Banned

Prosperity Theology and I Timothy, Chapter 6

I was reading the Bible today and came across I Timothy, Chapter 6. I'm no Bible scholar, but the bulk of the chapter seems be an admonishment against a present day, popular movement that is called Prosperity Theology. Thoughts?

2. Member
    The whole Bible teaches the opposite of what the prosperity gospel crowd espouse. They're a bunch of self-serving false teachers.

Quote Originally Posted by Screamin_Reel View Post
    The whole Bible teaches the opposite of what the prosperity gospel crowd espouse. They're a bunch of self-serving false teachers.
    1 Timothy 6:9-10 9 But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. 10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.

"If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Screamin_Reel View Post
    Can you get an Amen? Amen, you got one from me.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    Amen.

7. Member
    SD--your passage is often misquoted, "Money is the root of all evil." As in all things, it is about the heart. God gives us the tool of money (and a stable government to back it) for use to live and further His kingdom. We can and do misuse this gift, sometimes to the point of making it our god. Real riches are not monetary. "(God) who desires all people to be saved..." 1 Tim 2:4. Why did God invent man when He knew it would be such a hassle? For His ego? God doesn't need to be worshiped or need anything for that matter. He wanted to share Himself and His glory--true riches that last forever.