oil low on dip stck

Hi again. I just got a nauticstar 227xts with a 2018 250 SHO and lack about 45 mins left on my 10 hour break in. I checked the oil today and found it is only reading about a 1/4 inch up on the dip stick. So should i add oil and if so how much ? or just go ahead and change the oil all together?
    I am new to four strokes and yamaha ( came from a Merc 225 EFI ) so please bare with me and my simple questions.
    Thanks a lot

2. Member
    Tilt the motor up for a couple of hours and then down, check the engine position with a level (if you have one), making sure it's level. After a couple of hours, check the oil then. That will give you an accurate reading. Anything between the two holes is normal and acceptable.

3. Member
    Ok i will do that Thanks a bunch

4. Member
    If you saw the low reading after pulling out the dipstick for the first time this is a common issue. My conventional F200 at times would have no oil on the dip stick at all. Replunge the dipstick and it would show the oil level.

Only try to get the oil level to the middle of the markings on the dip stick. If you think it is low then tilt the motor up about half way for about five minutes. Then trim the motor back to the vertical position and recheck.

5. Member
    all good advice

6. Member
    Hi guys sorry for late reply.
    I am very confused on you guys saying that the dip stick wont have any oil when you first pull it out and then stick it back in and it shows. Doesn't the dip stick sit down in the oil when all the way in? or is there some kind of internal vacuum keeping the oil from being on the stick?

That being said when i pull the stick out for the first time after a few days it reads about a 1/2 inch on the stick. When i plunge it back in it reads about 1/2 inch above the top fill mark.

I remember when checking my transmission fluid on truck that you had to let it sit for an hour to get a true reading on transmission oil. If i were to plunge it back in it would read half way up the stick. Meaning that when i pulled the stick out for the first time it drug some fluid up the dip stick tube and caused it to read too full. Does that make sense?? lol .

I guess i am trying to determine if i have too much oil or not enough.
    i don't want to ruin my brand new motor because of too much or too little oil
    I wish checking oil was as easy as my truck LOL

7. Member
    The dipstick goes down inside a tube. The tube goes right to the bottom of the oil pan. Some/most/all of the oil can leave the tube when the motor is running. When the motor is stopped oil cannot get back into the tube because it is air locked. Pulling the dipstick removes the air lock and allows the oil to then rise within the tube. It will then seek its own level.

For best results check the oil level when the motor is cold. Tilt the motor up half way for several minutes to allow any oil that is trapped in the block to get back to the oil pan. Trim the motor back to the vertical position. Remove the dip stick. Don't even bother looking at it. Wipe it clean. Fully reinsert the stick. Remove it and check the oil level. It should be at or about the mid-range point.

8. Member
    Ok Guys, First of all THANK YOU TO EVERYONE who is helping me.
    It seems my new show is making oil and i am at about 9 hours.
    After checking the oil the correct way thanks to you all it is reading about 3/4 inch above the top full mark.
    I was reading another thread on here and found out this is common with new sho.

So question now is ,
    Should i just remove the oil down to the good reading? or change the oil all together?
    I tried to smell the oil and it smells more like used oil. I really can't tell if it smells like gas or not.

The good thing is i ran the heck out of it after i checked oil three weeks ago and the oil level has not moved after that run. But it is still high 3/4 of an inch.

So what do you guys think?
    And thanks again for the help here

9. Member
    I would change it now, don't do at 20 and then at 100 hours.

10. Member
    Change it. Oils cheap and you will be getting the break in crap out of the engine and removing any doubt about the oil. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

11. Member
    Okay Guys thanks I will change the oil and filter . I will keep y'all updated after i run it with the new oil

12. Member
    Good mornnig.
    I was able to change my oil in between rain storms. I got a pump from west marine and drained it out. I tilted the motor up for ten min and also turned the steering side to side . Then let it back down for another 10 min. I changed the oil filter and put 6.5 quarts in and the dip stick reads between 1/2 and 2/3rds in between the two holes.
    Question: is this good enough? and should i check it right after the engine warms up at the ramp to see if i need anymore oil? I can take the remaining oil in the gallon jug and my funnel with me.
    I feel much better about getting that breakin oil out of there :)

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PlanoKeith View Post
    Good mornnig.
    I was able to change my oil in between rain storms. I got a pump from west marine and drained it out. I tilted the motor up for ten min and also turned the steering side to side . Then let it back down for another 10 min. I changed the oil filter and put 6.5 quarts in and the dip stick reads between 1/2 and 2/3rds in between the two holes.
    Question: is this good enough? and should i check it right after the engine warms up at the ramp to see if i need anymore oil? I can take the remaining oil in the gallon jug and my funnel with me.
    I feel much better about getting that breakin oil out of there :)
    Oil level sounds just fine. No need to recheck it again until the next time you go to use the motor.

14. Member
    Ok Thanks yam911 .

15. Member
    Make sure to "run it like you stole it" for a few more hours at least to really seat the rings!!

John

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hagins View Post
    Make sure to "run it like you stole it" for a few more hours at least to really seat the rings!!

John
    I am going to do just that. Thanks everyone :)

17. Member
    UPDATE!!

I went out this morning after changing the oil two weeks ago and ran the motor for two solid hours in the 4500 to 5500 rpm range. I checked the oil before and after and the oil level didn't move on the stick from what i can tell. I also noticed the motor seemed to have loosened up as i ran it and even sounded better running as the day went on. So hopefully i am getting there. thanks everyone for the advice and i will continue to check the oil every time i go out to make sure.

18. Member
    FYI, I have a 2018 SHO 200. When I first bought it the oil level on the stick was at 1/2 when I took delivery from the dealer. At the 20 hour oil change the level was at around 3/4 on the dip stick. They changed the oil and put in synthetic oil and again the level was at 1/2 on the stick. I had an issue with the motor at around 33 hours and around that time the oil level was again at 3/4. I checked it the other day and it was up to the full mark. I broke the motor in by the book and when fishing tournaments and when I can I run the motor hard. During the week and summer I fish a local lake with a 35mph limit so for the most part I might get it up on plane a few times and idle a lot. So I would say my normal rpm range would be 3000-4500 but more hours at below 4500. I also put around 100 hours on my motors a year. The dealer tells me I need to always run it hard for the first run of the day to heat the motor up but of course that's hard to do when fishing a 35mph lake. Plus nowhere in the owners manual does it say that and there are many, many pleasure boats I see that never get run hard. Since I will change the oil soon the dealer just pumped out some oil today and put in some fresh oil and I'll check the level in a couple of weeks. The interesting part was the mechanic showed me the oil they drained into a clear pickle sized jar. You could easily see the oil and the gas and it looked more like a liquid than oil.

So don't be fooled that after changing your oil and a few trips your fine. Keep checking your oil because I thought mine was fine as well. Question for everyone as well. Is there a recommendation on what type of oil to use, normal four stroke oil or the synthetic?
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

19. Member
    UPDATE
    I have had three trips since the last update above. Still no making oil. I make sure i run the hell out of it at least once every trip. 30 to 45 minutes continuous above 4800 rpms and several full throttle burst in that mix. I check the oil everytime after each trip and it has not moved and the oil finally smells like oil without a hint of gas. I will continue to check it after every trip and closely monitor the oil level
    Thanks again for all the input