Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Reel Opinions.

It's time I buy some new reels. Went out today and handled a variety of reels and a few have made the final cut. It's come down to the Shimano Curado K, Curado 70, Daiwa Tatula SV, and the Lews Superduty. I'll be looking to replace my entire fleet of reels (all Concept A's) and would like to keep them the same, or at least brand wise. About the lightest lure I'll throw on a casting reel is maybe a weightless Senko but I'll also like a reel that can handle my deep cranking/A-rig needs. One of the things I value the most is reliability. I take very good care of my gear and really don't want to buy new reels every couple of years. All opinions are welcome.

2. Member
    Not really what your seeking but I have a Curado K paired with the Curado 7'2" crankbait rod. It's my go to Wiggle Wart/ Rock Krawler rod and I have no complaints. I did add a bearing each to the reel handle to give 2 per knob and replaced the plastic worm gear bushing to a bearing (all Zpi) and although I didn't use te real before these upgrades she is very smooth. Oh and I added ZPI spool bearings before I ever took it out.

Of the reels you posted, I would go with the Daiwa Tatula SV

4. Member
    I second the tatula sv. Excellent reels. 0 backlashes.

CU 150 DC
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

Thanks for the opinions. Just curious what techniques do you guys use the Tatula SV for? After doing a little research tonight I don't think it will work for my deep cranking or A-rigs. The 150 may fit my needs there.

7. Member
    After not being content with my Revos as a great skipping reel, I recently purchased the Tatula specifically for that technique and am quite impressed!! As mentioned in earlier post, zero backlashes once I dialed it in. Seems to be a great reel for the price! Got mine as a BBC special through board sponsor Tackle Trap...amazingly fast delivery!

2012 Stratos 189 VLO/150 Mercury Pro XS/MinnKota Terrova

8. Member
    Tatula CT or CT-R for your deep crank/A-rig and Tatula SV for everything else.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

I have the K, 70, and sold my Tatula SV. The spool on the SV is too slow and you can tell as it suffers alot in distance compared to the other 2. Dont let the homers tell you different, the Curados can skip, you just need to tighten up the spool control cap. I would take a Tatula Ct Type R before an SV. It casts alot better but still not to the level of the Curados. I sold that one too. Also Daiwas dont resell very well compared to Shimanos. Dont even get me started on smoothness and power. The Tatulas feel geary compared to the Ks micro gears. Try and go to a store and handle one and you will see what im talking about. The 70 casts great but the line cap is too small. You could easily spool it with anything 1/2 oz and up.

10. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    The Tat SV is an excellent general purpose reel at its price point and casts plenty far when the reel is setup properly. With an SV reel, you set the cast control adjustment to the point where the spool doesn't move side to side and then leave it alone pretty much forever. You don't adjust the cast control for each lure - those adjustments are done with the brake dial.

The only instance I've found where a Tat SV hasn't held enough line is bombing a frog on #65 braid with the wind at my back. I don't use a Tat SV for deep cranks because they don't make it in a 5.5:1 gear ratio so I have a Tat CT P for that.

The biggest issue you'll have with a Tat SV is you'll be tempted to try a Zillion and then a Steez and then trying a bunch of different 3rd party spools and..... It gets pretty expensive at that point.

I would say buy one of each, do some fishing and make the decision from there. The ones you don't want won't be difficult to sell.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tacklenerd View Post
    I have the K, 70, and sold my Tatula SV. The spool on the SV is too slow and you can tell as it suffers alot in distance compared to the other 2. Dont let the homers tell you different, the Curados can skip, you just need to tighten up the spool control cap. I would take a Tatula Ct Type R before an SV. It casts alot better but still not to the level of the Curados. I sold that one too. Also Daiwas dont resell very well compared to Shimanos. Dont even get me started on smoothness and power. The Tatulas feel geary compared to the Ks micro gears. Try and go to a store and handle one and you will see what im talking about. The 70 casts great but the line cap is too small. You could easily spool it with anything 1/2 oz and up.
    Homers, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by jamey1e View Post
    Thanks for the opinions. Just curious what techniques do you guys use the Tatula SV for? After doing a little research tonight I don't think it will work for my deep cranking or A-rigs. The 150 may fit my needs there.
    Exactly. The Tatula 150 comes in RH 5.5:1 and is a fantastic deep crank/A-rig reel. The Tatula SV comes in 6.3:1, 7.3:1, and 8:1 so you can cover just about any normal casting reel duties between those three. The 6.3 is fine for deep cranking in my opinion.

Either way you go, go with either Daiwa or Shimano and you'll be happy. The Curado K is a nice reel at it's price point too. The Tackle Trap is a BBC sponsor and a dealer for both. We'd be happy to get you set up with a good deal on your new reels, AND we're authorized warranty and service centers for both should any issues arise.

I've been a long time Shimano guy since the B-SF model. Earlier this year, I tried the Diawa Tatula SV to try this skipping thing and I'm afraid I've become a convert. You have to really act stupid to make this reel backlash. It may not be the best tool for every task, but with three ratios, I can see where it could handle most of them. I'm not so much of a believer in only one reel or rod brand for everything. I use a Abu Garcia Record for A-rigs and a Lews Speed Spool for deep cranks.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

14. Banned
    None. Id wait till the Tat100 gets to the podium.

15. Member
    The reels that you mention all serve very different purposes for me. I own them all. I use a small Shimanos for my finesse applications (Curado 70 and Alde 50). Curado K gets the call for jigging and heavier T-rig duty. The Tatula SV's I use for skipping and throwing light jerk baits into the wind. They are impossible to backlash but I also find them to be the least comfortable in my hand. Lastly, the super duty in the 5 gear with an added power handle is the best damn cranking reel I have ever owned. Perhaps consider not tying yourself to a single platform. All of these reels have their pluses and minuses. My $0.02 anyway…

If I were to do it over, I would try the Curado DC instead of the SVs because I find the Curados far more comfortable in my medium-sized hands. (Anyone want to buy my SVs?)
    -Matt

16. Member
    Curado K is my vote.
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray23 View Post
    Of the reels you posted, I would go with the Daiwa Tatula SV
    I am put back money for 2 of the new 100's

Guys thanks for all the help. I ordered a Tatula SV to try.

19. Member
    I have been using Lews over the last several years. I bought a Tatula SV and just today I bought my first Tatula CT. My Lews just dont seem to be lasting as long as they should. Hoping Daiwa is the new reel for me.

20. Member
    I am partial to my curado 70s. Just because they are smaller reels does not mean they lack power. I use them for pitching creature baits, jigs, worms, senkos, etc. I however do not use them for crankbaits, seimbaits, or any other presentation when you have to bomb very long casts. They work great for everything else and are incredibly smooth.

id probably recommend the K for the a-rig, but I’m not much of a Daiwa guy. Worth noting that I upgraded the curado 70 reel handles to metanium handles for the extra length.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast