9 wire to 5 flat how to

Hey guys, having trouble getting everything to work properly. I can get the blinkers to work properly turned on but no running lights when my parking/headlights are on. I've got three white, two red a brown wire, a yellow brown a green and a green and brown. Right now I have all three White bundle together going to the ground on the 5 flat. Both red wires going to the blue on the 5 flat. The blinkers connect to the proper turn signals on each but the "trailer lights" wire on the 5 flat doesn't do anything no matter what I touch it to on the boat side. Anyone got a diagram or helpful tips? I would really appreciate it!

Check out this thread on the trailer forum....

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=181193

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Check the fuse in your truck for trailer running lights.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    Ok ty you, the fuse was indeed blown. I replaced it and got everything to work properly, running lights, brakes, reverse and left turn signal. I STILL can't get the right turn signal to work for some reason. try to post a pic of what I did to get where I am

5. Member
    pic below, I think. It shows posted on my phone in the forum but not on the big computer

6. Member

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wartdawg View Post
    Ok ty you, the fuse was indeed blown. I replaced it and got everything to work properly, running lights, brakes, reverse and left turn signal. I STILL can't get the right turn signal to work for some reason. try to post a pic of what I did to get where I am
    I can't see the colors good on the pic, but I can tell you the colors you're dealing with and what each does. This is on the 5 pin flat plug for the trailer. You can use a voltmeter on the truck side to determine which wire goes to which circuit. Simply turn on the circuit (for instance the lights) and ground the voltmeter, then touch each wire individually til you get voltage reading. The turn signal and brakes should be on the same wire/circuit

Brown: lights, running lights
    Yellow: Left turn signal / left brake light
    Green: Right turn signal / right brake light
    Blue: Usually used for backup lights or to disengage the reverse solenoid on some trailers
    White: Ground -- on the trailer side, make sure it goes to an uninsulated part of the trailer.

hope this helps
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Does the trailer have back up lights ?? Or maybe a charging system that charges as you drive. It looks like you have an extra Red and 2 white wires, which would be 2 additional circuits or lights or ?? What kind of Boat/Trailer is this for ?
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

9. Member
    Thanks for the reply, it does have backup lights but no charger. It is a 2012 Ranger Dual axle (z119)

10. Member
    I took the boat out Friday and also noticed when I hit the brakes with no headlights on the running lights also come on along with the brake lights!

11. Member
    OK, read this slowly and think about it. Get the trailer lights fixed without doing anything to the truck side. Then, if it still has a problem, you know the trailer is Ok and it's either going to be in the tow vehicle plug or the pigtail that joins the two together. To fix the trailer lights, disconnect all the lights on the trailer (you can probably leave the marker lights connected and just deal with the back lights). Leave the wires spread so none touch the trailer or each other. Get a 5pin plug that will plug into the 5 pin on the trailer. This plug will have wires coming off it that will be brown, yellow, green, white and probably blue. Get a 12V battery. Connect the white wire to the battery negative. Make sure the trailer side white wire is connected to a clean connection on the trailer. Connect the brown wire to the battery positive. With voltmeter, ground the black lead to the trailer and probe the two wires that go to each light. The brown wire should show voltage and that will be your "light" wire. Connect the yellow to battery positive. On the left side, the wire with voltage (should be yellow) will be the turn signal and brake light. Connect the green wire to battery positive. On the right side, the the wire with voltage (should be green) will be the right signal and brake light. The three lights under the center of the trailer and the marker lights will also come off the brown wire. The blue when connected to the battery positive should energize the electric brake solenoid disconnecting the brakes. When that is all working properly, then plug to the tow vehicle. If you still have problems, then start trouble shooting the tow vehicle plug and any "pigtails" in place -- but know the trailer lights are OK.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

12. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wartdawg View Post
    I took the boat out Friday and also noticed when I hit the brakes with no headlights on the running lights also come on along with the brake lights!
    Likely a bad ground where your white wire attaches to the tongue.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

13. Member
    I like it. I will do this. I know the truck side is good to go since everything worked fine before i let my buddy pull us to the lake one day and the plug fell out of his truck and took a 60 mile ride sliding down HWY 65 south!