I need motor selling/buying advice

Under powered my new boat. I want to sell my Mercury 30hp and strap on a 60hp (max for boat). The boat/motor was bought in Mar 2018, so the motor is under warranty. I have a Crestliner Retriever 1660 side console.

What is the best strategy? Try to sell my 30hp via Craig's List, Ebay, etc? I will call local and not so local boat dealers and boat repairs shops to see if anyone has any interest in buying the 30hp and selling me a used or new 60hp. I realize a 30hp has a limited market, at least I would think it does. So I ain't calling boat dealers that sell mainly high end boats.

One more question - if I want to go from Mercury to Yamaha, does this usually mean a new steering and throttle setup?

2. Member
    You would need new controls if switching brands. Not steering. I think the options you listed are good. Can also post here in the motors for sale section. Never know when someone needs one like that for a lake boat. Call the local repair shops. They may know someone who is looking or be able to take it on trade.

3. Member
    I would start at a dealer unless you are interested in a used motor from a private individual. They might give you a good trade in because your motor is practically new.
    Before you do that check around and see if someone has a Merc low hours cheap. You're running out of prime time to sell anything nautical.

4. Member
    Got to thinking about the motor upgrade. I could live with a 40 or 50 hp. Taking a look at craig's list I see a 2011 Tracker Pro 165 with a 40hp in very good condition for $7,000. I could buy that, put my new 30hp with warranty on it and take the 40hp for my boat. The 30hp will push that Pro 165 just fine. Maybe it makes sense to look for a complete rig that is not too old that a 30 hp would be good on and swap. No sales tax on used boats, so if I could sell for the same or very close to what I bought, almost no cost to upgrade.

5. Member
    If you're not happy with the 30 HP you probably won't be happy with the 40 HP either. It's not likely to be that big of an increase in performance. If I were in your shoes I'd buy the 60 HP and be done with it.

6. Member
    Call Jaco's Marine.

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowerider58 View Post
    If you're not happy with the 30 HP you probably won't be happy with the 40 HP either. It's not likely to be that big of an increase in performance. If I were in your shoes I'd buy the 60 HP and be done with it.
    agreed, double the HP will make a big difference 10 not so much..

8. Member
    Buy a new 30 hp and have twin 30’s on your boat.

May not be practical, but it would look impressive.

I like your boat !!! Would not change engine .

10. Member
    My brother is about to repower his tin boat with a larger engine. It has a 2016 60hp Mercury 4 stroke with around 50 hours. PM me if you would like his contact info. Located in Birmingham, AL.

11. Member
    I would think in Bella Vista you shouldn't have any issues with selling a 30hp with all the pontoons we have here. I would pin up at Highlands or Casey's and see if you get a bite. I would definitely re power to 60hp instead of 40 or 50 IMO.
    Phil 4:19 2018 Nitro Z19, 200Pro Xs, Lowrance, Minnkota

12. Member
    Started off calling some boat dealers. Found one an hour up the road outside Joplin that would give me NADA which is $4,630. After some more research I started liking what I was reading about Tohatsu motors. Had a hard time finding much of anything negative about them in reviews. So I ordered a 50hp installed for $6,400. It weighs 209 lbs vs Mercury and Yamaha both at 247lbs. The 60hp Tohatsu was $7,200 and weighed 239lbs. Plus, Tohatsu has a five year warranty vs three on Mer/Yam.

Drove the boat up there Monday and got the deal done, easy cheesy. So for $1,770 I upgraded to the 2019 Tohatsu 50hp with five year warranty. Should have it back this Saturday for a test drive.

13. Member
    Cool. Sounds like you are happy about the deal. And that's what matters. Nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by jigman51 View Post
    Call Jaco's Marine.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by breeves2245 View Post
    Started off calling some boat dealers. Found one an hour up the road outside Joplin that would give me NADA which is $4,630. After some more research I started liking what I was reading about Tohatsu motors. Had a hard time finding much of anything negative about them in reviews. So I ordered a 50hp installed for $6,400. It weighs 209 lbs vs Mercury and Yamaha both at 247lbs. The 60hp Tohatsu was $7,200 and weighed 239lbs. Plus, Tohatsu has a five year warranty vs three on Mer/Yam.

Drove the boat up there Monday and got the deal done, easy cheesy. So for $1,770 I upgraded to the 2019 Tohatsu 50hp with five year warranty. Should have it back this Saturday for a test drive.
    After your test run, please post your numbers. I’m considering a similar rig, and wonder what kind of speed/ performance difference you have, 30 hp vs. 50 hp.

16. Member
    Congratulations on new motor.

I still think having twin 30’s would have been killer.

17. Banned
    Got to thinking about the motor upgrade. I could live with a 40 or 50 hp. Taking a look at craig's list I see a 2011 Tracker Pro 165 with a 40hp in very good condition for $7,000. I could buy that, put my new 30hp with warranty on it and take the 40hp for my boat. The 30hp will push that Pro 165 just fine. Maybe it makes sense to look for a complete rig that is not too old that a 30 hp would be good on and swap. No sales tax on used boats, so if I could sell for the same or very close to what I bought, almost no cost to upgrade.
    This would be a good way to do it but hold out for at least a 50. You could always just sell yours and buy another.

......Sorry I just saw you just upgraded. Im pretty sure Tohatsu makes Mercs up to 50hp.

18. Member
    Got the 50hp and took it out the last two days for break-in. World of difference between the Merc 30hp and the Tohatsu 50hp. So much more torque and very quick to get on plane. I have some pretty serious porpoising going on, so hard to check top end speed. I touched 35 but had to back off due to porpoising. The 30 would hit 27mph. I'll experiment with the motor hole location and I just put a 35lb dumbbell in the bow. Another test drive scheduled for later today.

I am very satisfied with the increase in power. Not sure what a 60hp would feel like, but this 50hp has plenty of performance for my needs. The dealer used the same gauges and the tach was reading 2,900 at WOT. I called them while still on the lake and they said I needed to adjust the tach setting in back. I did not know how much to turn the screw, just experimented with it. At WOT now it reads 6,100. But heck, how do I know if that is accurate? Guess it doesn't really matter in the long run, just need to get the porpoising under control and I'm all good.

19. Member
    Just one little tip. In Arkansas you don't pay sales tax on a used boat if you buy it from an individual. If you buy it from a dealer you have to pay sales tax. I have verified that.
    Also that includes boats purchased from any other state as long as it's an individual. Go for the 60HP. Good Luck.

Got the 50hp and took it out the last two days for break-in. World of difference between the Merc 30hp and the Tohatsu 50hp. So much more torque and very quick to get on plane. I have some pretty serious porpoising going on, so hard to check top end speed. I touched 35 but had to back off due to porpoising. The 30 would hit 27mph. I'll experiment with the motor hole location and I just put a 35lb dumbbell in the bow. Another test drive scheduled for later today.

I am very satisfied with the increase in power. Not sure what a 60hp would feel like, but this 50hp has plenty of performance for my needs. The dealer used the same gauges and the tach was reading 2,900 at WOT. I called them while still on the lake and they said I needed to adjust the tach setting in back. I did not know how much to turn the screw, just experimented with it. At WOT now it reads 6,100. But heck, how do I know if that is accurate? Guess it doesn't really matter in the long run, just need to get the porpoising under control and I'm all good.
    Thanks for the update. It sounds like the 50 hp is the way to go on that rig.