can see the difference between heroin use and MJ use, how many die daily from MJ overdose? I didn't make that analogy by the way, that's on you.

3. Member
    First off I don't drink anymore and I don't care whether they bring back prohibition or not. I look at the benefits to society versus the detriment. Right now with limited studies the detriment seems to override the benefits. Most who want legalization want recreational use, why so. I believe it should be treated like any other drug administered through a prescription until proper testing is done. As in the case of other drugs, when they are deemed safe they are available for general use. What's the problem with what we have now?
    And there Lies the problem, I don’t do it so I don’t care what happens to the people that do....as Jim as pointed out why aren’t people more upset about the government taking away the citizens rights or telling people what they can and can’t do? Only worrying about own self interests is a very narrow minded way to go through life.

4. Member
    Imagine if we didn't spend all the $$$ on arrests, court, jails, prisons, etc. as it relates to marijuana.
    Now redirect those funds to pay off government debt, boost SS coffers, improve roads and/or education.
    And, if it makes you happy, add sales tax to the recreational sales at stores - not homegrown.

We are pissing away massive amounts of dollars. Yet we allow alcohol, tobacco and Big Macs.

As noted in the past, don't punish all of us for the actions of a few. Smoke and drive, go to jail, easy.
    Smoke and beat your wife, go to jail. Smoke and take a bubble bath - don't post the photos on BBC.
    But if you want to grow it in your yard, add a sprinkle to your brownie batter and enjoy Netflix ...

5. Banned
    It's an argument, but it doesn't at all justify that "the detriment overrides the benefit" or even "seem to" do that. All their doing is pointing out that limited measures don't cure the entire problem. There is no societal problem that can ever be completely solved, ever.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    At least in this instance he was honest. Is he not elected by a majority or is he appointed?
    Not elected.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PsuHntr View Post
    And there Lies the problem, I don’t do it so I don’t care what happens to the people that do....as Jim as pointed out why aren’t people more upset about the government taking away the citizens rights or telling people what they can and can’t do? Only worrying about own self interests is a very narrow minded way to go through life.
    Did you miss the part where I said treat it like any other medicinal drug.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hugo_stiglitz View Post
    Sigh. Legal heroin purchased through reputable outlets that are responsible for purity and dose would absolutely help stop people from dying by "heroin" overdose. They mostly overdose either because of uncontrolled purity making dose different each time, the "heroin" is cut with a more dangerous substance like fentanyl or carfentanyl, or they do it on purpose.

Same goes for Pot, if it's a reputable source and seller, there's no need for additives with unknown provenance to be included.
    As far as heroin goes, doesn't the body build a tolerance up so you need more and more eventually leading to death just like alcohol if used strictly for a high? As far as MJ, does the body build a tolerance to it so you need more and more to get the high? I am not suggesting that leads to death for MJ, just curious.

9. Banned
    As far as heroin goes, doesn't the body build a tolerance up so you need more and more eventually leading to death just like alcohol if used strictly for a high? As far as MJ, does the body build a tolerance to it so you need more and more to get the high? I am not suggesting that leads to death for MJ, just curious.
    Tolerance does build up but eventual death from that is mostly from the other factors I mentioned. The other major cause of long term users dying is just sheer self neglect for things like eating, bathing, and oral infections. Not to say that long term use doesn't contribute to their apathy just that it isn't really an overdose when a user dies from a heart attack due to rotten teeth.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hugo_stiglitz View Post
    It's an argument, but it doesn't at all justify that "the detriment overrides the benefit" or even "seem to" do that. All their doing is pointing out that limited measures don't cure the entire problem. There is no societal problem that can ever be completely solved, ever.
    You can try to justify it any way you want but there is no real benefits to straight legalization.

I have to laugh as those who support recreational use are the same who want to protect society from the ills of everything else
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

11. Member
    No. You actually consume less to get high ... http://www.marijuanalibrary.org/brain2.html
    Although it's due to a buildup in your system. Fresh dosage simply 'spikes' the levels.
    And to eliminate residual activity in the primary receptors - two days. Totally clear - 4 weeks.
    Over the last decade, more is being learned. One thing for sure, it's a beneficial tool.

You can try to justify it any way you want but there is no real benefits to straight legalization.

I have to laugh as those who support recreational use are the same who want to protect society from the ills of everything else
    Well some of us laugh at those who think recreational MJ use is somehow bad.

And I have to laugh at those that can't see the simple financial benefits to legalization which TJ has pointed out.

14. Banned

There's been several pointed out to you. I for one would rather people be able to get their stuff from a known and reputable source grown in the USA and sold openly for whatever purpose, than put cash in the pockets of gangsters and cartels that cause all kinds of damage on American streets and other countries citizens. That ALONE is a huge benefit.

ETA: not to mention the number of cops that get killed and injured just trying to stop it. Cops blood is on the hands of the drug warrior as much as it is on the Cartels. That's nothing worth a child losing a father over.

15. Member

You are missing one of the key concepts of being in this country ... our Constitutional freedom.
    We aren't supposed to live in a place where our daily lives are controlled, period.
    Big Mac, Marlboro, Budweiser, Chips Ahoy, Oxycontin, Copenhagen, Marijuana - which is worst?

16. Member
    Just look at Colorado, there are pros and cons. Its not been the end of times there like some would want you to believe.
    Part of the revenue generated goes straight to the schools.

I believe in freedom and if your government tells you, you are not allowed to grow or possess a simple plant grown from seed you are not really free.

Most with a negative view have had their critical thinking skills eroded by big pharma and the governments bid to protect them.

reefer madness anyone?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567