92 175 hp Evinrude intruder

I have a 92 175 hp Evinrude it will idle fine and run really good sometimes. Then you can stop and it will idle fine but will not go when put under power. Any ideas on what it could be? I was thinking maybe dirt in the fuel system maybe dirty carbs. I have noticed that you can let it set when it does it and it will clear up and run. I have taken it out and it never acted up at all. Thanks for any help.
    m#ve175glenc
    s#g03054933

2. Member
    Welcome to the forum. Do a search here on heat soak, you will find good info. Several things could cause your problem and it might not be just one thing. Next time your out when it acts up push in on the key to activate the primer, if it picks up and runs, probably a fuel issue, no change, could be ignition.

3. Member
    If all troubleshooting tests fail to indicate a problem then it is almost always the power pack and OIS sensor not communicating well.
    Replacing the power pack and optic sensor cures the problem 98% of the time.

First though you have to eliminate the possibility of a fuel system issue. Specifically an air leak at the VRO pulse hose, or a minute leak at the vapor separator.

4. Member
    Thanks for the tips, I plan on if life let’s me mess with it this week so I can take it back out this weekend.this page is full
    Of a lot of good info glad I joined never knew it was out there .

5. Member
    First get a real OMC service manual for your motor, one might be available for download in the sticky on the top of the forum page. To get the motor up to perfect running condition may require many steps in rebuilding and replacing fuel components, and testing the ignition system. The manual will be great help, easy to follow instructions. First I would test the compression, to see what if we are working on a good motor and test for spark, also make sure that there is a clear or yellowing plastic sleeve over a smaller black roller on the carb linkage that opens the carbs, very common for it to crack and fall off. With the sleeve the roller diameter is approximately 3/8 inch. Spark plugs should be Champion QL78YC gapped at .030. Any maintenance history will be of great help.
    Last edited by 316jughead; 08-13-2018 at 07:37 AM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishhead80 View Post
    Thanks for the tips, I plan on if life let’s me mess with it this week so I can take it back out this weekend.this page is full
    Of a lot of good info glad I joined never knew it was out there .
    This is a good forum, we have Evinrude/Johnson certified master techs and some others with real hands on experience. ChampioNman is our go to guy and Mr Seahorse keeps us all in line. For our crossflow motors you won't find anyone better than omcforever. You will soon get to know the other guy's that offer no BS advice.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SMR View Post
    If all troubleshooting tests fail to indicate a problem then it is almost always the power pack and OIS sensor not communicating well.
    Replacing the power pack and optic sensor cures the problem 98% of the time.

First though you have to eliminate the possibility of a fuel system issue. Specifically an air leak at the VRO pulse hose, or a minute leak at the vapor separator.
    Power pack and sensor can be a problem but 98% of the time?

8. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Welcome to the boards Fishhead 80!

Lots of knowledge here, and they're more than happy to help. JUST MAKE SURE you answer the questions they ask. That's how they figure out your motors issues.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

9. Member
    Just out of curiosity what would I be looking at price why’s for a power pack?

10. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    https://www.boats.net/catalog/evinru...gnition-system

$259.58 + tax.

ALWAYS buy OEM parts for your motor. CDI parts are the devil!
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishhead80 View Post
    Let's not jump to conclusions. When your here longer you'll find out that while some are trying to help, their ideas are not correct. We try to make sure that we clear up any miss information. The power pack could be a problem, but 98% of the time is not accurate info.

12. Member

13. Member
    Thanks, that’s good info hopefully I can get out
    and mess with it some after work this week and give everyone some feedback on it.

14. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Seeing your motor is a 92 you could be suffering from Trailerits, check this link out. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=732758 You have fixed orifices on your carbs so there is no way to adjust your idle circuits. Only way to do that is to swap your orifices.

15. Member
    Just to give everyone some feed back I haven’t had a chance to mess with my motor
    fall sports with the kids have tied up all of my time after work
    as soon as I can mess with it some more I will give you some feed back.