Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dang Groundhogs🤬🤬🤬

i need help getting rid of a groundhog or two.
    Bought a farm with an old barn. Dirt floor has holes dug all around.
    I want to be as humane as possible. If that means dying quick, so be it.
    But I would like to trap it/them if possible.

Suggestions????
    thanks in advance
    BB1

2. Member
    .22 to the head or if you want to obliterate them try a .300 Mag of some type or even a .338.
    Praying for a Cure

3. Member
    .204 ruger is fun a very humane if on target!

4. Member
    .22 to the head and then cook up a big pot of groundhog and dumplins! Don’t forget a pan or two of hot homemade biscuits! Deeelicious!!!!!!

Larry Eby, 2004 ChampioN 188 Elite/2003 200 Hp Vmax OX66
    "Romans 10:9"

6. Banned
    Forget humane and think ruthless or your grandchildren will be repeating this thread when they are on social security.

7. Member
    I killed a bunch of the for some local farmers. Center fire rifles are illegal here for ground shooting so I used my Savage 22 wmr magnum with hollow points. It’s a deadly round out to about 150 yds. You could use a conibear trap laid over the holes,might work.

8. Member
    I have caught a few around my shed in the backyard. I bought a live trap. Put a slice or 2 of apples in it. Put a few layers of burlap over the trap and some small logs on the side. Worked for me. but beware, skunks like apples.

I've been live trapping them, then decommission them with a 22. A friend shoves a gas soaked rag down the hole and fills the hole. Claims high success in eliminating them. I haven't tried that yet as the critters seem to come from the farm over the back fence. Neighbor across the road has a couple of good burrows so maybe we'll try the gas rags on them.
    Veteran, NRA Patron Life Member

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    I killed a bunch of the for some local farmers. Center fire rifles are illegal here for ground shooting so I used my Savage 22 wmr magnum with hollow points. It’s a deadly round out to about 150 yds. You could use a conibear trap laid over the holes,might work.
    Conibear aren't very selective--wouldn't want to have to explain what happened to Fluffy. Havahart is worth a shot. Like MikeSF said, try apples. If that doesn't work try peanut butter. And if neither of those work, I don't know--how about bacon? Maybe a nice BLT.

11. Member
    Live trap with lettuce, veggies, or fruit....just caught one last week with lettuce....released into a huge corn field.

12. Member
    I used a live trap very successfully. Place it in front of the hole. Cover the hole and all except the rear of the trap with burlap or a tarp. Place dirt on the side parts of the tarp that cover the hole and side of the trap so they don't just go under it. They will enter the trap thinking they can just go out the back, since they see daylight there. You may have to fill some holes to see which ones they are using, but this method works.
    What you do with them after you get them in the trap, well, that's for you to decide. As for me, they sure are good baked with bar-b-que sauce!!!

13. Member
    Thanks for the info. I appreciate the help.
    BB1

Try some yellow squash .. had one take out half of my squash patch .. little **^%<

15. Member
    Hmmm. I’ll try that. Along with some of the other suggestions. I need to get that barn ready for deer season.
    BB1

Combine post 6 and 8

Once trapped, kill em

17. Joe4d
    yeh dont drive them somewhere to turn em lose. Most likely its illegal to transport live wild animals. It is in VA, shoot em, trap em and kill em, or leave em alone.

18. Banned
    once they are gone sprinkle powdered laundry detergent around the area to keep them away.

19. Member
    Used to drive around back roads in the early 60's shooting the varmits. Started helping neighbour on a hog farm. He was doing development work for Lely Liquid Manure tanks at the time and they were making a Liquid Manure pumping tank, hooked up to a tractor. Well, we soon found this was a special way to get rid of ground hogs. Load the tanker up (1,000 U.S. Gal) in 90 seconds of juicy stinking pig poop and head for the fields. Find a hole, drop the 6 inch discharge hose down a hole and fill t up with pig poop. Didn't take long for the critter to come crawling out. Once he came out a quick rap on the back of the head with a piece of 1 in. pipe put it in dream land forever. Move on to next hole. Didn't take long to clean up a farm of ground hogs. The holes would never be reused as the manure stayed around for some time. Had to watch a times you didn't disturb some skunks. Was always a great way to pass a Satuday afternoon

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loweman11 View Post
    Live trap with lettuce, veggies, or fruit....just caught one last week with lettuce....released into a huge corn field.
    This works for us, got rid of 4 and just took them for a ride ! Also one coon took the same ride .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast