Boat storage locks

My boat will now be stored outdoor in a storage facility. I know if a thief really wanted to steal the boat/trailer, I’m sure he’ll be able to but what are some better options for theft deterrent? Trailer has a swing tongue, single axle with brakes. I came across proven industries tongue lock. Any opinions with that brand? I will also consider a wheel lock if there is any out there that works.

When a friend of mine put his boat in storage ( swinging tongue) I suggested he remove the tongue. Swing it, unplug the wiring, remove the second bolt and take the tongue home with you.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    When a friend of mine put his boat in storage ( swinging tongue) I suggested he remove the tongue. Swing it, unplug the wiring, remove the second bolt and take the tongue home with you.
    This,anything else is just wasted effort. It goes without saying,remove everything of value,including the prop. Leave all the hatches unlocked so thieves won’t break them when looking.

Pull the pin, and a trailer tongue lock is all u need. The more likely scenario is looking a prop, or other small stuff.
    Last edited by BMCD; 08-20-2018 at 08:05 AM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

How about installing a wheel boot on one wheel? That would keep the whole rig from walking off.
    Get a set of locking lug nuts for all the wheels (including spare), so the tires/wheels don't disappear.
    Break the swing tongue, and install a locking pin so it can't be re-connected with the pin in the way.
    Obviously, don't keep anything of value in the boat, and keep good insurance coverage for anything else that may happen to it.

6. Member
    Locking lug nuts are a good idea but a battery powered sawz-all will take care of any lock.

7. Member
    I was considering swinging the tongue and keeping the bolt attached then finding a pin lock so the tongue can’t be reattached and getting a lock like this

I’m still doing some research on wheel locks that will work with brakes.

8. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    There is a video of that lock in a post on this site...I saw it. This guy gets through every tongue lock and latch lock within a minute but that proven industries one takes a beating.

I have both a tongue lock, latch lock and a cable inside my rim to the trailer but I know very well that is a thief wants my boat they can steal it. I do trust that proven industries lock though.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Just take the tongue off. It is only one more bolt and on my friends trailer the wiring unplugged where the tongue breaks

10. Member
    I’ll take a look this weekend at the tongue to see how easy/difficult it is to remove the wiring. Doing some research on Proven Locks, not sure if it’s worth the money since the puck lock is aluminum but quality is still high compared to other trailer locks. In the meantime, I’ll be picking up 10mm or 12mm pewag chains that’s 10% harden and has a surface hardness of 62 hrc min. Chains will only buy you time, this chain buys me the most time so I’ll wrap it around the wheel and leaf springs on each side.
    Last edited by Procharged392; 08-16-2018 at 01:07 AM.

11. Member
    When we travel for tournaments we pull the pin on the tongue, swing it over and put a regular pad lock through the top or bottom hole. Pin stays in the truck.

I would suggest cable over chain for locking the wheels. You can get a rubber coated cable fairly cheap and it’s much harder to cut with bolt cutters.

Also, if you have the A-60 ufp tongue/actuator, you can lock the brakes out with a screw driver by depressing the pushrod.

Small lock big insurance policy .

Simple, assuming this is for an extended storage, remove everything you can. Empty lockers, remove all electronics, prop, TM. (there's a slide mount than you can get which allows you to remove the TM with the push of a button) and jack it up and take the TIRES AND WHEELS !! Take it all home with you. If they really want it, they'll have to work for it and there's very little left to take !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

I've investigated thousands of thefts, and one factor remains consistent; thieves are industrious but lazy. It's sort of like out running a bear, you don't have to be faster than the bear, just faster then whoever else the bear is chasing also. That being said, take measures as listed above, removing or locking out trailer tongue and a wheel boot like the parking police use in the cities make great deterrents which will make your rig look like too much of a pain in the butt to steal if there are other more vulnerable targets to occupy the crook's time. Also, make sure the storage facility has adequate and functional video surveillance, as the we want to make sure and catch the crooks no matter who they end up stealing from.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI